Analysis Group Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Analysis Group President & CEO Martha S. Samuelson
Martha S. Samuelson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough but it comes with the territory (in 40 reviews)

• Very long hours depending on casework (in 28 reviews)

1. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good corporate culture and very smart colleagues

Cons

The hours can be unpredictable sometimes.

Advice to Management

Bring in more talented people as the firm grows.

2. "Great firm"

Former Employee - Case Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Analysis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for if you're looking for intellectually stimulating, complex work; strong collaborative culture; flexible case staffing approach

Cons

Unpredictable schedule and workload at times, and as with all consulting firms, some projects can be less interesting than others; flexible case staffing approach

Advice to Management

Ensure that culture is maintained as firm grows, but seek to introduce organizational changes - e.g., organized case staffing - that may work more effectively at larger firm

3. "Good experience"

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group as an intern

Pros

Great interview experience and really enjoyed talking to the senior people.

Cons

Not any I can think of. Benefits not as high for interns compared to other industries

4. "Analysis Group Analyst"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Analysis Group (Less than a year)

Pros

great people and great work culture!

Cons

hard interview and you work too much!

"Great place, great people"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time

Pros

Brilliant and nice coworkers. The people are generally caring and willing to invest in your future. If you let case managers know the kinds of experiences you would like to have on a case, they will generally help channel you to it. As a result, a lot depends on your ability to speak up and just let others know what is on your mind and how you would like your career to evolve.

My experience at the Associate level has been that Partners in the company want me to succeed, and many are willing to open their client and expert networks to me and let me help start managing our relationship with clients and experts on cases. Partners work together to bring in business, which leads to collaboration at many levels of the firm (e.g., there are no practice-area level P&L statements).

Excellent training in R, Python, SAS, STATA, VBA and Excel at the Analyst and Associate level. New training in case management has been recently introduced at the Associate and up level.

Extremely flexible work environment. Whenever one case wraps up, you have near total control over what you get staffed on next. There is a support system in place to help you change practice areas or look for the next thing if you get stuck in one position - you just need to reach out to it. Each new employee is given an Advisor and a Peer Mentor to help them navigate the flexibility. It is great if you would like to see many different industries.

Feedback at reviews are honest. The company will let you know when you're doing a great job, but also will tell you the areas you need to improve on and offer clear advice on what to do to address it. This can help you learn very quickly, especially early in your career.

Amazing company party at the MFA, yearly ski trip that the company covers for all employees, summer party with an open bar, and many other covered events. AG has several active sports teams that they sponsor throughout the year, from basketball to softball to tennis. At the Analyst level, the firm invests significant resources in helping people prepare for and apply to Graduate School (MBA/PhD/Other), including a formal process to help with essay review and to let you interview people who have graduated from the top schools you are interested in.

The negative reviews below are a bit sad to see. My experience has been that if you take advantage of the mentorship available to you, many people truly care and will help you find work that suits you. Nobody ever forces you to work with one particular manager, so if you are having a problem all you need to do is reach out and change the situation you're in. People afraid to do so might get stuck in a bad spot, which is the only way the negative reviews make sense to me.

Cons

Consulting hours! Some weeks can actually be 40. Many are closer to 50. When you are filing a case, it can be all hands on deck for 70-100 hours for short periods of time. Because of the flexibility in case staffing, you can try to guide yourself to have a controlled number of case filings a year.

There were previously some issues with a lack of formal case management training, but those have been addressed in recent years.

Advice to Management

Keep striving to stick to core company values while growing in size. There have been some growing pains, but I think we're learning from them appropriately as we go.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great firm to work for after graduate school. The work environment is supportive and collaborative.

Cons

There are no drawback working at this firm.

Advice to Management

Maintain the current culture

"Exciting work from management that values its employees"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fresh out of college, you are given the freedom to manage your own work.
    Brilliant managers.
    Friendly atmosphere.
    Training opportunities in Stata, SAS, python, R, excel, and more.

Cons

While most weeks are ~50 hours, you will work long hours during case filings (upwards of 100 possibly in the week leading up to filing) so you should just understand what your getting yourself into.

In order to move from senior analyst to associate, you need a graduate degree (MBA or phd generally) so you will generally have to leave the firm after 3-5 years to pursue more schooling.

8. "Great employer"

Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Intern - Summer Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a very fun environment to be challenged and work hard with very smart and talented individuals who are all passionate about the work.

Cons

It is very demanding to meet the needs of this company as their work is at a very high level.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Awesome place to start or build a career. Not for everyone? Sure."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internally, have done a great job over many years of consistently hiring smart, interesting, multi-dimensional, kind people.

Junior staff have designed training programs (both on analytical software and more generally) that are tailored to our work and provide a fantastic foundation for those working their first job out of college. Culture is built on junior staff delivering those training programs and otherwise making big contributions outside of casework by mentoring, recruiting, and so on. Firm has grown steadily but is still small enough (and style of management has remained loose enough) that new ideas from anyone can get traction. As an example, support for those applying to grad school is something that grew organically from a culture in which senior staff were happy to write recommendations and advise on essays to a formal workshop in which people invest a ton of time.

Externally, clients come to us with problems they can’t solve themselves or know little about, and we get to invent the research and analytical methods to tackle those problems, often working with top-tier academic experts along the way. Long-term relationships with law firms and companies that rely on not only our data-crunching but also our expertise and advice. Compared to other types of consulting, because we’re often looking backward, we get to work with much more hard/big data. This builds skills that, for those who don’t make a career here, are increasingly sought after on the market.

Cons

Some cons are true of any client work: somewhat unpredictable demand, and sometimes having to give in on decisions you disagree with.

Some cons cited in other reviews are pros for me, but remind me that this place isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. I enjoy working with detailed data -- playing around in a spreadsheet or catching a calculation error by an opposing expert is fun for me. If you don’t feel that way, or you’re not the kind of person who cares about getting the (perhaps unimportant) details right, or you want a guaranteed 9-to-5, you won’t be happy here. (That said, lack of travel compared to other consulting is the reason so many people can continue here long-term knowing they’ll see their families for dinner on a near-daily basis. Late nights, when they happen, are a result of case needs and not of face-time expectations.)

Flexible/employee-driven staffing model gives much more initiative and can lead to fantastic outcomes that a top-down staffing model couldn’t achieve (e.g., a bunch of people volunteering to pitch in at a deadline, and some of them discovering a new practice area they continue to work in). On the other hand, though there is a system of support for those who need help with staffing, those who are prone to anxiety under uncertainty or for whom some choice just makes the grass seem greener on other cases will see the drawbacks and not the benefits.

More holistic employee evaluations, without a fixed formula for compensation, are to me a huge pro -- the alternative would create pernicious incentives around billing and hurt the culture of helping each other out -- but for others a frustration in terms of the time commitment and level of qualitative judgment involved.

Advice to Management

I'm not a partner, nor was I asked to write this review. After reading what’s here I was motivated to give some balance between the perspective of the many happy people who have made long-term careers at AG vs. those for whom it doesn’t work out and who post disgruntled reviews upon leaving. The firm should listen to and learn as much as it can from the latter group, but as in the “cons” section above should keep in mind that some of the characteristics that are common complaints among those who are unhappy are the very same characteristics that make others happy.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Analysis Group just over three months in an administrative position. Although I can’t comment on the consulting experience, I can say that overall I have had a positive experience at Analysis Group (AG). When I first came to AG, people kept mentioning the culture and how it was laid back yet professional. I didn’t believe it until about 2 months in, when I realized that it really was that way! Having come from a very hierarchal previous employer, where ego and title trumped good ideas and conversation, working at AG has been a relief. Because of the more casual atmosphere, you can find Managing Partners talking to Analysts in the hallway and even have friendly conversations with the CEO, who you will see walking around the hallways. People are friendly and like to have a good time. There is constantly free food around and a ping pong table in case you need to blow off the steam. I hope prospective candidates will read this and know that they will be in good hands at AG, with interesting case work, friendly colleagues, and competitive pay/benefits.

Cons

I think the consulting career path can be tough on work/life balance, but you will encounter these issues at any consulting company. AG offers many benefits to employees to help manage this balance and HR is always helpful should there be any problems.