Analysis Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Analysis Group Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is tough but it comes with the territory (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours, lack of advancement (in 23 reviews)

"Awesome place to start or build a career. Not for everyone? Sure."

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Internally, have done a great job over many years of consistently hiring smart, interesting, multi-dimensional, kind people.

Junior staff have designed training programs (both on analytical software and more generally) that are tailored to our work and provide a fantastic foundation for those working their first job out of college. Culture is built on junior staff delivering those training programs and otherwise making big contributions outside of casework by mentoring, recruiting, and so on. Firm has grown steadily but is still small enough (and style of management has remained loose enough) that new ideas from anyone can get traction. As an example, support for those applying to grad school is something that grew organically from a culture in which senior staff were happy to write recommendations and advise on essays to a formal workshop in which people invest a ton of time.

Externally, clients come to us with problems they can’t solve themselves or know little about, and we get to invent the research and analytical methods to tackle those problems, often working with top-tier academic experts along the way. Long-term relationships with law firms and companies that rely on not only our data-crunching but also our expertise and advice. Compared to other types of consulting, because we’re often looking backward, we get to work with much more hard/big data. This builds skills that, for those who don’t make a career here, are increasingly sought after on the market.

Cons

Some cons are true of any client work: somewhat unpredictable demand, and sometimes having to give in on decisions you disagree with.

Some cons cited in other reviews are pros for me, but remind me that this place isn’t for everyone, and that’s OK. I enjoy working with detailed data -- playing around in a spreadsheet or catching a calculation error by an opposing expert is fun for me. If you don’t feel that way, or you’re not the kind of person who cares about getting the (perhaps unimportant) details right, or you want a guaranteed 9-to-5, you won’t be happy here. (That said, lack of travel compared to other consulting is the reason so many people can continue here long-term knowing they’ll see their families for dinner on a near-daily basis. Late nights, when they happen, are a result of case needs and not of face-time expectations.)

Flexible/employee-driven staffing model gives much more initiative and can lead to fantastic outcomes that a top-down staffing model couldn’t achieve (e.g., a bunch of people volunteering to pitch in at a deadline, and some of them discovering a new practice area they continue to work in). On the other hand, though there is a system of support for those who need help with staffing, those who are prone to anxiety under uncertainty or for whom some choice just makes the grass seem greener on other cases will see the drawbacks and not the benefits.

More holistic employee evaluations, without a fixed formula for compensation, are to me a huge pro -- the alternative would create pernicious incentives around billing and hurt the culture of helping each other out -- but for others a frustration in terms of the time commitment and level of qualitative judgment involved.

Advice to Management

I'm not a partner, nor was I asked to write this review. After reading what’s here I was motivated to give some balance between the perspective of the many happy people who have made long-term careers at AG vs. those for whom it doesn’t work out and who post disgruntled reviews upon leaving. The firm should listen to and learn as much as it can from the latter group, but as in the “cons” section above should keep in mind that some of the characteristics that are common complaints among those who are unhappy are the very same characteristics that make others happy.

"For those reading these reviews..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

...you *do* realize that anything above 2 stars is a review written by either a partner who is part of the culture perpetuating their problems or else by a current employee who feels their job is on the line if they don't say something positive, right?

Cons

You probably don't want to work for a company that lives and dies by Glassdoor reviews, to the point of writing fake ones to get a better rating, but does nothing to address the actual issues.

Advice to Management

Why bother giving "advice to management" - it would fall on the deafest of ears. They literally think they can do no wrong, which is mind boggling when you consider just how many former employees could sue the pants off of you for a myriad of issues.

"Great place to start a career; experiencing growing pains"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AG has been an excellent place to start my professional career. I learn a ton every day, and there is a huge emphasis placed on Analyst development at the firm. Learning takes place both formally, through trainings in programs such as SAS, R, Excel, and Stata, and organically, through an informal mentoring network between Analysts. The people here are also wonderful: a hard-to-find combination of smart, humble, and fun.

Cons

One of the most frustrating things about working here is the (lack of) work-life balance. Granted, this is consulting, and so having late nights is a given. However, this can be particularly difficult here because work seems to come in unpredictable waves, leaving Analysts with little to nothing to do one day and far too much work the next. I often don't know whether I will be home for dinner until dinner has passed. Additionally, as the firm grows bigger, the "internal labor market" on which it prides itself has been experiencing some growing pains. It can be much more difficult to switch practice areas or find work that you enjoy than the firm claims, and I don't think that the partners are thinking critically enough about how to restructure things given our growth, increasing rate of Analyst turnover, and struggle with work-life balance. In theory, AG has it right: giving Analysts freedom when it comes to finding work is a great display of the respect and autonomy that the firm gives us, but in practice, certain Analysts are rewarded for getting lucky with their first staffing assignment while other Analysts are left struggling to find interesting casework with good managers.

Advice to Management

Try to have more conversations with Analysts about how things are actually working in practice. It might not be necessary to completely overhaul the staffing model, but being open to suggestions would be prudent. It also might be wise to try to understand why some Analysts are leaving before the 4-year mark rather than simply hiring more new faces to replace them. Otherwise, keep up the good work of really respecting the work that is done by the consulting teams here.

"OK place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, good work, great opportunity to work with some of the biggest academicians. Pay is competitive, and benefits are OK.

Cons

You have to work with lawyers often. Tight deadlines, and work gets crazy occasionally - but that's part of the job. Management is bad and believes in sucking up to partners.

Advice to Management

Promote people on merit and not for 'yes man'. Provide opportunity for new graduates who are more current to lead analytical projects.

"Not For People Who Want Work-Life Balance"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is good and you get a signing bonus. There's lots of snacks in the kitchen. I also liked that they had in-house training for SAS, Stata, R, and other programs

Cons

There really isn't work-life balance, no matter what they say. If you were to come into the office at 8:30am and leave at 5:30pm, it would feel like you were the last one in and first one out. I found the office environment to be very intense and not necessarily warm or inviting. It might be that a lot of people are stressed because there always seem to be short deadlines on many projects. If you enjoy having lots of constant work and don't mind being in an office until 7 or 8pm, then you might be fine here.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very interesting work for those who are interested in applying economics theories/tools to real-life situations. AG has a very collegial and supportive environment. You will be surrounded by smart people who are also fantastic to work with.

Cons

The hours may be unpredictable sometimes, but this applies to the consulting industry as a whole. In fact, most of the case managers at AG do a pretty good job balancing the workloads for the team members.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Analysis Group just over three months in an administrative position. Although I can’t comment on the consulting experience, I can say that overall I have had a positive experience at Analysis Group (AG). When I first came to AG, people kept mentioning the culture and how it was laid back yet professional. I didn’t believe it until about 2 months in, when I realized that it really was that way! Having come from a very hierarchal previous employer, where ego and title trumped good ideas and conversation, working at AG has been a relief. Because of the more casual atmosphere, you can find Managing Partners talking to Analysts in the hallway and even have friendly conversations with the CEO, who you will see walking around the hallways. People are friendly and like to have a good time. There is constantly free food around and a ping pong table in case you need to blow off the steam. I hope prospective candidates will read this and know that they will be in good hands at AG, with interesting case work, friendly colleagues, and competitive pay/benefits.

Cons

I think the consulting career path can be tough on work/life balance, but you will encounter these issues at any consulting company. AG offers many benefits to employees to help manage this balance and HR is always helpful should there be any problems.

"Good Spot"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are rigorous, super smart and challenge me intellectually in ways I haven't seen elsewhere. Partnership is very invested in the firm and its culture. Despite being a firm where billable hours are important to the economics of the place, consulting staff is tremendously giving towards time spent developing less experiences colleagues and to internal firm initiatives. Well run, smart, and successful business that I am proud to be a part of.

Cons

Pace of work is steep and you need to be prepared for that. Must be comfortable with a firm that really values consensus- there is sometimes a tradeoff as regards the pace of change and progress because of this, but at the benefit of a generally higher quality, more thoughtful result.

10. "Really good"

Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

good learning opportunities and good benefits. really good culture.

Cons

this is a very niche industry.

"Great Company, Great Culture"

I have been working at Analysis Group full-time

Pros

AG's culture is really what sets it apart from other similar firms. Senior staff truly care about the employees and are actively involved in the development of every employee. The people at AG are very friendly, hard-working and intelligent, and there are also great benefits and employee perks, which really make AG a great place to work.

Cons

The hours can sometimes be long and unpredictable, but that is also the nature of consulting.