Analysis and Measurement Services Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Analysis and Measurement Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Challenging fast-paced work environment with a group of talented and personable people

Cons

The travel could be more than some people would like.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the front-line workers. Expand the initiative for flexible hours.

"Beautiful Offices, Wonderful Co-Workers!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Analysis and Measurement Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While working for AMS, I have gained many lasting friendships with my co-workers. We all get together outside the office to celebrate holidays, birthdays or just for fun! Everyday I find myself laughing and smiling at work! The buildings are gorgeous and newly renovated, the location is perfect (10 mins from turkey creek or 10 mins from the mall). The work is challenging and entertaining. You are able to learn new things and take on projects that highlight your best skills. The work is important, at AMS we are making a great positive impact on the world and helping to build up our world's energy sources. We have the opportunity to be and do innovate things.

Cons

Constant workload, I am always busy (but I prefer it that way!). Occasional overtime or long hours during projects. Too many meetings.

"Don't Walk - Run Away"

Current Employee - Engineer in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Really nice facility

Good people to work with at the lower levels

Great sense of companionship with your fellow galley slaves

The work is generally interesting and challenging

If you have the right manager, you'll always have the tools you need. If you don't, well...

Positive job outlook - the nuclear industry isn't going anywhere for at least one more generation

AMS will hang onto you as long as you'll stay, because so few will

You'll never wonder what our company president looks like, because his face is plastered everywhere

Office location is convenient to most of Knoxville

You get a broad depth of experience in all things related to the nuclear power industry

Cons

200 Hours / month expected minimum - you're lucky if that's all you have to work

Salaries are not comparable to the level of effort - most young graduates are started out in the 10th percentile

President of company controls every aspect of business, regardless of his capability to do so

70%+ turnover rate

President of the company believes that the 70% of people who leave are the problem, not him

Tries to run the company like "a family," which really means you swear familial loyalty to him and he does nothing for you

401(k) match is PITIFUL. Only up to $2000, regardless of your contribution, and can't start contributing for a YEAR after you sign on

Comp time is paid out at 1/2 day for every 1 weekend day worked...but only if you're on travel at a customer's facility. No comp time after you cross the "$90k/year threshold."

Pay for salaried employees is done illegally - once a month

Everybody operates in "don't make the boss mad" mode all the time

Lots of square pegs in round holes - like mechanical engineers overseeing the design of high speed RF measurement circuitry

President's moods are unpredictable, as is the fallout from them

President thinks that every single person is replaceable, and doesn't care about turnover rate

President will pay lip service to the hard workers, but has yet to come through on many of his promises

Management from above is either micro or throw you in and see if you can swim - zero mentoring or real resources available to younger people on the executive path

Member of staff actually killed himself at least partially due to the job

Advice to Management

Start rewarding the hardest workers with money and time off, instead of empty words

Pay people what it takes to keep them

Fix your incredibly lame 401(k) program

Offer straight time or 1 for 1 comp time for weekends worked

Know that you are currently the laughingstock of new graduates in the Knoxville area

Pay people what they're worth

"“Great company, great people!”"

Pros

AMS is a great place to work. Not only are the benefits excellent, the people are great to work with. The work is varied and keeps you engaged and excited. AMS is a leading nuclear engineering consulting firm that provides equipment, training, and testing services to nearly all 100 nuclear power plants in the U.S. and many across the world. The company is growing at a fast rate and is full of exciting opportunities.

Cons

The workload can be demanding at times (but change doesn’t happen without challenge!); communication across departments could be improved.

"I like it here!"

Pros

My experience has been a great one, I can't complain. Depending on what role you have here opinions may vary, so I'm not speaking for anyone but myself. My colleagues are excellent to work with. Good atmosphere. I feel appreciated for what I contribute to the company. I personally feel that I am fairly compensated for my contributions. I've been here 3+ years. The offices are beautiful too.

Cons

The disparity (favoritism) between employees.