Analytical Environmental Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
David Zweig

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Here for the long term"

Current Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work and play hard at AES. Great group of people to work with - from admin staff to managers. Have after work activities like sports teams and nights out. Have a wide variety of challenging and interesting projects. Opportunities for rapid advancement for those who live up to the challenge. Good pay and average benefits. Always someone to ask questions to and focus on teamwork.

Cons

Need to screen new hires better. They sometimes pick really mal-adjusted people who do not work out.

Advice to Management

Slow down, take a step back and continue to focus on the positive.

2. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Hires people right out of college and people without a consulting background
    -Small enough so employees gain experience with different types of projects and components of various documents
    -Projects focus mainly on Native American Tribes and vineyards in the Napa/Sonoma area

Cons

-Company runs on fear and anger (chain of yelling)
    -Blame is often passed around and lands on the newer/younger employees
    -Bonding with co-workers comes mainly from being disgruntled and/or being treated unfairly by management
    -Pay is well below average at any level of employment and raises are insignificant
    -Company is known in the area for being shady and unethical
    -Company does not support or invest in professional development (aka. training or mentoring)
    -More frequently requires working on weekends without compensation
    -Promotions do not occur unless others leave, although workload will increase approximately 2 years before promotions are even considered
    -Company has very high turnover with most employees staying for well under 2 years

Advice to Management

Invest in employees

3. "Environmental Analyst"

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AES provides good early exposure to a unique variety of projects. Due to the small size of the firm you "get" to be involved in all sections and steps of the process which can help you have a wider perspective early in your career. If you are a highly technical writer, who asks few questions about methodology - you will fit in well.

Cons

The business model is built on employing lots of young people (mostly women) right out of college who are paid well below industry standards. This results in a company culture of young employees who don't know what to expect out of most firms and a sense of pride of how hard, painful, and oppressive work is. There is no official compensation time or flexibility which can make the billable expectations and natural ebbs and flows stressful. There is no early professional development, leading to employees with declining CEQA NEPA knowledge and less competitive in the market. Everyone is nice, but it isn’t a place to grow, and it always kind of feels like you are being watched and about to mess up. The "sink or swim" environment is sold as a mark of exceptional work - but it just means there is no training and it is stressful. There isn’t much middle management, which creates a weird stratification and limited opportunities. The place is based the high turnover rate. Most people don't last, but it isn’t because AES has some amazing standard. Bottom line, if you want to know what it is like at AES, google how to lower employee turnover - then expect the exact opposite.

Advice to Management

Train and mentor new employees and pay competitively.

4. "Good resume builder. Low pay"

Former Employee - Environmental Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Environmental Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the amount of exposure I had right away to a number of projects. Overall, the staff was welcoming and friendly. I gained experience editing and reviewing both EIS's and EIR's. They throw a lot at you right away, but my position was great experience for me starting right out of college. They offer a good health benefits package.

Cons

The job posting advertised that they "offered competitive salaries", but they did not offer me a salary. They offered a very low hourly-wage. The environment is "sink or swim", and they offer little training or guidance. I was often unclear of what was expected of me, so I had to ask a lot of questions.

Advice to Management

Provide training to new employees!

5. "Pretty good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services (More than 3 years)

Pros

Looking through the other reviews for AES, the comments seem to be split between those who "love" the company and those who can't stand it. This strikes me as a rather funky sample of those who work (or have worked) at the company, but I guess that is the norm these days for online reviews. From my perspective, I would say that the company is a good fit for a motivated person who wants to learn and progress in their careers. This is not a great place for someone wants to chill-out for long periods around the water cooler and coast towards the end of each day. AES is also an environment where you can learn from pretty smart people. Some of the projects are relatively complex, so I feel better knowing that the company has very competent staff members and project managers. Also, to me at least the physical work environment is great, almost beautiful (but that is probably over the top). I have worked for big prestigious companies that often had rather dumpy or overly cramped physical environments. I find the AES office to be a physically pleasant space to work.

Cons

Communication between professionals is sometimes rather cryptic and less than clear. Because projects often progress at a rapid pace, if you work at AES, make sure you insert yourself into the information loop so you know the latest status of each project. Also, the company has some fun corporate events that occur outside of the office. The annual Holiday Party is really fun! But right now, there are about 3 formal company events a year (besides what the staff organizes on their own, such as intermural kickball). It would be nice to have one more event each year. Finally, the company does not have a formal mentoring program. Part of this is because the company isn't super big. But you will need to expend some effort on your own to develop professional relationships within the company.

Advice to Management

See above "cons"

6. "The best of the best"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Started many years ago knowing almost nothing about the environmental review process, and now I am an expert. I owe this to the mentorship and experiences I have had at AES. David Zweig is an astute business leader and highly respected in his field. In fact the entire management team and staff is top notch. I would never want to work anywhere else.

Cons

Workload is sometimes uneven. The company focus is on the clients and quality of work, which sometimes requires rising to the occasion and getting the work done with a nearly impossible schedule.

Advice to Management

Don't change anything!

7. "Full of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services (More than 8 years)

Pros

Get thrown in to fast paced and exciting projects. Dynamic environment. Never had a problem with workplace flexibility or getting help when I need it. Boss and management are always supportive, fair, and reasonable. Higher than average pay and generous mid-year and end of year bonuses.

Cons

Sometimes controversial and demanding projects which require extra effort to succeed. Little tolerance for poor quality work and laziness, which apparently is an issue with a few former employees.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and do not be discouraged by naysayers.

8. "Huge employee turn-over; Poor upper management, employees are people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Analytical Environmental Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great client base.

Cons

Owner is very oppressive, will fire employees without much consideration for previous hard work. Owner wont solve critical staffing chain of command issues. It was difficult for me to determine who my supervisor was.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills and realize your employees work very hard for you to be successful, not the other way around.

9. "Great place for driven consultants"

I have been working at Analytical Environmental Services full-time

Pros

Open job description allows multiple career options for consultants
    Unique specialty allows for company stability, been in the black since doors opened in 2001
    Great group of employees to work with

Cons

Truly a small consulting firm which many new to the field find difficult to swallow,
    Maybe too open to giving new graduates a chance, leading to a feeling that turnover is high

Advice to Management

Continue to adapt

10. "Low pay, great job"

Current Employee - Environmental Analyst II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Environmental Analyst II in Sacramento, CA

Pros

Flexible Schedule
    Flexible Casual Attire
    Dynamic Technical Work
    CEQA and NEPA work opportunities
    Working for one of the most prestigious Feet-to-Trust experts in the USA.

Cons

LOW PAY RATES
    Super low bonuses
    Training is minimal and thrown into writing without much experience.
    Wearing multiple hats but not being compensated for it.
    No real opportunities to excel, advance, or move up.

Advice to Management

INCREASE pay and maybe the turn over rate wouldn't be so large. Most everyone loves their job, but it's hard to survive and give 100% when the bills at home are barely getting paid.