Analytical Graphics Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Paul L. Graziani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Classic innovator's dilemma, tries too hard to be nice"

I worked at Analytical Graphics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has a mature process and knows how to deliver solid products.
    Some extremely smart people while I was there.
    CEO is stellar, knows you by name and is a great leader.
    Free food, free gym, flexible working schedule.
    Good intentions, AGI does _try_ to be a great place to work for.

Cons

Mediocre middle management; constantly playing politics and being artificially nice instead of being analytical and result driven.
    Company is chasing shiny projects and trying to reinvent itself but there is too much institutional stagnation and resentment from other teams. If you work on the new projects, this is a great company to work for.
    Little growth. My manager didn't care about my project or me. I can only assume because I didn't work for the projects that he came up with.
    Poor C title upper management aside from CEO. They were innovative when the company was starting but have rested on their laurels since then due to indifference.
    The talented people that built the company are envious and feel neglected - too much gossip and negativity.

Advice to Management

Management is torn between loyalty, innovation, and "being nice" to everybody.
    Product teams resented each other and the environment was cancerous. I hear the company is hiring like-minded individuals and slowly ignoring the senior staff / STK team, hoping the senior staff will move on and AGI doesn't have to be confrontational. Which is fine I think - but it's a sad way to reward those who built the company.

My advice to management is to listen to those who feel disenfranchised and try to show empathy. Instead of trying to be nice to everybody, be direct and go back to the roots of having a singular vision.

2. "Once great now not much at all"

I worked at Analytical Graphics full-time

Pros

Founder has great energy and believes in everyone. Has invested life in this business and he truly believes in it and its people.

Nice perks.

Cons

Someone needs to understand what got you here won't get you there. Relies on a lackluster COO (and supporting cast) who is barely enthused about his work after disrupting the company with a number of in distractions some years back.

Most of the long term folks are hanging on due to the good nature of the founder, which has probably weakened the organizations position over the last 5 years.

Advice to Management

Turnover most of senior leadership with a mix of experience leaders and energetic rising stars.

3. "Intern Review"

Pros

Free food: breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Generally laid back work environment. Making real contributions.

Cons

Mentorship dropped as time went on and not in a "you're independent now" kind of way. Was switched dev areas and given little time to reramp up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good word but ensur mentorship is good in all areas instead of just a few.

4. "Onward and out"

Pros

Free meals, nice facilities to work in.

Cons

We never get the truth, just a story through rose colored glasses. When we lose money, "it is market conditions" working against us, not our fault.

Advice to Management

Hire some people that know what they re doing. Tell the employees the truth.

5. "Smoke and mirrors"

Pros

Nice facilities and amenities, food and gym

Cons

CEO and upper management is living in a fantasy, dream world. They talk about grandiose plans for the company and how we all will get rich. In reality there is no real sustainable business plan. A dream without a plan is a wish, they are wishing upon a star. Upper management is full of puppets for the CEO.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your friends and get some competent people with experience. Look to people that have succeeded in business and take their advice.

6. "A wonderful company that treats its employees well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Pros

Amazing work environment. Very low drama or politics. Everyone there just wants to get things done and the workforce is pretty competent across the board, especially in technical disciplines. I've never been at a company where I have felt more valued before or since. Great family environment, too, with lots of community outreach and family activities. The workforce has a wide variety of experience levels, so there is always someone to learn from.

Cons

Because it's so great there, there isn't much turnover, which means there aren't a lot of positions that open up to grow into and there are decades of happy employees ahead of you when it comes to career advancement. Also, the culture can sometimes be *too* nice without taking corrective action to employees that get too comfortable.

Advice to Management

Set clear, high standards for all employees. Almost everyone meets these already, but it's demoralizing when the people that don't never improve.

7. "Fantastic product, great work environment, smart colleagues."

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

System Toolkit (STK) is a fabled product; an industry standard simulation software used in the aerospace/defense
    industry as well as in academia. The product is really unbelievably cool; and it is an honor to work with the
    subject matter experts and the engineers that helped bring the product to its current state.

Great perks: free breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, gym and laundry.

Cons

Working in the defense area has its challenges when the going is rough, but that is common knowledge.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!!

"Transparency, good people, and interesting software engineering/aerospace products make for a rewarding work experience"

I have been working at Analytical Graphics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AGI has a good stock of extremely talented people. It is good to be part of a culture where everyone seems to care about pulling their weight and maintaining relevant and sharpened skills in their technical areas of expertise. It is not uncommon for groups of us to break away from lunch in the cafeteria (more on that later) to watch online courses and talks on leading practices in our industry. To the next extreme, there are several on staff that author industry leading publications. There is no corporate mandate that makes us do this, we all seem to want to be good at what we do; I think that is an important corporate culture.

AGI reciprocates this effort put in by the employees. Most notable (to me at least) is that AGI has a kitchen crew on staff. This isn't just french fries and burgers (although we all love burger day). It varies from day to day, but we'll have asian stirfry day, taco day, cheese steak day, beef in red wine sauce, sushi day, and so on. There's always a sandwich bar, salad bar, fresh pizzas. All of this is free; breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It is not uncommon to occasionally bring the family for dinner. There is also a free gym in the building, free laundry machines, amongst other perks.

Perks aside, I'd like to point out AGI's commitment to communication and corporate transparency. Every friday, we do a bigger than normal lunch. While we all eat, someone from senior management runs the event we all call Story Time (for historcial reasons). We learn about upcoming business opportunities, see technical demonstrations of new work coming out of engineering, sales updates, corporate strategies, and so on. Every week the company is giving us a pulse on the company and where we are heading. This is opposite of what I’m used to seeing in industry; typical organizations trickled down information through the levels of management.

For career growth, I see a ton of opportunity in this company to make a difference in our products. Our software is an industry standard (my perception before I joined the company), and it means a lot to me to add value to the products. Your job is what you chose to make out of it, and there’s no bureaucracy here to keep you from getting what you want out of your career. Quite the opposite actually, as I feel I’ve been given amazing opportunities and my professional career has grown more than I could have imagined.

Finally, I feel as there is good stability in this company. The products developed here fill such an important role in our industry that I can’t imagine a future without them. 25 years of product development has allowed AGI to establish itself as a leader in Modeling and Analysis in the Aerospace industry. If I’m not mistaken, we’ve finished one of our best quarters and fiscal years in the history of the company.

Cons

The company is investing heavily in new product development -- wait that doesn’t sound like a con. The problem is that we are spread too thin maintaining our flagship products and advancing future products. We all want to see more progress, but can’t quite reach the velocity that we need to get there. As a result, a lot of us are wearing many hats, and we lack talent redundancy in essential areas. I’d also like to see the company more proactive in providing upgrades workstations and laptops. My expectation is that as the flywheel gains momentum on these new initiatives, these problems will dissolve.

"Sinking ship"

Pros

Good work life balance. Good benefits.

Cons

No loyalty to workforce. Management does not take ownership for company's shortcomings.

"Great Benefits, But a Career Killer"

I worked at Analytical Graphics full-time

Pros

Free food! Gym. Flexible working hours. Good-hearted employees.

Cons

Any professionalism you bring to the job will disappear since this company has no professionalism. Your strong work ethic will be compromised as you realize that it doesn't matter to management if you work hard or it you put in 20 hours of mediocre work a week, despite being FT. Senior management will listen to your suggestions, but ultimately will ignore anything they don't come up with themselves. They do not make good business decisions, allowing poor performers to stay and incentivizing high performers to leave. While top management may think they are doing the right thing for their employees, they are misguided and will not accept this criticism no matter how many employees or consultants say the exact same thing. The other negative reviews are spot-on.

Advice to Management

Let go of ego and make business decisions based on fact not gut-feel.