Analytical Mechanics Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Renjith Kumar

1. "The best company to work for in Hampton Roads"

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Hampton, VA

Pros

AMA has some of the best corporate values that you can find in the Hampton Roads area. As a professional senior software engineer, I have some core values regarding aspects such as the usage of cutting-edge technology, personal growth, workplace diversity, and the ethical practice of software discipline. Folks at AMA adhere to most of these principles. I feel entirely committed to my position because my employer shares most of my values. Please visit the company’s mission statement and history on its website in order to gain an understanding of its values. Those are not just words, people here at AMA actually make every effort to practice the mission statement. If you are being interviewed, please do not hesitate to ask the hiring manager what he or she feels are the company’s most important values and accomplishments.

The company has great reputation, and many of the clients of companies involved in software and engineering activities are related to NASA Langley. If you are being interviewed, please do not hesitate to research the company’s business reputation in trade publications and news articles, as well as online via social media. You'll find positive comments from almost all of the serious people.

As far as the management/leadership style is concern, your direct supervisor will be very helpful in every aspect of work. I don't have enough words to praise the work environment at AMA. Career advancement is provided with training and development programs the AMA offers. I find the culture here to be flexible enough for any professional who values work-life balance.

Cons

Not experienced any problem to date.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the good work you've been doing for the past many years!

2. "Would not recommend for administrative positions"

I have been working at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can work remotely, lots of sick/personal leave and vacation time, comp time for non-exempt employees, decent health insurance.

Cons

Do not expect fair pay in an admin role. Expect to take on anything and everything and not receive even a cost of living raise that covers cost of living, if you start in an admin role you will likely never have the opportunity to move up in the company. I'm currently being paid $15-$20k under what the entry level salary would be for the role I'm performing in the company. I received a bachelor's degree while working here and was told that getting a degree does not mean I get a raise, so I didn't get a raise or a title change to match the work I was performing.

The attitude of the corporate office to anyone working remotely is that of annoyance. Very difficult to receive help from certain individuals and a very cold reception into the company. No training provided for most everything when working remotely, and if you're not one of the higher-ups, expect to be waiting a long time for people to get back to you.

Advice to Management

Don't stiff your employees just because they're not engineers. The administrative team works just as hard as the technical team. It's unfair to pile on any kind of work and any amount of work on the administrative employees and assume they don't have to work overtime or deserve fair compensation or titles for the work they perform.

3. "Not a good place for long term work"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Hampton, VA

I worked at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some projects in NASA are interesting and some colleagues are nice and talented.

Cons

AMA is just a general contractor, job security is always a big issue. Many projects are very boring. HR is not very efficient either.

Advice to Management

More HR reps.

"Autonomy"

Current Employee - Engineer 8 in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Engineer 8 in Hampton, VA

Pros

Great location, interesting work, a company that tries to look out for its employees

Cons

None that I know of so far

"Confidential"

Former Employee - Confidential in Newport News, VA
    Former Employee - Confidential in Newport News, VA

I worked at Analytical Mechanics Associates (Less than a year)

Pros

They have some of the smartest and talented people I've ever met.

Cons

Senior management is very dysfunctional and utterly incompetent. Lots of politics internally. The worst I've ever seen and I'm amazed they have achieved any sort of success at all. There is never any accountability for their failures but instead they blame their underlings who had often times little or no involvement in what failed. I couldn't wait to leave.

Advice to Management

Survey your people anonymously and see who the real effective leaders are. You might be surprised at the results. Including that survey result in their performance metric would change how they treat their people.

"could be an ideal job or one's worst nightmare"

I have been working at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment with talented and colleagues. Interesting projects and collaborations available. Heartening company values and caring management. Many of the employees on center are some of the most passionate and driven people I have met.

Cons

These cons only apply to the location I worked -

The workplace is something of an employee's limbo. Stepping on the wrong toes, even with the best intentions and in adherence to QMS will land you in serious hot water.

There is seemingly no accountability for management with a tendency to push off blame for project shortcomings onto grunts. Moreover requirements are often communicated poorly and very late. Lastly, it's painfully apparent that degrees are valued more than results both in salaries and the conference room.

8. "Company is steadily growing"

I have been working at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

A lot of contracting work

"Company that cares about employees and customer"

Current Employee - Programmer in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I also work at NASA as a contractor. So this is my fourth company while I have been here. They are responsive when you have questions and since most employees are all engineers of computer science they can relate to your job. You don't get reviews that cover nothing that you work on which is what happened with all my past companies. The benefits are the best I have had at any of the companies. The best part about this company is the owner. He walks around when he is in various buildings and stops in and says hi. He knows all his employees by name and speaks to them when he sees them which still amazes me with so many people. Even when they are making changes to benefits they meet with you and explain why something must change and they try to usually give options and gets input back from everyone before making a decision. I am really pleased with this company. On my task I get to work on things I never would anywhere else. I am always learning new things and look forward to going to work everyday....which is a huge pro. On career opportunities I ranked high not because of advancement in management which is not high here but advancement in career professionally. I get to work with legends in my field every day , publish papers and get involved in things that may not be specific task but things I am interested in learning more about.

Cons

The cons with this job are the same with all government contractor jobs you can be gone so job security is a worry. That said I have worked here as NASA as a contractor for over 15 years but you always worried if the budget gets cut or the program your are assigned to gets cut. However, then you do have NASA on your resume when you go to look for another job. This company does have other contracts and tries to move you to another NASA task or another contract. But that is just this environment . When the government budget gets cut it is the contractors who will be let go and it is very difficult getting a civil servant job.

"Great pay and benefits, courteous and professional management"

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hampton, VA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Hampton, VA

I worked at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits, well run company, awesome to work at NASA

Cons

I'm putting more words under cons but in fact the pros outweigh the cons.

Job security if your NASA customer is not happy. My job at NASA was inspiring to me but job duties are narrowly defined with little opportunity for finding creative solutions in a team environment and little in the way of simultaneous engineering across functions; some NASA rules reduce efficiency. Mostly one customer, NASA contracts (but they are working and succeeding in getting other business)

"Company cares about employees"

Current Employee - Programmer IV in Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Programmer IV in Hampton, VA

I have been working at Analytical Mechanics Associates full-time

Pros

When task ends they try to keep you employed my moving you to other task. Benefits great and they try to work with employees for personal problems that require time off.

Cons

Typical government contract structure which requires multiple reports .