Ancestry Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Ancestry Chief Executive Officer Margo Georgiadis
Margo Georgiadis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Excellent benefits and solid work/life balance" (in 45 reviews)

• "Lots of knowledgable people and great benefits" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "no sense of upper management direction" (in 20 reviews)

• "They don't say it when they hire but it's a call center" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love the new direction of the company"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time

Pros

New leadership team is finally getting us organized and aligned to operate at full speed.

Cons

Growing space pains. SF office space and conference rooms are limited, but this may be due to the current construction and build out of additional floors.

Advice to Management

Really great to see what the new P&T leadership team is putting into place. Before it felt like we were all silo'd. Now we're operating as one agile/efficient engine with all parts moving in the right direction. P&T's leader, Nat, takes the time to listen to employees and then thoughtfully makes changes that have improved our work flow. I'm excited to see the strategy now that Margo is in place.

2. "Senior Accountant"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working at a Company that is very customer focused. I also love that we have a mission statement that is front and center. It is clear executives buy into the mission and empower employees to make a difference. Ancestry supports employees with fantastic benefits and fair compensation.

Cons

Collaboration is a work in progress. Management talks a lot about increasing collaboration, but I have not seen it yet.

"Amazing Product, Great employees, Private Equity Deathgrip"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ancestry's mission, product, and employees are fantastic.

Compensation has been fairly aggressively worked on, although it depends on the segment of the company. There's a lot to be said for much of the new leadership, despite many of the negative reviews here.

Margo is an excellent CEO and the company is far better off with her at the helm* (*with as much leeway as the board/private equity firms allow).

Cons

There's been a brain and passion drain from the company over the past several years as many of the pillars that made the company what it is have found themselves unwelcome.

Additionally, Private Equity (notably silverlake) destroys everything it touches. You have incredibly intrusive personalities torpedoing chances of success on solid products, and diverting massive resources to boondoggles.

Finally, there are a few leaders still kicking around that are purely toxic. Thankfully, unless you're in the wrong org, your interactions with them will be blessedly minimal, but it's disturbing that despite almost universal dislike and fear of some of them, they're still running the show.

Advice to Management

Focus more on solving customer problems than business ones.

4. "Awesome Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people here are top notch! Everyone strives for excellence. The benefits aren't too bad either.

Cons

While there has been some improvement, cross-functional communication and collaboration is still lacking.

"Leaders exiting"

I worked at Ancestry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company leaders (well their backers anyway) want revenue growth at any cost it seems. They focus on short-term growth without the distraction of quality employee experience.

Cons

As they pursue dna revenue, tech quality suffered. The leaders (who are mostly in SF) disparage "Utah HQ" and seek their own success over their employees.

Advice to Management

The recent CMO exit was fortuitous as it exemplified the friction and leadership cannibalism that drove out so many talented people.

6. "Evolving and Exciting Company"

Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ancestry has a unique business model that is a mix of ecommerce, subscription, and a social platform rolled into one. Building out the social aspect of the platform is a priority at the moment which is quite cool.

Cons

The company and thus head count continues to grow but some teams are still resource constrained.

"Poor leadership"

I worked at Ancestry full-time

Pros

Great product and service that employees can be proud of.

Cons

Leaders continue to say the right thing but have consistently proven they don’t mean it. The downward spiral in the culture started when the CFO took over as interim CEO. Although long known within the finance org as a poor leader who only looks out for himself, the appointment of him as interim CEO allowed him to introduce his dishonesty and narcissistic ways to the rest of the Company. Although there were high hopes when a permanent CEO joined, there have been no improvements thus far.

Advice to Management

Solve problems—don’t just point them out.

"Good Information Below"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently deleted my two star review to show that the current position of Ancestry is a win.

No matter your level, Ancestry is an amazing place to work. The new CEO is raising standards every day winning the hearts of all employees. With new Equity benefits for all employees there has never been a better time to join Ancestry.

I can not speak for all teams but from my observations it appears that Ancestry has done an amazing job at keeping toxic individuals out. My team is the closest and most fun team that I have ever been apart of.

Cons

Private Equity is running the show.

Advice to Management

Continue the trend of focusing our forces on the customer and the average employee. Long term sustainable goals have never been, "Let PE vultures run the show." Focus on the true value of Ancestry, which has always been connecting individuals with our Ancestors.

9. "Clear vision and mission statement of the CEO. Very nice coworkers."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Old stable company. But having a new age startup culture. Free food on Monday and subsidized food on other days, plenty of snacks. Now the company is offering RSUs as well.

Cons

Not really technology agnostic. I believe the company should encourage employees more towards research.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. The field of work of this company is very interesting one. The management should encourage its engineering employees with good support towards research. I am somewhat new in this company. May be the company is doing it already.

10. "Great people great company"

I worked at Ancestry full-time

Pros

People are great to work with

Cons

Be more open about future plans for company