Ancestry Reviews | Glassdoor

Ancestry Chief Executive Officer Margo Georgiadis
Margo Georgiadis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "no sense of upper management direction" (in 20 reviews)

• "Arrogant executives from San Francisco who think they are amazing but are just corporate puppets who were good at the corporate growth game" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love the new direction of the company"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time

Pros

New leadership team is finally getting us organized and aligned to operate at full speed.

Cons

Growing space pains. SF office space and conference rooms are limited, but this may be due to the current construction and build out of additional floors.

Advice to Management

Really great to see what the new P&T leadership team is putting into place. Before it felt like we were all silo'd. Now we're operating as one agile/efficient engine with all parts moving in the right direction. P&T's leader, Nat, takes the time to listen to employees and then thoughtfully makes changes that have improved our work flow. I'm excited to see the strategy now that Margo is in place.

"Positive Shifts are in the making!"

Current Employee - A Person of Value (AKA: Anonymous) in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - A Person of Value (AKA: Anonymous) in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the addition of Margo as our CEO and after our last all-hands meeting, I'm seeing the desire and can feel the intent to ensure every concern and fear is eliminated. I know with growth spurts (which Ancestry has been experiencing) the ground employees are familiar with can feel unstable. All employees had an opportunity to share confidential feedback. In our all-hands meeting, all concerns were addressed and then it was communicated that a plan will be put in place to ensure we correct all negative impacts the employees feel. I appreciate hearing from the CEO level, first of all an apology for how these changes have felt and then a confirmation that we want to be better than this and do want to put our employees first so we can continue to deliver the passion we all have for the product we produce. I feel thankful to be with an organization where we create a product so full of purpose and connection. I've heard and read reviews from current employees and it makes my heart sad; however, I'm feeling and believe there will be much improvement in the next year and years to come. I believe it's a great time to be a part of a company who has the correct intent and purpose behind our people and our product. Cheers to people and leaders who care!

Cons

There is a lot of work to be done, this last year has been hard on a lot of our valuable employees who have been the core creators of who we are. For those who left when it was scary, I worry the grass will not be more green and regret could come into play. Even with our rocky-road this last year, our product's purpose is still a great reason to be a part of Ancestry. The con here, is people jumping ship creates more work for those who of us who still believe and stick it out through the rough times. I want to say "thank you" to all those employees who have stayed with Ancestry (including me) and believe we are everything I know we are and will be in the future!

Advice to Management

LISTEN to those who care and have the passion; who have been here and created what you recently came into. Communicate the value every person brings to the product we create. Give your direct reports time and in-person meetings, look them in the eye and give confirmation that their opinion does matter. Showing you care takes more than sending an email.

3. "Data Scientist"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time

Pros

Meaningful product, friendly people, opportunity to learn and impact business, Good work and life balance, great vacation benefits.

Cons

Moves a little too slow for it's size.

4. "Exciting Place to Work"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere with smart, energetic employees! Excited about the new CEO and her plans for the company’s future. CMO challenges the status quo. Company’s product creates an unparalleled emotional connection to your family history.

Cons

San Francisco location is expensive place to live and the city’s political atmosphere has let the city deteriorate.

Advice to Management

More stock ownership opportunities for employees. Create a culture of ownership.

5. "So happy I joined the Ancestry family!"

I have been working at Ancestry full-time

Pros

I recently joined Ancestry and the culture and company are even better than I imagined. With a new CEO, the company is focused and passionate about our mission and vision! The work/life balance promotes employee engagement and makes me excited to come to work everyday.

Cons

Why didn't I know about this great company sooner?! :)

6. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently joined the company and I couldn't be happier! I love the spirit of this company and how it is growing and evolving. The company has an amazing focus on customers and amazing customers!!! I am so glad I decided to join Ancestry!

Cons

There are pockets of immaturity in the company.

Advice to Management

keep pushing forward!

"Asking for reviews is tacky"

Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company has a solid history but its future is at risk.

Cons

Leaders recently asked for reviews to put up here. Several colleagues and I found that tacky. It speaks to how they miss the point that great work and employee centricity breeds genuine, positive reviews.

Advice to Management

Offer genuine leadership and don't coerce employees for kind words .

"Meets Expectations, Sub-par for Industry Standard"

Pros

Ancestry is filled with great employees and supervisors, management.

Cons

Upper management has the, "we're the cool kids and do what we want" vibe.

Advice to Management

Don't send out mass emails begging for artificial reviews. Earn them through policy change and improving moral. 2 Stars is meant to offset your fake reviews, mostly by interns/new hires.

9. "QA Editor"

I worked at Ancestry full-time

Pros

Flexible hours and great management.

Cons

The pay is not great, but there are opportunities for yearly raises based on performance.

"Strong business, not so strong leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ancestry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Strong business with good margins growing at a good rate
    - New CEO seems to be level-headed and might set a good direction for future
    - Some of the engineering leaders are good (SVP of Platform and part of his leadership)
    - People are passionate
    - Company has good purpose helping other people

Cons

- 70-80% of leadership is weak (inc CFO, CMO and EVP of Product and Tech)
    - Sub-par engineering talent due to below average compensation failing to attract top talent
    - No vision for beating competition and/or keeping/increasing current growth rate at a sustained level

Advice to Management

Fix compensation, divert some of the EBIDTA toward employees, and you'll get better talent and productivity