Cover image for Ancestry

Ancestry

Engaged Employer

Ancestry

Add a Review

Ancestry Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Apr 3, 2021

77 Comments

Tech

626.2K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Ancestry~243532
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about Ancestry? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with Ancestry employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Ancestry and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company in theory

Feb 7, 2016 - Document Imaging Specialist in Silver Spring, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

great coworkers and camaraderie. That was about the only thing good about working there was how diverse and friendly everyone was.

Cons

upper management, wages, working conditions. Upper management was clueless about the way things were run in our office. They were EXTREMELY strict on all fronts. On top of that, the pay (when specified on the job announcement) was $12-$14 but when you are hired EVERYONE starts at $12 no matter what. In the 2 years I worked there I only gained .50 cent raise. That was TWO RAISES. And everyone got the same. There is no room to express your assets to the company to say why you deserve more. There is also VERY little room for growth. Management definitely plays favorites and there are few opportunities to rise through the ranks.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee

Love the product but no the people with power

Apr 22, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Decent benefit (unlimited pto) - Company paid 50% of food cost - You'll never get fired. manager will hint, you should look around other teams. - Nice new building - Decent holiday parties

Cons

- Too many people in the upper management who goes up the ladder for the wrong reason. It's all about the money and power. Not because they care for what they do. - There are guys at ancestry who will literally point fingers for no reason. And a lady who yells all the time over the phone and snaps at people but unfortunately as in the pros, they wont fire anyone! Can we be more professional at work? - Cafeteria food could be better and not so good variety - Too many different managers who give all the raises and bonuses to their favorites. - Never have lunch with CEO. All the does is look up at the clock every 5 mins while he is talking. - CTO loves to change up the org and re arrange your team. Apparently doesnt care too much for team dynamics.

4 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the Ancestry team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Old Ancestry is gone. New Ancestry is terrible

Oct 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people on my team and other teams are great!

Cons

Two words 'Corporate Greed'. Upper management only looks out for #1. They take all the glory and none of the blame. The real people that deserve props are the Architects, Devs and Ops teams that are actually making these big projects happen. All Upper management talks about are how their Executive retreats went while they were being wined and dined. Meanwhile back at Corporate some of us are working 80 hour weeks with ZERO additional compensation. They work you to the bone and expect you to be grateful that they are paying our salaries. In the last few years the culture has done a 180.

11 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A Great Place to Work

Jun 3, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ancestry offers competitive salaries and generous bonuses, and they are very family-friendly and flexible. Ancestry is in a period of growth and improvement, so there are lots of opportunities to acquire new skills and exposure to new technologies. Upper management is very concerned with staying ahead of the curve in efficiency and technology. We're in the middle of an exciting 'tech transition,' moving from .NET and proprietary technologies to open-source ones like Node.js, Python, and others.

Cons

Because Ancestry is in something of a transitional period, things can get a bit bumpy. That is, while there are many new projects and initiatives, often times the infrastructure or other support for them is not yet there for you, or it's in the process of being developed while you are working on your end. This can get a little frustrating, though I suppose it's par for the course in a transitional period. Also because of of this transitional period, teams can get laden with what seems like a rapid or near-simultaneous succession of high-priority objectives, which can sometimes make it challenging for teams to be productive (or to feel like they're being productive). The IT department is rather under-developed and could use some help in their processes.

3 people found this review helpful
  6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Content

Jan 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Love the people that work with

Cons

Upper Management doesn't understand day to day No Career Ladder or career exploration on the job

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Intern

Great company to work at

Sep 29, 2020 - IOS Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent managers, team members, and collaboration.

Cons

Didn't feel a lot of support for engineers from the upper management and executives.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Positive experience as a student working part time.

Mar 18, 2014 - Data Quality Review in Provo, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy the culture and the team I work with.

Cons

Limited contact with upper management. My particular position is a bit boring and tedious.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  9. 1.0
    Current Employee

Unstable Upper Manangement

Feb 14, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They use some good tech

Cons

Upper management has no idea what they are doing.Culture is messed up.There is minimum co-ordination between teams.

5 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great to work

Jan 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great people, great office building and gym at the campus.

Cons

Great to work for but hard to trust the upper management

1 person found this review helpful
  11. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Such a sad decline

Apr 23, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The product is so fun to work on. It is impactful and meaningful. People really care about what you work on.

Cons

The upper management shift has caused me to leave the company along with many others. They manage by fear, flaunting their resume, and ego rather than by any honorable characteristic. My first 2 years at Ancestry I would have recommended it to anyone. I cannot say the same now. I am much happier and feel much more valued at my new company.

11 people found this review helpful