• For an alternative press, they compensate their freelancers well.
• Your salary does increase depending on the quality of your articles and how long you stay there. This is rarer than you'd think.
• You get free admittance into events you couldn't afford or wouldn't have heard of before.
• You get to speak with some amazing and talented people. I had no idea how much Anchorage could offer until I freelanced with the Press.
• Though it's pretty small, it's technically the second largest paper in Alaska, and a lot of people in Anchorage read it. This means major bragging rights.
Like many smaller papers, the quality of the issue varies greatly with the editor. The editor is also clearly overworked and I have no idea how Victoria Barber (probably the best editor I worked with) did it, but major kudos to her. When I left they started to have two editors, and I think this will reduce the unpredictability in the future.
Advice to Management
Not sure if this has already happened, but a stronger sense of community with freelancers. This would make them feel more invested in the paper and improve collaboration. A community paper like this is only as good as its ears, and I think
When the paper's at its best, it's great.
Owners - Wick Communications. Wrong owner.
Advice to Management
Make Wick sell the paper.
I have been working at Anchorage Press as a contractor (More than 3 years)
Local company, takes care of freelance writers
Short period of time there was a very bad editor. She's gone.
I have been working at Anchorage Press part-time (More than 3 years)
I have written for the Anchorage PRESS for several years now. You have to be committed to getting stuff in on time and making sure you follow-up with your editors, but I have never had anything too terrible happen while working for them. The PRESS is a great source for Anchorage-ites who want to have something to read beyond the limited local paper.
Deadlines are sometimes tight, sometimes you may have individual disagreements with editors.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?