Anchorage School District Reviews in Alaska | Glassdoor

Alaska

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jeannie Mackie

1. "Best school district."

Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Teacher Assistant in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities to substitute at various schools were endless. Most people I encountered at each school were very nice and helpful. I ended up subbing at a school and was offered a full time position.

Cons

Trying to decide where to sub was difficult. There are a couple of schools on the military bases so a person without an ID may have difficulty getting to those schools.

Advice to Management

None.

2. "Special Ed"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant for Deaf Executive Director in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

High very patient with the students, teaching American Sign Language and getting along with staff/faculty

Cons

lack of communication if Deaf and hearing can communicate unless hearing people knows American Sign Language.

Advice to Management

Opening a communication by emial or writing if Deaf and hearing work together, take the ASL class

3. "Special Ed teacher"

Former Employee - Sp Education Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Sp Education Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Location! Alaska is a wonderful place to live.

Cons

Funding issues. Cutbacks. Increased work loads.

5. "Community Counselor"

Former Employee - VII Indian Education, Community Counselor in Fairbanks, AK
    Former Employee - VII Indian Education, Community Counselor in Fairbanks, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. Excellent benefits and work schedules. Excellent training programs and additional workload opportunities. Work with teams of highly skilled professionals. Work with a broad range of students and families. Can be as networked to many of the community and school district resources. Incredible support from administrators, counselors, teachers, resource staff, staff, security, and co-workers. Summers off!

Cons

Challenging environments and situations require solid grounding, support, commitment, and resolve. Need to mentally be prepared for just about anything to happen and be prepared to address, work through, and come to some sort of resolution with issues.

Advice to Management

I was fortunate to have excellent administrators who provided a high degree of support and were extremely professional. Had it not been for the great support I received from all the administrators, It would have been extremely difficult to do my job! The work is challenging having its own rewards and requires a TEAM effort. All parts must work together, move forward together, and stay connected in spite of differences. Absolutely no room for breakdowns in communication which complicate and further undermine the efforts of the whole team.

6. "It's a great place to live if you love doing things outdoors. Winters are long, cold, and dark."

Current Employee - English Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, very strong union representation, nice co-workers. Amazing summers with lots to do outdoors. Salmon fishing is the best.

Cons

If non tenured, you can be moved from school to school. Too cold and far away from everywhere. It costs too much to fly anywhere. You feel like you're stuck on an island. Anchorage has high crime rates for being a small city.

Advice to Management

Keep doing the great work.

7. "Grounds Specialist"

Former Employee - Grounds Maintenance Specialist in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Grounds Maintenance Specialist in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits for type of work.

Cons

city worker mentality, never push beyond minimum progress.

8. "Driver"

Current Employee - Dirver in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Dirver in Anchorage, AK

Pros

Flexible time allowing me to participate in civic and social organizations

Cons

part time employment makes total compensation difficult to accommodate

Advice to Management

Be proactive with legislative engagement

9. "Respect"

Former Employee - Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One thing I can say is that the ASD respects its teachers.

Cons

Anchorage is a city of republicans and this can be difficult at times with school bonds and such.

10. "Loved working here for the last 6 years!"

Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Elementary Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Really good salary and benefits! I loved the principal I had and the staff I worked with.

Cons

There is more stress on teachers with the new curriculums, larger class sizes, and increase in responsibilities with the budget cuts.

Advice to Management

Teachers need more support with behavior kids. It usually takes a year or so to get any kind of support and it is disrupting the learning of the other kids in the classroom.

11. "You experience will differ based on the school you work with."

Former Contractor - Teacher in Anchorage, AK
    Former Contractor - Teacher in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Anchorage School District as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Training opportunities, collegial supports, ability to transfer between school sites when openings arise. The charter schools seem to offer the best opportunity for an educator to find a school with a more consistent mission that can be identified as a good fit for employment, versus a school with more broad, district-wide policy and curricula changes.

Cons

High class sizes, limited resources, extremely prescribed curricula in some schools. The district is very large, and this makes for an abundance of upper management decision making and poor communication with stakeholders. Morale among staff varies between schools and is highly impacted by the principal, without any clear opportunity for teachers to share in decision making unless there is a competent, skilled principal encouraging input.

Advice to Management

Overly generic screening interviews for specialist positions work against your ability to hire someone with focused skills in high needs areas such as low-incidence spec populations. High teacher turn-over is schools should be an indication that the principal may not be a good fit.