Andersen Tax Reviews in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andersen Tax CEO Mark Vorsatz
Mark Vorsatz

Pros
  • Work life balance outside of busy season is clearly valued and important to management (in 10 reviews)

• Great work life balance, except a couple of weeks before due dates, everybody is pretty relaxed (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of hours during busy season (in 31 reviews)

• Absolutely ZERO work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome management. Great coworkers. Good happy hours.

Cons

Long hours. Busy only during busy season.

2. "Senior Associate"

Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Tax Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good people; good opportunities to learn and grow; firm invests in employees

Cons

Long hours; a couple jerks work here

Advice to Management

Get rid of the jerks

"great job, great people"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

love my coworkers, great/happy environment (although this could change depending on where you're seated), great opportunities to work with partners and directors, really interesting work, people care about you and will listen IF you speak up

Cons

no one is going to hold your hand - you need to speak up for yourself and form a good relationship with a mentor; there is a steep learning curve, but if you're willing to be patient and have the motivation to succeed, it gets much easier; busy seasons can be rough, but it's part of the job and not more than you can expect as long as you manage your work and communicate

Advice to Management

the nickel & diming about some things but not others is frustrating,

"Andersen Tax (San Francisco Office)"

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

- Great people
    - Fun atmosphere and good culture
    - Opportunities to work with partners and senior management early in your career
    - Lots of opportunities to learn and good on the job training
    - The company is growing quickly and there are opportunities for upward mobility
    - Andersen was a great place to start my career and it was difficult decision to leave

Cons

- Busy season workload is demanding, but consistent with the industry
    - Not enough emphasis is placed on improving technology
    - Formal trainings for new hires need to be improved

Advice to Management

- Make sure technology is improved and that the improvements are adopted firm-wide
    - Focus on improving trainings for new hires
    - Continue to hire high quality people as the firm grows

6. "Great People"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, great management if you work for the right people. Fosters people who are proactive about their careers, not whiners. Work life balance outside of busy season is clearly valued and important to management. Great growth opportunities with long term payoff

Cons

Yes, busy season is busy, but its only a few months a year. Some managers need personnel management training

Advice to Management

Embrace technology, increase compensation to reduce turnover

"Not an environment I want to spend my career in..."

Former Employee - Tax Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Tax Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time

Pros

They are building a good business and have good relationships with clients. If I needed tax preparation work, I'd probably use Andersen Tax, but I wouldn't ever work at a company like this. Life is too short for crappy employment!

Cons

My experience may be similar to other large accounting firms, but from speaking with my friends working at the Big4, I think my experiences at WTAS (now Andersen Tax) were substantially worse. Here's the gist of it:

The firm didn't have a good process for copying tax returns so they asked every tax preparer to copy their own returns, get all the envelopes and "sign here" stickers placed, and put the copies in the nice packets. This process consistently took about 1 hour to do for a typical return. I spent 2 months perfecting the process until it took 22 minutes and I never had to walk over the same floor space twice. Then I presented what my improvements to managers and asked that we hire two meticulous temps during busy season, who I would personally train, so all the rest of us who were working our butts off and frequently sleeping under our desks could focus on tax return preparation instead of photocopying. The response was, "that's a wonderful idea, but 3 people before you have tried the same thing to no avail."

I'm not willing to waste my life working for a company that isn't willing to accept the gift of productivity improvement from it's employees. I found a job within 2 weeks and was gone.

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Dedicated staff. Opportunities for learning. Creative clients.

Cons

Sour management. Technology embarrassingly behind the times. This is Silicon Valley! The CEO and many Managing Directors foster a sycophantic atmosphere where people are afraid to speak up or counter Management. Awkward promotions that don't make sense. The recreation of Andersen may or may not be a good idea. Time will tell.

9. "Valuations Intern, San Francisco"

Current Intern - Valuations in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Valuations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Andersen Tax as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The internship at WTAS has gone better than any intern could have expected. The office is young, and there is always something going on: happy hours, giants games, world cup celebrations, chili cook-offs, and the list goes on. In addition to a great office culture and fun events, the pay is great!

Cons

I guess the only con I see is work-life balance. But, it really does come with the profession and with a firm that provides nightly dinners and casual dress during busy season WTAS keeps their employees happy.

"senior associate"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Andersen Tax full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of chances to work on variety of returns. Challenging, fast paced. Open door environment that it is easy to communicate with management level directly. They care about you and your health. Good benefit. They allow you to wear jeans and provide dinner/fruits during busy season.

Cons

there are always tons of work and deadline, which are typical in this profession and in a big company. Yet, when it is so rush, it gives less chances for you to review and really learn/understand what you just prepared. The stress is there, but you will learn how to deal with it.

Advice to Management

Try to listen to your employees more. It would be good if the firm can get a balance between hiring attorney and accountant, and even better, if the firm can hire experienced people to speed up the preparation instead of continuous training on basic.

"Pass"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Good place to come if you're green, fresh from school.

Cons

Work life balance is offered in lip service only. People fight for bragging rights by getting to the office earlier than anyone.....4am etc. Or, staying late, even sleeping in their office/cube.

Most of senior management from AA days are out of touch; they've never worked anywhere else and have a skewed perspective on workplace etiquette and culture. They encourage employees to report on other employees inappropriately and are rewarded.

Every few years there seems to be uncertainty on their future.

CEO is known as ego-maniacal and insecure with anger management issues; he also fuels gossip.

Bullying atmosphere.

Pay is low.

Advice to Management

Partners stop lording over people below MD levels. Enough with the sports analogies... remember this is a workplace, not a boys high school locker room. Stop instigating hazing behavior a la boys on a football field. Be more transparent, instead of keeping everyone in the dark and forcing the rumor mill to work overtime. Realize favoritism by MDs and CEO is clear to all; Employees know who feeds their ears.