Anderson Merchandisers Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Anderson Merchandisers CEO Bill Lardie
Bill Lardie

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Every once in a while you would get free movies (in 42 reviews)

• Very flexible schedule, great management and great staff (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • I wanted to only work part time and they kept adding on hours (in 29 reviews)

• HALF the pay as full time employees doing the EXACT SAME WORK (in 23 reviews)

"Territory Sales Lead"

Current Employee - TSL in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - TSL in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like to work alone then this is the job for you!
    Paid Holidays and Vacation Time

Cons

TERRITORY SALE LEAD (TSL)
     TSL's are over work and under paid. In your weekly activities you are expected to complete about 90+ hours worth of work in 40 hours.
    Most TSL's are working 50-60+ hours per week. Every territory is under staffed.
    They have come up with a Flex Team for the TSL's to find help for weeks with major projects to complete. If you don't find help you are just out of luck. Zero support from corporate.
    You have to be extremely flexible with your schedule. Over nights are required and last minute projects which are mandatory with little notice.
    They also expect you to drive long distances to assist in other territories, sometimes an hour away and you are still accountable for your own stores with no help.
    The company is growing and taking on more work but they are not giving any support to the TSL's, Until they resolve this problem they will continue to have employees that are NO longer proud to represent Anderson Merchandisers.

Advice to Management

Get out in the field and take the time to talk to your TSL's! You have districts that have been understaffed for years.

"Job seeker beware!"

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time

Pros

The best thing regarding this job is the flexibility, and the ability to work at your own pace.

Cons

While you have the ability to work at your own pace, the large majority of the time that is an unrealistic expectation. If you work at a reasonable pace you certainly won't get all of your activities completed. The activity workload is so overwhelming for the amount of hours actually scheduled. The Field Rep's integrity has to take a backseat to overall activity completion.

Advice to Management

Don't get so wrapped up in your bonuses that you're making off of us. You have the best field staff in the business, but you're killing us. Fifty to seventy hours a week is not healthy, or productive. We realize that what we do is important for our business, and our clients, but it is not the end-all-be-all of our existence. We do not live to work, however that is what you've created for many of us. Come spend one full week with us, it will be a truly eye-opening experience. Hopefully you would have a whole new respect for us, and I guarantee that you won't have a bit of trouble falling to sleep at night.

"Last Resort"

Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Merchandiser in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible start time, mostly independent work

Cons

Too much traveling, pay, poor management

Advice to Management

Either get a real leader or disband the company.

"They lie to get you "in the door"..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, work alone, flexibility. Very nice personalities when they hire you. They give you an iPhone 6 soon to upgrade to iPhone 6+ or 7+ (company phone usage only, they will text and call you regularly, plus a Morphie Charging case to go with it.)

Get paid .31 cents per mile to drive over 15miles only from store to store.

Cons

I already merchandise for another company, so Anderson said they would hire me as Flex (seasonal- call you for special projects only).

They strongly "encouraged" me to come on as Part-Time, telling me their schedules were flexible in case you worked somewhere else.

They said I only had to. Work Tuesdays and Fridays Part-Time. However, they've been trying to give me full-time hours.

Although I tell them I have another job, they don't really seem to care.

They expect you to stay in a store until all tasks are complete. My trainer who is full time says she works between 5-14hrs per day, depending on workload.

Must drive far. Different cities/counties.

Cannot include mileage from your home to a store, or from a store, to your home. Unless you live hours away.

Said I'd only be merchandising Cell phones, books, computers, & tablets. But you merchandise the entire store. From paint, to fabrics everything between & soon to add produce.

You basically work for Walmart without being hired through Walmart w/ slightly better pay.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to get people hired. Just tell them the truth upfront. You'll be surprised at what future employees will tolerate. Will lower your high turnover rate.

"Territory sales lead"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Lead in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Lead in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free movie every blue moon. Used to be a flexible schedule, but too many deadlines now for that to be possible.

Cons

Zero work/life balance. This used to be an amazing company to work for, but in the last couple of years, things have went downhill pretty steadily. Too much micro managing, too many projects for different clients, not enough time to work. Expect to work in and finish 5 stores in 1 week alone, but to do that you'd have to work 70-80 hours.

Advice to Management

Less stores per territory, hire more full time people. Treat everyone better, instead of making us feel like we're incompetent.

"Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Fairview Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Fairview Heights, IL

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I can't think of any!

Cons

Company is horrible, they take advantage of all employees. Work long hours with little pay and no benefits. Unrealistic expectations and could care less about employees wellbeing. Company is extremely greedy!

Advice to Management

Definitely need to be realistic, appreciate field staff PAY field staff what they are worth! Communication would be a great place to start!

"Territory Sales Lead"

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time

Pros

Can't think of any!!!!!!!!!!! If you can call receiving a free DVD a year a pro.

Cons

One of the most unethical companies anyone could ever work for. Reading the posts from people from Plano, TX, I almost cracked a rib laughing. Know, these are fake posts from people from home office. These people will work you into the ground. Overtime is a guarantee that your time will be messed up, so you will need to remember all of your clock outs for weeks. There is no work life balance. No raises or pay incentives. Horrible benefits. No company match on retirement benefits.

Advice to Management

Honesty is always the best policy!!!

"This company is going down fast!"

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time

Pros

-Your own schedule
    -Your own pace
    -You can do the projects in any order as long as you get them done

Cons

Most of the time this job is on you. Your district manager won't help or see you much. Management most of the time won't help you or care until your in their way. I had one store that will help me and the other store I was on my own most of the time. This company will not plan out very well and you will have projects at the last minute on a Friday. Before I left, some reps did not do their work and the District Manager made me clean up her work after she quit. You will have midnight releases for dvd's sometimes so you will be out till 4 or so in the morning going to all your stores after you were in your stores that previous morning.

This company tells you to lie to management about cd's, dvd's, books. Even though Anderson is responsible for helping, you get no time to help the store except Tuesdays when you must make sure all new release dvds are out. Some weeks your phone will tell you that you got 10 minutes to put out cd's when there are 4 boxes in the back.

You will have resets and if you hate resets, this job is not for you. Some the stores might do, some you will have to do.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your reps. Give them time to get projects done. Stop having reps with little hours on certain weeks, then over 50 the next.

"Merchandiser"

Pros

sometimes get a free movie

Cons

where do I begin........ !!!!!

Advice to Management

get people who can relate to others on an even level...not hire just a run of the mill person...Pay more and believe people who have proof of misdoing's of management and then let the person go who tells you about it.....

"Merchandiser specialist"

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I phone , independent work

Cons

Lowest pay of any merchandising company for long time part time employees. Extremely low pay verses expectations and heavy work load. HALF the pay as full time employees doing the EXACT SAME WORK. No benefits, no sick pay, no vacation pay, no paid days off of any kind. Very low mileage reimbursement. About half the national average. Increasing Pressure from management to get more and more work done in less time. Forced to work full time hours and overtime at regular low pay rate. And then, drastically cutting hours to 4 hours for a week.

Advice to Management

Take care of your longer employed part time people by paying them fairly for what your demanding of them. Offer other full time positions besides TSL's. This will help the work get done that you honestly know isn't possible for your clients. You might find that your able to get more people to work for you.