Anderson Merchandisers Reviews | Glassdoor

Anderson Merchandisers Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Every once in a while you would get free movies (in 40 reviews)

• The company allows you to work a flexible schedule (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • I wanted to only work part time and they kept adding on hours (in 27 reviews)

• HALF the pay as full time employees doing the EXACT SAME WORK (in 22 reviews)

"Merchandiser"

Pros

sometimes get a free movie

Cons

where do I begin........ !!!!!

Advice to Management

get people who can relate to others on an even level...not hire just a run of the mill person...Pay more and believe people who have proof of misdoing's of management and then let the person go who tells you about it.....

"Merchandiser specialist"

Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I phone , independent work

Cons

Lowest pay of any merchandising company for long time part time employees. Extremely low pay verses expectations and heavy work load. HALF the pay as full time employees doing the EXACT SAME WORK. No benefits, no sick pay, no vacation pay, no paid days off of any kind. Very low mileage reimbursement. About half the national average. Increasing Pressure from management to get more and more work done in less time. Forced to work full time hours and overtime at regular low pay rate. And then, drastically cutting hours to 4 hours for a week.

Advice to Management

Take care of your longer employed part time people by paying them fairly for what your demanding of them. Offer other full time positions besides TSL's. This will help the work get done that you honestly know isn't possible for your clients. You might find that your able to get more people to work for you.

"Decent Place to Work"

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time

Pros

Many of the people that work here are extremely friendly and are willing to help you if you just ask.

Cons

Job titles were changed with barely any notice

Jun 2, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your response. We would welcome a call from you to complete an exit interview so that we may be aware of any opportunities.

"Lacking honesty"

Former Employee - Retail Media Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Retail Media Merchandiser in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Very nice people to work with. Training was a breeze with the employee that I was paired with.

Cons

The person who hired and interviewed me never mentioned there would be an overnight sometimes 1-3 nights each week. Pay is vey low for work expected. Very little to no advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Better pay and be open and honest during the interview.

Jun 2, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for sharing your experience. It is great to hear that your training provided you with the necessary tools for your position. Our application process includes required availability, one of... More

"Doesn't care about employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're a full time salaried employee, you get the best of what this company has to offer. If you're any other variation of the several employment types, you generally get screwed over in terms of benefits and salary.

Cons

1Depending on your start date, it can be over a year before you're allowed to contribute to your 401k.
    -1 year waiting period before you get any PTO
    -During your first 90 days (even as a salaried EE) you don't get any paid company holidays
    -Hourly employees are treated most unfairly while executives receive the best of the best in terms of benefits and total rewards

Advice to Management

Management claims to care about it's employees and loves to tout the average tenure of its employees but doesn't want to make any meaningful changes to their practices to make it a better work environment for it's employees.

"Ok for awhile, but rolling quickly downhill"

Former Employee - Territory Sales in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Sales in White Plains, NY

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The free movies from the studios, but that perk has diminished in the last 12-18 months. Staff at clients stores can be a pleasure to work with.

Cons

No support from upper management. Managers asking for dishonest survey responses to better their internal numbers. Lack of understanding of how situations in real world work.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the sales staff when they complain about managements tactics and behavior.

Jun 2, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for sharing your experience. We have a zero-tolerance policy regarding falsifying company documents. We have an open-door policy and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to... More

"Unrealistic Expectations"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Lead

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours ... to a degree.

Cons

Low pay for new hires. Overwhelming territory size for full time field employees. Zero bonuses. Company can't retain part time employees due to work load versus pay.

Advice to Management

HR generalists seem to be monitoring this site. This is the reason I choose to comment as perhaps they will open their eyes, or at the least, I can alert the reader to the claims of "open-door policy; zero tolerance of falsifying information" etc. being nothing more than just talk (unless a store in your territory complains, in which case you become a liability and then you're fired). Information is falsified on a daily basis by people who have no other option. Insisting on 98% activity completion every week is unrealistic in the field where the business is increasing yet territories are being dissolved when staff leave and full time employees are expected to find their own part time and the new "flex hire" help. Yes, we have been told "find your own help or you'll be scheduled 50+ hours on a week when we have multiple lengthy projects". No teams are organized; the company is not aggressively searching for people to ensure the work on these extremely heavy weeks is accomplished and they clearly have no intention of spending the money it takes to properly execute the business they're so eager to be paid for. You'll get overtime on these heavy weeks (because it's the law), but again...these jobs have to be completed. This is an extremely stressful environment to work in. There are no bonuses, except for the occasional movie from a studio. I reiterate - the studio, not Anderson. We have a point system. Points are awarded for various accomplishments, but they are meaningless as anything of true value is literally thousands of points. And when I say "true value" I'm talking a simple $25 giftcard. It takes months of accrued accomplishments to achieve that level. There are a few more luxurious, completely unattainable prizes that aren't worth noting. The company does not support the field and this sentiment is echoed throughout the nation. Social media allows field staff to communicate...and we do. We can't all be wrong! This growth and greed surely has a lifespan and things will implode eventually unless they pay attention and change the way they operate. The company is punitive in its approach, using humiliation and bullying tactics to gain control. No one can possibly achieve 98% completion on any given week as there just isn't enough time to do it all in the time allocated. This leads to answering many of the activities as incomplete, relying on store staff to help you achieve many tasks and/or giving an area a "lick and a promise" (think zoning music/setting books to mod) and calling it complete. Last fall HR visited my area as did the CEO. I've been extremely vocal with my DM, RM and relished the opportunity to speak candidly with the HR visitor and Bill Lardie himself. All seemingly listened, yet here I am typing this post. This company could soar to such high levels if they would just invest in the field and support the people who are on board and ready to help us all get there. I wouldn't spend time typing my thoughts if I didn't care. Hope springs eternal I suppose, but at some point I guess I'll just rest my case. Why do I stay? I'm somewhat altruistic, but when no one in management cares, it's the bottom line... because I was here before the switch from salary to hourly pay.

"Not An Honest Orginization"

Former Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing about the job was difficult to grasp or understand.
    It wasn't hard to be a top performer.
    Pay for management was in-line with other companies.

Cons

Lots of broken promises, very hard to tell where you stand.
    I worked several years without a singe performance review.
    They have these 10 guiding principals, but neither "Honesty", "Ethics", nor "integrity" are among them. I don't believe this is an oversight.
    If you're in management, you have to travel a lot. They consider travel days as time off.
    NO ONE knows who this company is. Useless on a resume.
    Add to that, they're deceptive about the company's history on their own web site. A little research indicates that Anderson News, which was started in 1917, located in TN was completely shut down in 2009.
    Anderson Merchandisers, located in TX was purchased from Wal-Mart in 1994, prior to that it was known as Western Merchandiser. They were only permitted to service Wal-Mart stores through the late 2010s.
    Two completely different companies with different HQs in different states, but they're misrepresenting them as one strong company with a long history. In this age of game changing start-ups, why be deceptive to make one's company seem older?

Advice to Management

More homest feed back to those that work for you. Give those under performing a chance to know where they stand before you hire their replacement. We're talking basic leadership here.
    Even if one perform well, they may find themself on the 'outs' (I've seen good workers marginalized for personality conflicts, while poor performing workers are given passes on poor work).

"Anderson Merchandisers Review"

Former Employee - Sales Merchandiser in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Sales Merchandiser in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work phone, very flexible hours, helpful and understanding management, mostly easy assignments, travel compensation, independent and hands-off work environment

Cons

noisy retail work environment, limited available hours, stressful at times due to strict deadlines and sometimes unrealistic expectations, occasional night shift, difficult to connect with coworkers due to independent nature of job

Advice to Management

One major change Anderson needs to make is to work with current clients in order to ensure enough hours are available to finish assigned activities.

May 3, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to provide your thoughts! We always try to balance the needs of our customers and our associates and work consistently to obtain additional revenue to increase the... More

"Interesting to see Anderson "engaged" in these reviews, it's damage control..."

Former Employee - Field Representative in Vineland, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Representative in Vineland, NJ

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free merchandise at times and somewhat flexible schedule.

Cons

Every negative review on here is beyond accurate. I began working for Anderson in 2011 and in the three years I was there I received ONE pay raise of .16 cents! When I was initially hired, I was told that there would be a six month review and an automatic 50 cent increase at each six month interval. That NEVER happened! It was bait and switch to gain employees.

ZERO opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

NONE, since it's clear that they do not care about the people breaking their backs, in spite of the PR they are engaging in here. It's only for damage control, considering the overwhelming amount of POOR reviews.

The only reason I am writing this review after so many years is because it truly enrages me to see how these companies ATTEMPT to cover their rears and create an image that is false. If they truly cared, they would have taken the over 300 negative reviews to heart and CHANGED the culture to suit the needs of those who work in the field.
    Clearly, they care NOTHING about the field workers and their needs and have hired their mouthpiece to appear on here for damage control.

Jun 2, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your comments. We are an engaged employer because we care about our associates. Because you are a previous employee, you are aware of our open door policy. We work consistently to... More