Anderson Merchandisers Reviews | Glassdoor

Anderson Merchandisers Reviews

Updated February 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Occasionally you get free movies for your handwork and dedication (in 34 reviews)

• The company allows you to work a flexible schedule (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • inconsistent available hours to keep good employees in the part time area (in 24 reviews)

• pay rates don't equal the amount of work (in 11 reviews)

"Good Job for Self-Motivated, Patient People"

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time

Pros

Freedom to find the best way for you to get the job done, work at your own pace as long as you can get results, enjoyable and well-compensated travel if you like it.

Cons

You have to rely on the cooperation of store employees, some of whom will not be interested in helping you or expect you to do their work for them. Working in their spaces can be at times uncomfortable or unpleasant, depending on location.

Advice to Management

Better communication with staff of locations the reps will be servicing so that everyone's on the same page about what we're there to do.

"Flexible, Interesting Experience, but Severely Under-appreciated Work"

Pros

As stated in the title, it's very interesting learning the work of a vendor if you've never had prior experience in the field. The flexibility is wonderful, perfect if you are going to school, work another job, or have a busy home life. You won't have any problems with getting bored, because you're consistently multitasking throughout each store, so it definitely helps to pass the time.
    As a side note, the majority of the time, I personally loved helping the customers in the stores I worked whenever possible, although that is not in the job description whatsoever. I quite often received compliments that I out-performed the employees of the stores I was in vis-a-vis actually showing an interest in helping customers.

Cons

The negative side to consistently multitasking, is the fact that you literally trek from one side of a store to the next, then back to the one side, and back again to the other to finish terribly planned-out activities. Lather, rinse, repeat. Even if you plan your route accordingly, there will always be a random, unexpected part of an activity, or entire activity, to surely throw a wrench in your perfectly-schemed schedule.
    The negative aspects of each store's customers is that they constantly mistake you for a store employee and expect you to solve every single problem and answer every single question they present you with, even after informing them, often multiple times, that you are indeed not an employee of the store and are solely just a vendor trying to get your own grocery list of work activities taken care of within the slight amount of alotted part-time hours given per day.

It's also very difficult, most of the time, getting the cooperation of a store's employees and management to help with projects that their own home office have created and expect to be fulfilled.

It is almost an everyday struggle fighting through the aisles and boxes and asides of boxes in the back storeroom just trying to get to and from your bin for supplies and materials through the day, then throw in the fun of going on a wild goose chase to hunt down misplaced Anderson boxes that could be pretty much anywhere.

Even after continuous communication with the help desk to fix the issue, the mods were horribly inaccurate in at least half of the stores that I worked, in relation to the actual shelving space and the massive quantity of stock that was expected to fit in the often miniscule area. Add in the multitude of mandatory no-return items, and you are left with a complete quagmire of a problem that has no "officially acceptable" solution.

Store employees have an odd way of wanting to do your job (more like completely botch it) while you're not there, yet stand around chatting with each other, texting, and taking breaks/lunches at the same time so that when you're the only person in a department for endless amounts of time, you're inadvertently the go-to for any and all customer inquiries and complaint, or you're stuck waiting ages to complete your activities because you need an employee for this or that.

Advice to Management

Put more thought into the structure of the activities and the format of answering each activity.

I feel that the trial Tech Expert event performed in December was a nice opportunity for the employees to really show their worth and finally get rewarded for it, even though not by much.

"Territory Sales Lead"

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Busy all day with store activities to accomplish

Cons

- The time assigned time to accomplish a given activity does not always match up with reality of the situation at the store yet the merchandiser is pressured to get the job done

- More often than not, Anderson over promises their customer what a merchandiser will accomplish and the merchandiser has to deal with the consequences which results in unnecessary stress on the merchandiser for which they are not paid enough to have to handle

- Anderson pays lip service to the feedback they receive from merchandisers. For example, they will send a merchandiser to make a UPS pickup at a UPS location that is actually out of assigned territory rather than correct the system and make it easier for merchandiser to pick up at UPS location that is nearby. I had a situation where I had been picking up at a UPS location that was 5 minutes from one of my assigned stores. They changed it to a pickup at a UPS location that was 25 minutes away from assigned store and would not make a correction.

Advice to Management

It is painfully obvious to merchandisers that Anderson cares very little about the merchandisers. For example, the medical plan offered before I left had a $10,000 deductible for out of network doctors. Anderson often ignores the need for extra staffing in certain markets and hopes that the existing staff will work the overtime to get the job done. I was laid off in a recent restructuring but only after I trained my replacement who coincidentally made a few dollars an hour less than I made. Morale among merchandisers is low because the merchandisers know how little Anderson cares about them.

"Too much work, not enough time"

Pros

Pros? Ha ha that's funny...
    I worked for Anderson for almost 15 years; was like family at first...then they became too big...

Cons

WAY too much work, not enough time.
    Pay sucked - after 14 years, I was making only slightly more than when I started...
    Jobs started going outside of the regular merchandising guidelines.
    District manager had no clue what was going on and showed favoritism.
    No holidays off.
    No room for advancement.
    The list goes on...

Advice to Management

Stop winning jobs by being the lowest bid; your clients have no idea that they're not #1 priority.
    Treat your employees with respect instead of acting like they're just a body to get the job done.

"TSL"

Current Employee - TSL in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - TSL in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full time job that might pay your bills

Cons

very stressful, crazy work load, and very high expectations.

"Sales Merchandiser"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lumberton, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lumberton, NC

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers part-time

Pros

Working independently, setting your own pace and work hours, they provide you with an iPhone for job use.

Cons

Traveling to different stores, will not receive a lot of hours like the Territory Sales Lead, Figuring out where items are stored at in the back rooms at Wal-Mart. Constantly having to recharge iPhone to take photos, and scan items. No direct supervisor to go and talk to must call them.

Advice to Management

Give the part time workers a scanner because using the iPhone runs the battery down.

"Team Sales Leader with 1 partimer"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Lead in Martinsville, VA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Lead in Martinsville, VA

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Anderson paid a good wage...had great benefits...I left after 10 yrs to retire...I still enjoyed working with the associates and management ...had a great working relationship...Team leadership is very important...

Cons

Anderson got a little greedy and took on alot of clients over a few years...They wouldn't allow enough hours to get the projects completed like they should be 100%...

Advice to Management

Allow more time for employees...Communication is very important...Remember we are hard working human beings making it happen every day for the company to prosper

"lousy benefits no bonus or incentives"

Former Employee - TSL in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - TSL in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Anderson Merchandisers full-time

Pros

Work unsupervised, occasional free movie, paid vacation after a year. paid sick days and holidays

Cons

No room for advancement. no raises. Very costly high deductible insurance for full timers only

Advice to Management

You get what you pay for, if you don't take care of your people your people won't take care of you, or get better offers and leave

"I Guess."

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist

Pros

Free merchandise every now and then

Cons

They told me the hours are flexible, what they meant was, "you'll work when we want you to,and if you are off and we need you, then you MUST be flexible and come in.

Advice to Management

Work better with lower level employees, the only time i spoke to my direct manager was the first day of training.

"Hard work for what they pay you"

Pros

Some flexibility on days and times of work. Always something to do to keep you busy.

Cons

Low pay for the type of work that you do. Often have to work strange hours in the middle of the night at Wal-mart by yourself for new releases and special projects.

Advice to Management

Pay your people better to retain quality employees.