Anderson University (IN) Reviews | Glassdoor

CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good place to work"

I worked at Anderson University (IN) part-time

Pros

Good place to work. Everyone is like a family.

Cons

It is a small college with only about 2000 students.

2. "Assistant Professor"

I worked at Anderson University (IN) full-time

Pros

It has a nice little campus.

Cons

Faculty is not treated equally. There are many double standards situations, which can be upsetting.

3. "Meh"

I have been working at Anderson University (IN) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are mostly friendly and we have use of a fitness facility.

Cons

Pay is below benchmark, raises are rare, and most faculty and staff are overextended.

Advice to Management

Without the budget to hire more people or pay more equitably, the University needs to simplify operations to make the workload manageable.

4. "Assoc Director"

I have been working at Anderson University (IN) full-time

Pros

Great employees who are committed to serving the students and the mission of the university.

New leadership committed to facing difficult decisions in order to eventually thrive while fulfilling the mission of the university.

Cons

Many years with poor leadership has left financial challenges and poor morale.

Advice to Management

Manage by walking around -- recognize the efforts of more than a few offices.

5. "AU job"

I worked at Anderson University (IN) part-time

Pros

The campus is nice, and expenses are low

Cons

Most of the people in the administration and management is generally not the most competent people you will ever see.

6. "Adjunct Prof for six years"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Anderson, IN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Anderson, IN

I have been working at Anderson University (IN) part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If students want the power to fire professors through evaluations alone with little to no rigor, this is your university.

Cons

The department I worked for went through two deans, a complete dissolution of my department and angry, entitled students. I work at a variety of higher education institutions both online and in person. I've been screamed at by students at AU in the four classes I've taught there. Students in the major are mad and furious about the department reduction in force for low enrollment. I've been asked to "make sure students are happy at any cost." Dean does not ask adjunct about reasons for student complaints, just make them happy. I receive high student evaluations for every university I'm employed except for AU. I've tried numerous teaching philosophies to improve the scores including cowtowing to students to try and keep my job. Not once was I asked about student reviews which lied on a few occasions on the evils. I dreaded working there and am happy to be free of the insane restrictions placed on my teaching. The university is hurting for funds and enrollment is very low. My advice, find a teaching career with a better reputation academically or you risk going down with the ship. I don't see AU lasting another five years.

Advice to Management

Listen to the professors and stop treating students like customers. They are not always right. It's common knowledge and many studies prove student evaluations are terribly biased against teachers. Go and evaluate your professors in the classroom and provide viable professional development opportunities. It's insane to make professors please students and evaluate them through student evaluations alone.

7. "Going downhill"

I have been working at Anderson University (IN) full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The students are great and it is a joy to work with them. They are courteous and respectful for the most part.

Cons

The university is in decline. Enrollment is down and the administration has no reasonable plan to turn things around. They do not honor their obligations to their employees and take the employees for granted.

Advice to Management

Even though the president is new, he has demonstrated that he has no idea how to run a university. He should be fired.

8. "Will the doors close sooner or later?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anderson, IN

I worked at Anderson University (IN) (More than 10 years)

Pros

Students are incredible to work with, driven and empathetic. The campus is a nice environment though it is surrounded by urban blight. I had a few good faculty colleagues, though most faculty have little time for one another.

Cons

The pay is horrible. Faculty has been beat down by administrators. The faculty is fractured and unable to resist the will of administrators. The school continues to eliminate programs that make it a liberal arts institution careening it ever more towards a vocational-technical school. All that will be left after their cuts will be STEM programs. There is no longer support for the arts in any form. The university has lost a grasp of who it is as an institution and instead of standing for its ideals it is grasping, no gasping, at whatever quick fix looks like it will work next. Namely, more

Advice to Management

Embrace the culture of Robert Reardon and Patrick Allen to return the school to its former glory.

9. "ITS (Anderson University)"

I worked at Anderson University (IN) part-time

Pros

The people are nice. Very flexible with work schedule when you need it. They are pretty lenient on many things.

Cons

Not much structure in how things are done. They don't teach students about the process of diagnosing/assessing computer issues.

Advice to Management

Create some sort of process for getting things done... When there is a process in place make sure that ALL of the workers follow through with that process. I've noticed some people will skip jobs if they are not interested in it. Or if they don't know how to fix this issue, let them know that they can get help or work along side of the students to show what to do and how to address the issue.

10. "Needs Leadership"

Pros

Beautiful campus and great students.

Cons

Below Industry standards in regards to salary and compensation.