KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Angi

Engaged Employer

Angi

Add a Review

Angi Employee Reviews about "home advisor"

Updated Sep 16, 2020

Found 17 of over 3,147 reviews

2.9
Angi CEO Oisin Hanrahan
Oisin Hanrahan
Pros
  • "Younger work environment, challenging(in 49 reviews)

• "Casual atmosphere and dress code(in 47 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Upper management listens to rumors and has favorites(in 26 reviews)

• "They con service providers out of their money(in 20 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Tech

Sales Engineer

160 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Angi and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "home advisor"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Great company

Jan 13, 2019 - Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture and compensation for hard workers.

Cons

Merger with Home Advisor brought about many changes.

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

It was good while it lasted

Sep 16, 2020 - Senior Client Success Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I started, the culture was amazing. We had so much fun and always felt encouraged to do the job, even though it was tough.

Cons

But then... Micro managing started after the home advisor acquisition. I quickly became miserable and dreaded going to work. I left! So glad it did. Plus... Advertising sales is super difficult. So selling anything else comes easy to me!

Be the first to find this review helpful

HomeAdvisor

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We hope that you were able to share your feedback while you were still on the team. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve chosen another path, but we wish you the best moving forward. We appreciate your honest feedback and wish that the position had been a better fit for you.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Working at Angie's List/Home Advisor.

Feb 23, 2020 - Solutions Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

I was able to make decent money.

Cons

It was definitely an experience working there. They expect very difficult sales goals to be attained. I actually made pretty good money while I was there.I never had a problem exceeding the sales quotas, but management is very young and inexperienced. The entire company was ran very poorly. Your job is constantly threatened. That seems to be the only strategy they believe in to motivate people. Being a recently retired Army Platoon Sergeant, and have had extensive leadership training and experience in motivating people to get positive results. I would try and suggest other ways of positively motivating the employees that were struggling, though they were stuck on doing things one way. My team worked well with each other, and we would depend on helping each other if someone was struggling, because management never seemed to be able or willing to help. Through my experience as a leader, I know that you don't get results by just threatening those who may be having a rough sales month etc. It does no good to kick people when they're down, rather than look for solutions to help them improve. But, hey, what do I know? Another thing is, I am 43 years old, and they never really liked my honesty and straightforwardness. It was always strange to me that they would put such intense pressure on employees, yet they would then want to sugarcoat things and found honesty to be offensive. They were bought out by Home Advisor while I was there. Although my job did not get cut, I eventually decided that it just wasn't the type of company I wanted to make a career at. I stayed for two and a half years before I moved on to better things for myself. I don't want to sound bitter about my experience, because I am not, I'm only giving my honest opinion for this review, based on my own experience. I chose to leave because it just wasn't for me. I could have stayed on under Home Advisor, but it was the exact same thing. I would like to say that I met and worked worked with some really great people there. I would just rate Angie's List, now Home Advisor, as being very poorly managed, with a lot of people in leadership positions with zero training or knowledge of acutual leadership, which results in poor results.

4. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

If you have the slightest bit of integrity, this is not the place for you

Feb 12, 2020 - Client Success Manager in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people that work here are the only pro, but with the recent turnover, I doubt that lasts much longer

Cons

I sincerely feel bad for our advertisers 1. So many situations where they are lied to by our sales department and nothing will be done. 2. Other instances where they sold by a Spanish speaking sales rep, then get to a CSM that only speaks English and cannot be transferred to anyone else and we are told to tell them "our website is English speaking" and we have "English speaking members" so basically, figure it out. 3. Our books went from being around 200 customers to almost 500 overnight and we cannot keep up. Service Pros are getting terrible customer service because of that. 4. All of our leads are going to Home Advisor companies because than can make 4x as much over there than on Angie's list. Which leaves our customers with no leads and/or the scraps and they are a paying a monthly rate for them. Genius business plan because they are locked into a 12 month contract. That makes for terrible conversations and past due accounts. 5. Our job went from truly helping clients on a day to day basis which was rewarding to making collections calls 90% of our day. And if you don't make your 40+ collections calls everyday, you are WRITTEN UP. Hows that for hanging over your head. A potential write up EVERY SINGLE DAY. Many instances where I had an inbox full of customers to get back to but instead had to waste my time calling the same clients daily to let them know they are past due. So instead of trying to help happy clients, you are focusing all your time on clients that are pissed off and not paying. Its a legit catch 22. 6. We have had 20 people quit since Jan 1. We keep asking how many people need to quit for something to be done. The answer is "they are not concerned". 7. They lowered our base pay from 45k to 30k a couple weeks ago. Thats $1250 less per month overnight. The same week they lowered our pay they had a meeting telling us how Angie's list is HIGHLY profitable for the first time and that WE were responsible for that! The nerve.... 8. I truly hope something gets done. I have put so much time and effort into Angie's list over the years and have loved coming to work. The employees here are top notch and truly care about their career here. The last 6 months to a year have been the worst experience of my life. My mental health has suffered because of it. I am not the only one as others on our team have gone on FMLA because how bad the conversations and stress of the job have been.

9 people found this review helpful
    5. 1.0

Meh

Oct 2, 2019 - Senior Solutions Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Vacation time, co-workers are great, jot micromanaged.

Cons

Very difficult to hit sales goals, people are very weary of AL ever since Home Advisor stepped in...watching co workers get fired every few weeks was hard to watch. All boys club as far as management goes..

6. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's alright

Jul 17, 2019 - Software Engineer in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relatively relaxed depending on what department you're in, they try to make it fun for the employees and plan actually decent corporate events. Since the IAC acquisition there is less panic about job loss and layovers than there used to be. Also the last CEO, Scott Durschlag, is out so that's a net positive.

Cons

Since the company was bought by IAC and semi-merged with Home Advisor, Angie's List has become the little brother who has to report up the chain of command and doesn't get much say in things. Also some departments were working feverishly hard, mainly the Data Analytics team. This was less due to workload and more due to sloppy management and the refusal to refactor their workflows into a semi-manageable system.

2 people found this review helpful

Social Media Manager

Thank you for submitting a review with your honest feedback. We're happy to hear that you enjoy the working environment and our commitment to creating a fun culture for our employees. Your feedback regarding management and workflows is extremely important to us and we suggest you bring this information to leadership/HR so it can be addressed further!

7. 4.0

Awesome place to work until Home Advisor took over

Mar 11, 2019 - Senior Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work/life balance, great leadership, loved working in the home services industry, AWESOME compensation.

Cons

Great ideas, poor execution when it related to technology. Their revamped website launch was a disaster, "old school" when it came to tech. Home Advisor came in and ruined the place.

Social Media Manager

Thank you for submitting a review with your honest feedback. We are saddened to hear of your concerns regarding how we’ve grown the company and our merger with HomeAdvisor. We are actively working across both brands to continue providing a company culture and quality of work that our employees can be proud of. We’re sorry to hear you’ve chosen another path but we wish you the best moving forward.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee

Miss what it used to be

Oct 9, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Used to be an amazing environment

Cons

Got bought out by Home ADvisor

3 people found this review helpful
    9. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Started out great, leadership killed the company.

Sep 11, 2018 - Account Manager in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Met great people, made great money for a few years.

Cons

The company started out great and really grew over the years. I started at the company when there were around 300 people. Everyone around me were hardworking, smart, intelligent people, and then as we started to grow they started promoting the brown nosers in the company to management. To be a manager at Angie's List you had to have no soul, no opinion, and be a complete yes man/woman. Almost everyone they made managers were people that were just good enough at their job to not get fired, and they were the only ones that wanted to be managers because it usually meant taking a pay cut, but better than no job. The managers could literally be replaced by robots, because all they did was push refresh on the dashboards to see if their team was any closer to goal so they could get their bonus that they did not earn a penny of. When you asked them to help you on a deal, they would sometimes help and hop on a call but immediately just undercut your pricing and do whatever it took to get a deal signed and closed, because at the end of the day all they cared about was their needle moving toward goal, not your personal success as an individual. Slowly over the years the company started to go down hill. The comp plan had been changed more times than we could count, and they were always just over correcting previous mistakes that some idiot in upper management made. As the years went on they pretty much hired any one with a pulse, which made being proud of where you work very difficult. I went from working with some of the best in Indy, to working along side people equivalent to used car salesmen that used cheap tricks to hit goal and screw over the customers on a regular basis. Company functions were embarrassing to be at since people were often over served and were all hooking up with each other. It was honestly as bad or worse than high school. All in all this company could have been great, but poor management, led by even worse management, then somehow even worse management led this company straight into the toilet which led to it being bought out by it's biggest competitor, which now everyone seems to think is a "good thing" even though everyone knows that Home Advisor is ten times shadier than Angie's List ever was.

10. 4.0

Great place to work

Dec 9, 2017 - Client Success Manager in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome people, great pay, numerous perks

Cons

No stability, people and departments were being eliminated/merged constantly- hopefully to merge with Home Advisor will stabilize the job more

Be the first to find this review helpful

Digital PR Manager

Thanks for your feedback, and for your time at Angie’s List. We know how important culture is to Angie’s List employees, and we are proud to continue instilling the amazing culture the company has built. Appreciate the advice and best of luck in your career. –Tom Cheatham, VP Sales, Angie’s List

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 Reviews