Angie's List Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 18, 2017

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Scott Durchslag

Pros
  • Culture, benefits, dress code, pay scale (in 37 reviews)

• The pay is great, benefits great, laid back atmosphere, lots of time off (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Can't say the same for upper management (in 19 reviews)

• There is no sales skills involved due to overwhelming potential service providers with calls (in 15 reviews)

1. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Angie's List full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've enjoyed my time working for Angie's List and have made life-long friends and connections. It's a great company that promotes growth from within.

-Great people
    -Flexibility
    -You can write your own ticket with hard work and dedication
    -Opportunities to grow within

Cons

The Sales culture and structure seriously needs some revamping from the top down.

Advice to Management

Be more engaged.

2. "Been a great decade at Angie's List!"

Current Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Director in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Angie's List full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Angie's List was a major change from my previous industry yet it offered me a great culture and a place I wanted to be my home for many years. That was over a decade ago and I still love this company!

Cons

Change - it has challenges but it also is necessary in the ever changing home services marketplace.

3. "Advertising Consultant"

Former Employee - Advertising Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Advertising Sales Executive in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Angie's List (More than 8 years)

Pros

Angie's List for several years was very accommodating to the top performing reps. As long as the quarterly goals were being met or exceeded, the most generous amount of freedom was extended for the advertising sales employees to work flexible hours. For the true money-focused hunter-closers, this was best place to work. The top performers were not micromanaged by the increasing number of unskilled, unproven millennial supervisors. This did not matter, as long as the six figure incomes were being generated.

Cons

There were no cons. I am thankful to have worked there when there were still plenty of opportunities to make a lot of money.

Advice to Management

I cannot give advice to management, becasue I left years ago after a successful career there.

5. "Love it"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Angie's List (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture. I love it so far!

Cons

I don't really have any cons to share so f ar.

"If you work hard life is good!"

Current Employee - ECommerce Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - ECommerce Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Culture, benefits, dress code, pay scale. The people I see complaining on here all seem to have one thing in common (they are worried about how much money other people make and don't like criticism from management) This is the same person who you will see writing a review about how they are "underappreciated" at another company 6 months from now and another one next year. Suck it up and do your job and become the manager whose salary you are so worried about by working hard rather than looking for a handout or for someone to see how great you are and things will improve. Just felt this side of the argument needed to be seen on here so that potential hard working employees dont pass up a good opportunity.

Cons

None that I can think of

7. "Great place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

Great culture to work. Fabulous tech company.

Cons

No con that may have an adverse impact

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "Member Care Specialist"

Former Employee - Member Care Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Member Care Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Angie's List part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great casual environment where everyone is supportive. There is extensive 2 week training, so you feel prepared! Also there are a lot of rewards and incentives to perform well. Also there is as lot of potential for lateral movement in the company. $14 and hour.

Cons

It can get repetitive. Also being on the phone all day can be taxing, especially when there is an issue with the website and you just have angry people all day. Overall though this is fairly rare.

Advice to Management

Keep people involved and motivated. Make sure if someone is falling behind you find out why and do your best to help them out.

"Great culture and headed in the right direction! Green Thunder!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Angie's List full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Game changing plans for 2016! A tiered membership model, including a free one, will render Homeadvisor as an after thought. New CEO, Scott Durchslag, has the company headed in the right direction. Profitable for the year 2015 and EBITDA positive. It is amazing how quickly the Wall Street analysts have hopped on the AL bandwagon. We have a clear plan for continued growth and profitability with the right leaders in place to drive it. The Sales teams have the right leaders in place now too and we have found a structure that works. The call center, aka Member Care, is continuing to make strides to be a great call center with true career growth opportunities. The main campus is incredible with a ton of employee centric things including a great gym and Health clinic that is free. The culture is impeccable and incredibly diverse and inclusive. You will be accepted at Angie's List with open arms if you are talented at what you do!

Cons

It may be too fast paced for some people but that is what you get with Technology companies and I don't think our entry level sales and customer care teams realize that. It is not utopia at AL but I don't think that exists anywhere. We have changed our comp plans in sales too often and may have done a bit too much trial and error on new services. Most of the negative posts on here are from call center people and early in career sales people that have some valid and some non-valid issues. These roles are notorious for producing pessimistic attitudes but they have some real valid issues. Comp plans did change entirely too much along with constant change that didn't always make sense but that is all behind us.

Advice to Management

Fix the Director/Sr Director bonus structure - they are critical to the success of the company! Be careful of becoming too top heavy at the executive ranks. Promote from within the people that have strong performance metrics and not just the ones who are really good at managing up!

10. "Great company, short time."

Former Employee - Territory in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Territory in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Angie's List full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance is great. Product is good but needs improvement.

Cons

Devalue of my market per my ability to meet and exceed goals.

11. "Member Sales"

Current Employee - Member Sales in Indianapolis, IA
    Current Employee - Member Sales in Indianapolis, IA

I have been working at Angie's List full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for and very positive atmosphere. Very supportive and flexible with helping you find a better position if you are a hard worker .

Cons

Redundant and repetitive taking phone calls.

Advice to Management

Management is great.