Animal Humane Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Janelle Dixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"intake/exam/medical treatment of cats/dogs/crittets"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Animal Humane Society part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect, pay, great coworkers.great experience.

Cons

more work to do than an 8 hr shift allows, weekend work.

2. "Great Place for Animal Lovers"

I have been working at Animal Humane Society part-time

Pros

I have worked for many years at Animal Humane Society in both part-time and full-time capacities. It's an effective, important non-profit and the people who work there eat, sleep, and drink the AHS mission. Pay is on the higher-end for non-profit animal welfare work, and the benefits are great. Fun culture. Love working here.

Cons

The only "cons" to working at Animal Humane Society (and the only reasons I did not give AHS a 5-star rating) have to do with management and senior leadership. While many managers and senior leaders are great, there definitely are "favorites" among managers and senior staff. Staff "favorites" are treated much differently than those that are not regarded as favorably.

Advice to Management

Concentrate more on equality and opportunity for lower-end employees. Try not to "play favorites."

3. "Great company ruined by terrible managment"

I worked at Animal Humane Society part-time

Pros

Wonderful place to work, good hours, good pay. Really loved my coworkers that were at my level, and generally am very happy I took the job as it was a wonderful experience.

Cons

Got new management who basically cleaned house and got rid of employees that has worked there for over 15 years.

Advice to Management

Everybody who works there besides management are some of the hardest working individuals on the planet. Your job is to make it easier for them to get what they need done, not throw them under the buss to cover your own behind because you're in over your head.

4. "CEO indecisive, overworked and underpaid."

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Animal Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to take a break and hang with animals, 100% comoaby paid, 4% 401k matching. Ability to work around your schedule.

Cons

Overworked and underpaid. 3% annual increase no matter how long you've been at the company. Have to work mandatory holidays, no questions asked. Confusing and unproductive catalytic coaching. White-based, older populated senior leadership. CEO fires folks no matter rather tenancy, constantly changes her mindset for how the company should be ran and where it should be going.

Advice to Management

Get rid of catalytic coaching and start paying per performance review. Reward those long standing employers instead of firing them off and rehiring.

5. "Ok"

Pros

Great environment and great people

Cons

Not enough pay, lack of communication

6. "Rampant mismanagement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a place that does attract people who are devoted to animals. Maybe sometimes too much so.

Cons

The president makes it clear that what she says goes. So anybody who wants to stick around has to spent half their time trying to stay on her good side. If not? You're out the door. I saw many very skilled and talented managers fired for no good reasons. So senior managers were largely incompetent. I left before it could happen to me.

Advice to Management

There's not much management can do as long as the current president is there. Good ones leave or get fired.

"Chaotic, poor senior management"

Former Employee - Manager in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most staff have passion for the mission. They love animals so will put up with a lot. But then they get taken advantage of.

Cons

Senior management say one thing, do another. They make all the decisions but pretend they value input. CEO likes animals but not people. She fires people left and right.

"supervisor"

Pros

Working for the good of animals

Cons

High turnover of employees at all levels

Advice to Management

Stop the turnover-coach and develop people, don't burn people out by not staffing appropriately.

"Lovely, but be careful"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good environment to work with animals if you have a passion for it. There is so much turnover for animals and its great to see them find new homes after caring for them. The work is tough but rewarding and my coworkers were some of the best Ive ever had. Great overall work experience, and great people Ive met here.

Cons

In my opinion its very hard to please or be in communication with any of the managment. You have to be very careful with time off, or any kind of slip ups. People get fired from here often and for not so fair reasons also. You have to be very careful with what you do or say here or you WILL get fired. I didnt feel I was in very good communication with management and info sort of just trickled down or was sent in emails, not face to face.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees besides huddles and one on one meetings. Miscommunucation can lead to troubles with scheduling and with how your employees feel, often times I and my coworkers felt unappreciated here. Try to connect more instead of firing people. Alot of people that work here love the job, and Im sure it would feel nice to not be worried about getting fired for stupid mistakes..

10. "Adoptions"

I have been working at Animal Humane Society part-time

Pros

Company is great, discount on products and free adoption after 3 months of working.

Cons

Management is not very accommodating when it comes to school or other job. Regarding Time off, not very accommodating even with months notice.

Advice to Management

Be more assertive.