Animal Humane Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Janelle Dixon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Adoptions"

I have been working at Animal Humane Society part-time

Pros

Company is great, discount on products and free adoption after 3 months of working.

Cons

Management is not very accommodating when it comes to school or other job. Regarding Time off, not very accommodating even with months notice.

Advice to Management

Be more assertive.

2. "Lovely, but be careful"

Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Saint Paul, MN
    Former Employee - Animal Care Technician in Saint Paul, MN

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good environment to work with animals if you have a passion for it. There is so much turnover for animals and its great to see them find new homes after caring for them. The work is tough but rewarding and my coworkers were some of the best Ive ever had. Great overall work experience, and great people Ive met here.

Cons

In my opinion its very hard to please or be in communication with any of the managment. You have to be very careful with time off, or any kind of slip ups. People get fired from here often and for not so fair reasons also. You have to be very careful with what you do or say here or you WILL get fired. I didnt feel I was in very good communication with management and info sort of just trickled down or was sent in emails, not face to face.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees besides huddles and one on one meetings. Miscommunucation can lead to troubles with scheduling and with how your employees feel, often times I and my coworkers felt unappreciated here. Try to connect more instead of firing people. Alot of people that work here love the job, and Im sure it would feel nice to not be worried about getting fired for stupid mistakes..

3. "Camp Lead"

I worked at Animal Humane Society part-time

Pros

Great cause and strong focus on mission. There was real hard work done to help the animals and customers. Rewarding work

Cons

Pay isn't ideal, as one could assume from a non-profit, which means you may be asked to do more than what you are getting compensated for.

4. "Exhausting...but very rewarding!"

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro about working for AHS is knowing that the work you do makes a difference in the lives of animals every day. The coworkers I had were fantastic - very supportive and willing to help others learn. The pay is really good for a non-profit organization, and the benefits are outstanding.

Cons

It's pretty much impossible to finish all the tasks you need to get done in one 8-hour shift. During the employee retreats there are anonymous questions asked of senior leadership and some of them are pretty inappropriate. I felt awkward and uncomfortable being surrounded by that tension.

Advice to Management

Spend a few days shadowing operations staff to find out just how big of a workload they take on and see if there's any procedural changes that could happen to make their workloads more manageable.

"Work here for good feelings, poor salary, poor advancement opportunity"

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time

Pros

Excellent mission, great daily work being done for animals

Cons

Despite claims of being transparent, atmosphere seemed sneaky and unreasonable at times. No upward mobility options, extremely concerned with internal politics. Almost all female staff, which had an impact on some staff.

"Other than the some senior leaders, an amazing organization."

Pros

Lots of passionate people that want to do the right things. Very mission focused people and many of them are committed to continuous improvement.

Cons

The leader of the organization has been allowed by the Board for many years to either drive out or allow top talent to leave. The turnover in direct reports to that individual speaks volumes but nobody seems to be listening.

7. "Great Place To Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Golden Valley, MN

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Community minded, you get to see animals everyday, diverse staff, casual work environment

Cons

Can be cliquish in upper management

"intake/exam/medical treatment of cats/dogs/crittets"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Animal Humane Society part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect, pay, great coworkers.great experience.

Cons

more work to do than an 8 hr shift allows, weekend work.

"Best place to work"

Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Golden Valley, MN
    Current Employee - Animal Care Technician in Golden Valley, MN

I have been working at Animal Humane Society part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment is very much like a family, getting to handle animals all day is also a huge plus for me. I love that at AHS we are always trying to make things better for animals and that they care very much for how we are employees are handling what can be a very tough job at times. I think moral is a lot when it comes to the happiness of employees and I know that is something that we strive for at AHS.

Cons

I guess you could say that the compensation isn't the greatest but really you have to look at the big picture with this particular issue. We are a non profit and we try our best to put as much funds as possible towards the animals and their well being.

Advice to Management

Maybe allowing PTO to accrue at 6 months of being a part time employee instead of 1 year, that might make some employees a little happier knowing that they can take some time off if it really is needed.

"Not a humane place to work"

I worked at Animal Humane Society full-time

Pros

The mission of the organization is compelling and the employees are committed. You are able to help animals find new homes.

Cons

Management does not treat employees well. They are always letting people go and always have lots of openings. They don't seem to care about the employees.