Animoto Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 35 reviews

4.2
Animoto CEO Brad Jefferson
Brad Jefferson
  1. "Culture cannot be beat"

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

The team really works on problems together like family. We hang out lots even outside the office. I feel that no one here just "mails it in", but that everyone really cares. And mgmt is pretty transparent about everything and shares all financials every week with the company.

Cons

There's a fair amount of volatility in terms of priorities and team changes. I don't know if this is typical at startups, and I guess it adds some intensity (in a good way), but it can be tiring when it happens too frequently.

Advice to Management

See "cons" above! But if I have to write more, then advice is to hire great people, don't settle for B players, because it drags us all down. And maybe get some people who have more experience, since we seem to be making it up on the fly a lot.

Animoto2015-09-22
  2. "Great people, great product"

I have been working at Animoto for more than 5 years

Pros

The people here are great and the product we make is something many folks love.

Cons

It's a startup so there are some ups and downs at times as we experiment.

Advice to Management

Don't stop experimenting - it's built us a successful business so far!

Animoto2015-09-21
  3. "Award winning"

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

The culture is very laid back and creative. Every tech company says they are creative, but we actually have an artistic design team that makes it feel extra creative. Especially when they design the t-shirts for the internal hackathons. Animoto is made from a diverse set of people. Some of the founders worked at MTV and AWS. New employees get to make an introduction video, so it's easy to find friends with similar...

Cons

This isn't the place for button-down corporate people. Animoto still has the feel of a start-up. Many of the reviews on this site seem to be written by interns, so some of their complaints would probably not be complaints if they had experience at other companies first.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice for management, since they seem to be doing a good job navigating the complex waters of growing a startup into a world-class company.

Animoto2015-09-21
  4. "Creative atmosphere"

I worked at Animoto full-time

Pros

Lots of brilliant developers and creative people working on a product that customers really care about. High visibility into the company's performance and direction.

Cons

Product strategy was a moving target. We'd spend time on enhancements that would eventually be abandoned. There was lots of restructuring but it could be more stable now.

Advice to Management

Keep focused on a strategy and follow it through. Don't try to be everything to everyone. Keep pricing plans simple.

Animoto2015-09-23

"Good Staff, Questionable Leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Animoto full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The staff are the nicest most affable people. The company truly cares about culture. The CEO is a talented and intelligent businessman and seems to have a vision for the company.

Cons

Most of the executive team seems to be confused about the how to achieve the direction the company is heading.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees; Your worker's make the culture. Hire the right people for the job and get rid of superfluous managers and yes-men.

Animoto2015-07-14

"Overall Really Good"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto

Pros

Environment is great. Upper management is really open to talking to you and just helping you with whatever. The coworkers are all smart and cool. The office itself is really open and nice, it's right around st marks so there's always good food around.

Cons

It's a bit clique-y. People will generally stick to their teams like marketing or engineering. Everyone is friendly enough but it's just hard to break into groups that have already been established for so long.

Advice to Management

I've noticed some people don't really acclimate to the environment well and have a hard time making friends at first so maybe something to introduce new hires and get to know everyone.

Animoto2015-03-13

"Needs Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time

Pros

The work environment is great. It is open, collaborative and has all of the typical "start up amenities", like stocked kitchen, ping pong, game systems and Beer Fridays. There are also two work gatherings/hackathons each year that brings all employees together at the NY office. There is a lot autonomy in roles and management is fairly transparent about financials and numbers. CEO frequently hosts an anonymous Q&A...

Cons

The employees don't use the product. You would be hard-pressed to find someone who works for Animoto that has used the product more than half a dozen times. There seems to be a lack of personal investment in the development of the product. The organizational structure is flawed and the compensation is below industry average. Aside from some user testing, Animoto does not listen to its users. Support is limited....

Advice to Management

Rethink the organization structure. Recognize stellar employees in addition to company-wide recognition. Don't bring in interns as cheap labor. Hire employees with experience and a sound work ethic who want to work for the company because the product is innovative not because there is beer in the fridge. Care about the end user. Offer better support and listen to their needs and concerns. Create styles and features...

Animoto2015-02-07

"Keeping the lights on"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic office environment, fridges are always well stocked, standing desks, ping pong and couches. Co-workers are generally good people.

Cons

There seems to be lack of any clear direction. Management is inexperienced and uninspiring. I'm worried about attrition and the future of the company.

Animoto2013-11-05

"Animoto is not a good company"

I worked at Animoto

Pros

The product is actually pretty cool. I hope it helps people in their personal and work lives

Cons

The company refuses to treat their customers with respect. It hurts the customer service department, as no issues can be resolved over the phone - only email/ticketing system. Animoto commonly overcharges, but does nothing about it unless the customer brings it up. Not a good way to run a business. #EthicalConcerns

Advice to Management

Care about your customers more, teach your staff to listen to customer concerns, and remember that customers pay the bills.

Animoto2013-08-21
  10. "Fair and relaxed environment, with good, experienced managers and a smart executive staff that's still figuring it out."

Current Employee - Developer in New York, NY

I have been working at Animoto full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive salary, with a work hard, play harder attitude. Smart management and overall good people to work with. The company culture is great.

Cons

Not as nimble as it should be for a start-up. Technology is a hindrance at times.

Advice to Management

The grunts know the frontline, so management should implement suggestions based on the workers experience.

Animoto2013-07-24