Anixter International Reviews | Glassdoor

Anixter International Reviews

Updated July 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and great benifits to match (in 24 reviews)

• great training, work life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons

"Mediocre experience, low pay, office culture stuck in the 1980's."

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst - Buyer in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst - Buyer in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands on experience from the start. There is no shortage of work to be done. There are always new positions opening in the department, because the job turnover is so high.

Cons

Very low pay compared to industry, lackluster benefits plan. Minimal vacation days. Minimal paid holidays. It takes 10 years to reach the max amount of vacation, plateaus after that point. Minimal training/guided learning opportunities after orientation. Workload can be extremely heavy at times. Office environment has the tendency to be very clicky. You have to get on management's good side to get anywhere. Working hard and generally keeping to yourself goes unnoticed. Supervisors have so much on their plates that they do not have much time to help you with issues or questions.

Advice to Management

Offer compensation plans that are more competitive. Give your employees more time off. Value their opinions and feelings more. Adopt a more progressive office culture. Incorporate the use of more modern technology, such as an ERP system for inventory to work off of.

"Typical Warehouse Position"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, work-life balance is fine. Great co-workers.

Cons

Terrible Management Decisions with shady backdoor dealings. High employee turnover.

3. "Operations"

I have been working at Anixter International full-time

Pros

Anixter is a strong solid company. The people are what make this a great company to work for!

Cons

No Cons to report at this time

"If you have a passion for outdated technology and detached upper management, this is the company for you."

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Anixter International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a large desk and there was very little overtime.

Cons

Nearly everything, I worked for the Clark Security Products side of the business and nearly half of the sales staff across the country ended up walking out the door at some point during/after the merge. Anixter shoved old, outdated software down our throats that made it extremely difficult to accomplish any work. All this while having to justify the inconvenience to customers, feeding them false promises of how things would be getting better soon.

Things never did get better.

In fact, things just continued to get worse. Upper management was detached enough to the point that they began thinking it was a problem with the sales staff. Not a problem with whatever moron put CLARK, a company who sells high volume of small products (door hardware) on the same internal system as Anixter who sells low volume of extremely large products (wire).

This merger was a total joke.

I made a measly 40k a year as my reward for selling over a million dollars in product and sat next to my Anixter counter parts every day and watched them literally do less than a quarter of the work while they made twice as much money. Bonuses were decent until they took those away because we were 'getting more than they expected.' I walked out the door after that.

Several of my coworkers tried to jump ship from CLARK and join the Anixter side of things as they would have received an additional 20k base salary to do so. Management would not allow career progression to happen in this way because CLARK was losing people at such a rapid rate.

Advice to Management

Get it together. This company is run by a small handful of inbreds who are incapable of listening to their subsidiaries. I still meet up with my coworkers every now and then and every single one of them hates their job so much it nearly brings them to tears to talk about it. Pay your CLARK employees a living wage so they aren't borderline living in poverty if you plan on sitting them next to people who make twice and much for half as much work.

"Anixter"

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Glenview, IL
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Glenview, IL

I have been working at Anixter International full-time

Pros

Good people, decent work environment, lots of people have worked there longer than 10 years

Cons

unrealistic dates on projects, not really conforming to standard project management practices, high employee turnover depending on project

Advice to Management

The only advice I'd have is to start looking into why so many have left in the past year or so.

6. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Current Employee - Warehouse Associate

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance is cheap, for IRS purpose only, relaxed and friendly workplace. 3 weeks vacation after serving 3 years is awesome.

Cons

Salaries are very low and not competitive with other places, we are seeing new people all the time.

"Chaotic"

Current Employee - Associate in Alsip, IL
    Current Employee - Associate in Alsip, IL

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company pays weekly and some of the entry level workers are nice.

Cons

There are too many cons to this job.
    1. It's clique orientated
    2. No scheduling properly. hours are erratic and constantly changing for no reason other than to be "safe".
    3. The company claims lean manufacturing with 5 s, but nobody knows the meaning.
    4. Leads are barely highschool educated and the supervisors have zero experience. This leads to the supervisor asking entry level workers what to do.
    5. Nobody follows the s.o.p. and that iso certification should be taken away.
    6. Very poor training and their "certification" is a joke. They just pass you and the person who certifies actually asks others in that department what do they do and is he/she doing it right.
    7. They do their best to prevent raises and keep you minimal.
    8. Turnover rate is extremely high and the regular employees joke about not making friends because they won't be here long.
    9. Very racist. The comments there by all races are very uncomfortable.
    10. Sexual harassment is rampant and if you have a wife and daughter, do not let them work there.
    11. Management does not listen or even care about anything other than them finding ways to pin blame for failures instead of solution finding.
    12. Nepotism is high
    13. Benefits are not great at all
    14. Contacting management about issues tends to lead that person getting fired.
    15. WASTE! They wast product and material. Total disregard of materials used. Excessive amounts or wire cut and just tossed.
    16. Tools needed are rare and people basically have to steal from each other.
    17. Expecting Jetsons on Flintstone machines.
    18. Never repair anything in that place. They can add new TV and paint bathrooms once a month but nothing in budget to fix machines.
    19. Supervisors do not give indirect time for no work and the employee eventually gets a production point for it. Supervisors are told not to give out indirect time because it reflects poorly on management. Basically they will punish the employee even though the employee had no work.
    20. They do not keep their word at all.

I could go on but figured 20 points were enough. Avoid this place if possible or use it temporarily till something comes by. This place needs a serious overhaul bad.

Advice to Management

Plenty of advice but like always they won't listen

"DON'T DO IT. RUN AWAY"

Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Glenview, IL
    Former Employee - Export Coordinator in Glenview, IL

I worked at Anixter International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None. Absolutely. None. Not ONE.

Cons

EVERYTHING. Cheap. No training. Fend for yourself. Get used to being berated, reprimanded, condescended to, given dirty looks of disgust and eye rolling to your face and PUBLICLY.

Advice to Management

Audit Department heads and managers on how they train (or not train) and treat their employees.

9. "inside sales"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dulles, VA

Pros

great training, work life balance

Cons

inside sales reps have to do practically everything

Advice to Management

let us focus on sales and not all the admin work

"Associate"

Current Employee - Packer in Alsip, IL
    Current Employee - Packer in Alsip, IL

I have been working at Anixter International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people was cool to work around

Cons

The pay can be a little better