Ann Sacks Tile & Stone Reviews

Updated Jan 28, 2020

2.6
Ann Sacks Tile & Stone CEO Herbert V. Kohler (no image)
Herbert V. Kohler

"Outstanding Team Environment, Collaborative Leadership, Tremendous Earning Potential"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As a boutique brand within the Kohler group of companies, Ann Sacks has the benefit of large corporate resources, with the atmosphere of a much smaller, family-owned business. Associates across our network of 19 showrooms worldwide are known, opinions valued and achievements recognized. Every effort is made by leadership teams to support Associates and ensure they have the opportunities and resources to be successful.

Cons

Our success as a company has generated significant growth, and we have sometimes been challenged to keep pace. However, management teams and Associates work collaboratively to identify needs and respond vs react to ensure challenges are addressed with an action plan to resolve.

Continue reading

"Outdated and Rigid, friendly co-workers"

Former Employee - Sample Showroom Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone part-time for more than a year

Pros

Corporate has been reorganizing and trying to create a good work culture. Family-oriented, friendly co-workers, parent company is Kohler. Can be flexible and understanding. High end customers and accounts to build relationships with.

Cons

High turn over. Poor training- employees are expected to train while also taking on a huge workload yet provide exceptional customer service immediately. Rigid- Stuck on outdated practices, Corporate says they want feedback and are excited to grow...but management gets frustrated and ignores suggestions or concerns. Manager only cares about targets and metrics, rather than balancing customer service, employee treatment and a healthy work environment. Employees are scared to act natural or convey their opinion because of stressful work days, lack of acknowledgement and poor communication/organization. No company parties, parking/transportation is really expensive and no marketing budget or resources. No benefits for part-time employees.

February 25, 2020HR Generalist

Sorry to hear the environment was not suited to you, as we did see a lot of potential in the partnership. Happy to provide some commentary around your post: What you may be perceiving as an outdated training approach has in fact, proven to provide the best education and the highest quality insights into our industry and brand. The best growth and training opportunities take place on the showroom floor in real time and that does sometimes mean a client could approach you before you feel 100% ready. Even if you don’t have the perfect answer, to your point - we do feel our clients deserve exceptional service at every encounter and ask that you lean on your manager and senior members of the team to guide you! We take it as a compliment that our clients cannot differentiate between the skill level of our team members, they simply have a fantastic experience with every associate they meet. Acknowledge fully that it takes a special talent to embrace that challenge but those are the types of candidates that have lasted the duration for our brand! Thank you for your comments about all the great things at Ann Sacks, in our culture work, comradery and importance of family. Per your observations of the showroom benefits, as this sounds so atypical of the other showrooms in our network, we did attempt to reach you for insights. Although we were not able to connect, we have inquired with your location specifically to confirm that fun team events, marketing events and commuter benefits are in place for Seattle as intended. It would be great to understand more about why you felt you were unable to participate; we’d love a call back if possible?

"Exciting Job but Toxic Workplace"

Former Employee - Technician in Portland, OR

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Developed new ceramic glazes and products for annual launches, worked with some amazing and talented coworkers

Cons

Dealt with persistent sexual harassment, sexist culture, and a toxic work environment on the factory floor during the entire length of my employment from multiple perpetrators that was unaddressed by upper management and HR for years. When I was preparing for my departure, the new HR staff seemed to be working to finally address this, but it was a little too late for me. Hopefully upper management will follow the lead of HR.

December 5, 2019HR Generalist

Appreciate the note and the acknowledgment of the truly exciting role you held! It was a loss to Ann Sacks to see you go and especially now that the appropriate leadership changes have been made, who aggressively enforce our company-wide zero-tolerance policy, It would have been great to keep you as part of the Ann Sacks family! Despite the required annual training and refreshers, it is impossible to control the poor choices employees sometimes make. What we can control however is our response to those choices and we are appreciative of those who bring things to our attention. We agree we do have a pretty great HR team at the helm these days and glad you could see that coming through. Hope you’re settling into your new role well and thank you for the lovely contribution you made to our product line during your time with Ann Sacks!

"Sell, Sell, Sell and get burnt out"

Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time

Pros

Great exposure to A&D community Ann Sacks is owned by Kohler Co. You can make really good money if you have the "right" accounts" Decent insurance, 401k, and work hours Beautiful product with several "launches" a year

Cons

Low salary plus commission. Must sell and ship $X amount each month to earn commission If you do not have the "right" accounts (high end designers/architects) you are NOT making any money Lack of inventory... ALWAYS out of stock. If you do not have stock you CANNOT sell Employee turnover is over 40% & during my short time there I saw lots of ppl leave Company runs "top heavy"....as in sales people have the lowest salary while managers and above double in salary Expectations on monthly goals are laughable when you do not have stock and the right tools for selling Outdated software and lack of hands-on training The ppl you will work with are fake and never trust as they all talk behind your back No room for growth unless you live in Portland and work in the main office and can bounce from dept to dept.

January 21, 2020HR Generalist

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. Chiming in with a few comments on your post as we have received compliments from sales performers that they appreciate our compensation model. In fact, in benchmark research completed just this year, we confirmed that our percentage payout is the highest in our industry; which really allows those who perform in their role to control their own destiny! In support of our team, I have to point out that It is far more than 'luck' of having the ‘right’ accounts that makes up our top-earning group, its understanding the fulfillment timelines associated with handmade, high-end product and providing white-gloved support to the A&D/Client to ensure specifications are expertly planned. Our sales associates who are most successful have healthy pipelines of both short term and long term projects as well as in stock and custom orders. Our teams are supported by a state-of-the-art quoting system and Salesforce which is highly respected as a sales platform. I am not sure when you departed the organization but did want to clear that misinformation up for anyone researching our brand now. We have a fantastic team across our showroom network – creative, fun and highly driven. Sorry to read that you burned out of course, but important to note that your experience may be uniquely yours. We strive to make continuous improvements to support our teams and we are committed to providing competitive salaries to all of our associates for their contributions at all levels of the organization.

"Some managers have an age bias"

Current Employee - Sales in Portland, OR

I have been working at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time

Pros

good product, learning potential retail hours

Cons

age bias, was weird,, even my coworker noticed a certain manager talked to me with an attitude,, ignored me, i could cite many examples, but alas, would just sound like sour grapes or something, and i prefer non friction and just not talk in or out of work regarding work. wont put real location, also no exit interview for some odd reason, but then again, the manager filter probably hindered

June 18, 2019HR Generalist

Hi There, we do appreciate the note and would very much like to learn more if you’d be willing to share? Be assured that Kohler is an equal opportunity employer who makes a full commitment to ensuring our working environments are diverse and inclusive. In fact, we employ an entire team committed to D&I who are focused on designing events, creating organizations, and providing education and training, so all associates know that any form of bias will not be tolerated. Our chat will be confidential, so please reach out! My email is jenny.podolak@kohler.com - Thanks again!

6. "Great business"

4.0
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Ann Sacks is the perfect size organization; small enough that people still know each other on a personal level (even from across the country) but big enough to allow opportunity for growth. Most Associates are smart, hard working and enjoy their work. The culture is evolving and moving in a very positive direction.

Cons

Processes and procedures can be slow to move forward. While this is improving, it's far from perfect.

June 18, 2019HR Generalist

Agree on all fronts! Ann Sacks does get the best of both worlds; small business feel with the ability to network within the teams and resources of the larger organization (Kohler Company). Additionally, it's great to hear from the 'front lines' that the planned improvements are being seen. The number of technology and condensed process pilots we have running confirms that ours is a company constantly in pursuit of a better way. Stay tuned for sure!

7. "Beautiful Showroom"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time

Pros

Exciting and creative environment with a beautiful showroom.

Cons

Sales team tends to complain about sales goals. Seems to be very competitive and unattainable.

April 3, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to chime in on our page. I couldn’t agree more, the L.A. showroom is stunning and definitely serves its purpose of inspiring design creativity. In actual fact, it recently underwent a remodel as we wanted to ensure the sales team had the best tools for success; glad you enjoyed it. I will have to dig deeper into your statement about sales goals being unattainable only because I know some of our top earners are based out of that location specifically. It may take some friendly competition to get there, but it certainly suggests it’s doable with the right talent behind it. Have a great rest of your day in Sunny California and thanks again!’

"Toxic Culture"

Former Employee - Showroom Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time

Pros

Beautiful, high quality product. I worked with a wonderful group of associates in the showroom that were dedicated to providing a high level of service to our clients. Excellent company benefits through Kohler.

Cons

The ever changing culture is toxic! Corporate can’t seem to land on who they want to be to the client or how to service the showrooms/sales staff. The corporate office is like an extreme episode of “mean girls”. You have to kiss up to Kohler Senior Management - they do not want to hear any negative feedback.

Continue reading

"Ann Sacks doesn't Value it's Employees"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand is awesome and the product is beautiful.

Cons

Ann Sacks doesn't give their employees the tools to be successful. They set unrealistic sales goals and the pressure to meet these goals in unrealistic. They do not want to spend any money to help an outside sales person develop relationships within the design industry. They require that you have a car, but do not give a car allowance or pay for parking, when several of their showrooms are in city locations where parking is difficult and expensive. Ann Sacks is all about the profit margin. Upper management doesn't have a clue about what a showroom needs or how to offer valuable support.

Continue reading

"Horrible corporate team and environment"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ann Sacks Tile & Stone full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Zero in the plus column.

Cons

Too much to name. The former HR person should be in jail for her treatment and manipulation of employees and rule bending.

April 3, 2019

Appreciate the feedback on your experience. It’s never easy to read comments such as this but we appreciate them because it allows us to recognize how far we’ve come. Highlight on the word ‘former’; a great leadership team can sometimes take trial and error to build. I can tell you we recently have onboarded some new leaders that are passionate about people and committed to helping our associates succeed. Seeing a fresh focus on that ‘great Ann Sacks culture’ you referenced has everyone excited once again! I think our ability to constantly look in the mirror and make improvements is why we do see so many former employees reapplying after they have left to try something new. Anyway, best of luck on your next venture, in your eight years with us, I know you’ve developed some great skills to take with you!

Found 34 reviews