Ann Taylor Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ann Taylor CEO Gary Muto
Gary Muto

Pros
Cons
  • They care about work life balance, but do not underestimate the amount of work that will go into this position (in 63 reviews)

• Don't earn commission or bonuses for selling credit cards (in 160 reviews)

1. "Depends on the culture of each store"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor (Less than a year)

Pros

-50% discount on clothes
    -Flexible hours
    -Great co-workers

Ann Inc. is a good company, overall. Your experience with the company will vary largely upon the location of your store, your store manager, and your co-workers. I worked at Loft in 2 different states. My experience in Chicago was rocky at first, but my managers and co-workers were always supportive. When I relocated, my experience was absolutely terrible. I worked with very young people who did not want to work and had no connection to the brand. My store manager was rude, petty, and micromanaged my every move. I was reminded on how to do my job every 10 minutes, even though I had been with the company long enough to know how to do my job. When I quit, I was threatened and then was not spoken to for the remainder of my employment with the company.

Cons

-Upholding company wide policies depends upon the store manager and location in which you work
    -Micromanaging
    -Poor pay for quite a bit of work
    -Lack of support from management
    -Rude customers; customers can do VERY disgusting things in your fitting room
    -Quality of clothing has sharply declined

Advice to Management

Trust your associates, especially if you offered them a temporary management position

2. "Store Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great discount, flexible hours, good customer service, team environment and management support

Cons

Work/life balance issues, outdated processes/systems, decreasing sales, competitive landscape is a challenge, low base salary

3. "Great company to work for!"

Former Employee - Loft Sales Lead in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Loft Sales Lead in Naperville, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great clothes, genuine culture, a philanthropic environment (raising money for the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, St. Jude Children's Hospital, and community involvement in other initiatives at the store/district level) as well as leadership who actually care about their employees as well as the customers.

Cons

It's retail, so a retail schedule can be challenging--late nights and early mornings, and often in succession. Payroll/workload was also a challenge--often the designated workload from corporate (window displays, price changes, store sets) took longer than the hours actually allotted to us, causing us to have to cut payroll and work slim in other areas, especially towards the end of the week.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! It was so valuable to have the style videos and style guides that would come out every season. The videos which showcased Gary/Joan/Austen really brought the brand and its decisions to life.

5. "Very high volume."

Former Employee - PT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - PT Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

50% off all FP items. 75% off one FP item from each department every season.

Cons

Very high volume, mostly tourists. Following the 2016 re-branding, seamstresses would come in and complain about quality of fabric (mostly dry-clean only) and tailoring.

6. "poor employment"

Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great discount on clothing, work around school schedule.

Cons

allow management to hire friends, negative work environment, don't listen to employees concerns or needs, and allow individuals to work their whom belittle workers.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they are saying that the work environment needs help or something is going wrong.

7. "Management Needs Work"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

Some managers really appreciated the work that sales associates and stylists put in.

Cons

Many managers seemed unwilling to work with schedules of part time employees especially when time off was needed so that we could continue going to school and passing our classes. Often the work load was unfair and biased. Managers often took breaks before their sales associates and gossiped behind each others backs which led to an unhealthy work environment.

8. "Empty Promises"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Tinley Park, IL
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Tinley Park, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing positive I have experienced since starting with this company in June 2015.

Cons

The company's claim that they believe in "Work Life Balance" couldn't be further from reality. I average 50-70.

"Co-Manager"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for. Everyone is super helpful and genuine and there is a sense of community. Also the discount is nice :)

Cons

There aren't many downsides to working there. It's retail so the hours can be draining but that's expected no matter where you go.

Advice to Management

Keep training and developing your employees because in the end, they will make your job that much easier and satisfying. Get to know them as well.

10. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The management is great and very hands on, they are also very flexible and willing to work with you.

Cons

There has been a lot of turnover recently, however this is a part time retail job so that is to be expected

11. "Give me a manager"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts are great and works with your schedule.

Cons

Not very clean. Does not train associates well.

Advice to Management

Find good leaders and you will have better management

Showing 47 of 1,761 reviews