Ann Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

Ann Taylor CEO Gary Muto
Gary Muto

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • trying to get a weekend off is like pulling teeth so the whole work-life balance doesn't really apply here (in 73 reviews)

• strong push to open credit cards (in 179 reviews)

1. "Changes Are Coming"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Merchandise discount
    Many locations
    Made good friends

Cons

Clients returns are overwhelming
    Merchandise moved constantly
    price changes constantly
    flash sale nightmares

Advice to Management

If the LOFT stores are still around in five years it will be a surprise to us all. Pay attention to what's happening at store level. The so-called "grunts" are who run the business. People hiring their buddies hurts the company and is a horrible practice that causes great employees to walk away after years of service.

"Disappointing Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discounts at Ann Taylor, Loft, Justice, Lane Bryant, Maurice's; coupons; (semi) flexible schedule; there aren't very many pros to working here

Cons

Selling credit cards, not enough help, pay is not competitive, management will tell you one thing and do another, cannot trust anyone

Advice to Management

Appreciate those who stick by you through the tough times

3. "Okay company"

Pros

Retail is always going to offer a flexible schedule
    50% discount

Cons

Management at local level needs work

"They preach good service and community but dont treat employees the way they expect them to treat customers"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Manager in Wayne, NJ
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandising Manager in Wayne, NJ

Pros

The discount on clothes was the best part.

The clothes and quality actually are really cute. Its to bad I refuse to shop here after such mistreatment

Cons

Management that visits store once every 6 months and ruins any good morale that was starting. They will actually LOWER your salary for no good reason. Try to push you out instead of firing you

5. "A Love/Hate Relationship"

Former Employee - Sales Lead/Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Lead/Associate

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoyed the discount and the people I worked with. My manager worked with our schedules and was very accommodating when time off was needed. As a student, this was a great place to work. I felt as if I knew trending styles from working here.

Cons

It's all about getting people to sign up for the credit card and getting customers to spend money, which is why I frequently want to quit. I understand tender share and dollars per transaction, but the amount that it is drilled into us makes me sick. I received a good employee review; however, it was not as high as it could have been due to my inconsistencies with getting people to sign up for a credit card. The company doesn't seem to care about other experiences, such as return visitors. I've had people say if we continue to ask them to sign up for a credit card, they won't return. Additionally, the full-time manager doesn't like it when we mention the teacher and student discounts. She has scolded us many times for asking if customers are teachers or students because she wants to earn as much on each transaction as she can. Further, the part-time manager always has a bad attitude--something is always wrong, she is too stressed out, or "just needs a drink."

I know anywhere you go in retail, you'll have those customers who are rude. It's just a fact of life when working with people. I feel like I frequently helped a lot of rude people here! So many people don't say thank you or act like you're bothering them (which honestly we probably are because of the credit cards).

Advice to Management

Honestly, I haven't returned since I quit last year. I don't feel welcome there. I moved on to a different career; there were no hard feelings (at least from me) but my manager was very rude. I have friends/coworkers and we talk about where we shop, so treat your customers and employees with respect! Provide coachable moments for other aspects of retail, don't harp on the credit card as much, be positive and encouraging to your associates. Your attitude and work ethic influences our attitudes and work ethics.

"No Diversity, Little Work-Life Balance"

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time

Pros

Times Square location near subway.

Cons

Incredible that in this day in age and in the fashion industry there are companies with such little diversity. The company culture is mainly women and they can be very 'cliquey' and catty. Long work hours and little work-life balance. The in-house cafeteria is a good idea in theory but the food selection is not exactly high quality.

Advice to Management

As a company that advocates supporting women please consider opening your doors to other cultures and races. Show appreciation for the hard work of all employees.

"So so"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

I loved working with clients.

Cons

I worked at this company for many years at 3 different stores. Like most retail stores, the management team that does not work in the store day to day has no idea how the store runs or what is effective. The expectations of corporate were so unreasonable I couldn't continue to work for this company.

"Easy Work, No Promotions, Biased"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ann Taylor is a smaller high end retailer, so the amount of actual selling is a lot less than most clothing stores. You don't ever feel pressured to make goals or to get credit cards as a part-time employee.

Cons

I got one raise while I was there and it was only 15 cents, even though I worked harder than most of the other part time employees. The company also has a strict appearance that they want represented in their stores. If you aren't a tall, skinny, white person you are less likely to win favor with the districts or higher ups. They have to hire you for equal opportunity reasons, but they will consistently target your back until you leave.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about appearance and more about who has the personality to work in the store and sell the product. Give fairer raises and bonuses to those employees who do well.

"Loft- Typical Retail BS"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked a total of 4 years part time at Loft (2 different stores) and the best part was the 50% off discount off full price clothes and the seasonal coupons for 75% off 1 item in each department. I also really enjoyed most of my co-workers. My first manager was a dream come true. She was on the older side, more serious, and really appreciated that I brought my A game every shift so she was super flexible with my scheduling as I had a full time job. I'd say the overall experience working at LOFT has a lot to do with how good or crappy your managers are.

Cons

Where to begin...better than minimum wage, but unpredictable hours, "promotion" from part time associate to part time sales lead was only a $1 raise with 5000 times the work and responsibility. Do not be a sales lead unless you truly want to make retail your career one day (bless your heart). BY FAR the worst con is how hard you are pushed to open store credit cards. Let me emphasize that you, as a sales associate, reap no rewards personally from being the annoying and pushy person trying to convince people to open lines of credit. I've witnessed some very unethical practices to make sure at least one credit card is opened a day so your manager doesn't have to send the regional manager a "zero day" email (i.e. opening a credit card without seeing a person's valid photo ID). I've been told that the store manager's yearly bonus/raise is highly dependent on meeting these ridiculous credit goals. I would say my first 3 years were pretty decent, but my last manager was the most lazy and unprofessional woman I've ever had the displeasure of working with. She sat in the back room doing "paperwork" her whole shift, while everyone else was busting it on the floor. She also agreed to my shift availability when she became manager, but once she saw I wasn't going to be on board with being her BFF like she wanted all her workers to me, she told me she was going to take me off the schedule. Good riddance, I work a real full time job anyway and was really only there for the love of fashion. Way to suck the fun and dedication out of really good employees.

Advice to Management

Value your people and work as hard, if not harder than your sales associated. At the end of the day, management makes the real full time money.

10. "Sales Associate Review"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Good benefits even for part-time. Positive coworkers.

Cons

Some of the worst management I've ever experienced. They need to vet managers much more carefully.

Advice to Management

Work smarter. More hours of busywork do not equal fewer hours of actual progression.

Showing 277 of 2,007 reviews