Ann Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,941 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Does not care about work/life balance (in 69 reviews)

• strong push to open credit cards (in 173 reviews)

"So so"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

I loved working with clients.

Cons

I worked at this company for many years at 3 different stores. Like most retail stores, the management team that does not work in the store day to day has no idea how the store runs or what is effective. The expectations of corporate were so unreasonable I couldn't continue to work for this company.

2. "Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clothing discount, beautiful office, opportunity to excel IF you have the right boss

Cons

High turnover, everyone works in "silos" - little collaboration. Constant changes.

Advice to Management

Respect those who have been loyal through the turmoil and changes.

"Easy Work, No Promotions, Biased"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ann Taylor is a smaller high end retailer, so the amount of actual selling is a lot less than most clothing stores. You don't ever feel pressured to make goals or to get credit cards as a part-time employee.

Cons

I got one raise while I was there and it was only 15 cents, even though I worked harder than most of the other part time employees. The company also has a strict appearance that they want represented in their stores. If you aren't a tall, skinny, white person you are less likely to win favor with the districts or higher ups. They have to hire you for equal opportunity reasons, but they will consistently target your back until you leave.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying so much about appearance and more about who has the personality to work in the store and sell the product. Give fairer raises and bonuses to those employees who do well.

"Sales Lead Manager"

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Company is well established and has lots of tools to learn and grow

Cons

Hard to grow within the company

5. "Great First Job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinton Falls, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tinton Falls, NJ

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, wonderful manager, enjoyed talking to customers and making them feel great about the clothes they were wearing

Cons

High theft rate, strange relationship with corporate

"Loft- Typical Retail BS"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked a total of 4 years part time at Loft (2 different stores) and the best part was the 50% off discount off full price clothes and the seasonal coupons for 75% off 1 item in each department. I also really enjoyed most of my co-workers. My first manager was a dream come true. She was on the older side, more serious, and really appreciated that I brought my A game every shift so she was super flexible with my scheduling as I had a full time job. I'd say the overall experience working at LOFT has a lot to do with how good or crappy your managers are.

Cons

Where to begin...better than minimum wage, but unpredictable hours, "promotion" from part time associate to part time sales lead was only a $1 raise with 5000 times the work and responsibility. Do not be a sales lead unless you truly want to make retail your career one day (bless your heart). BY FAR the worst con is how hard you are pushed to open store credit cards. Let me emphasize that you, as a sales associate, reap no rewards personally from being the annoying and pushy person trying to convince people to open lines of credit. I've witnessed some very unethical practices to make sure at least one credit card is opened a day so your manager doesn't have to send the regional manager a "zero day" email (i.e. opening a credit card without seeing a person's valid photo ID). I've been told that the store manager's yearly bonus/raise is highly dependent on meeting these ridiculous credit goals. I would say my first 3 years were pretty decent, but my last manager was the most lazy and unprofessional woman I've ever had the displeasure of working with. She sat in the back room doing "paperwork" her whole shift, while everyone else was busting it on the floor. She also agreed to my shift availability when she became manager, but once she saw I wasn't going to be on board with being her BFF like she wanted all her workers to me, she told me she was going to take me off the schedule. Good riddance, I work a real full time job anyway and was really only there for the love of fashion. Way to suck the fun and dedication out of really good employees.

Advice to Management

Value your people and work as hard, if not harder than your sales associated. At the end of the day, management makes the real full time money.

7. "Amazing Management"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in South Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in South Pasadena, CA

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best management I've had at a job thus far.

Cons

There are no cons. Loved it.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

8. "Don't do it."

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Huntsville, AL

Pros

Discount was 50% and the clothes were very high quality, but still expensive with discount. Beautiful costume jewelry. The store was in a nice shopping mall.

Cons

Ridiculous responsibility for such little pay. We had to reset our store twice by ourselves and we were also responsible for painting the store for these resets.

Advice to Management

Hire reset teams

9. "Relatively relaxed and good store atmospheres"

Current Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Ann Taylor Loft Sales Lead in Austin, TX

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ann is organized! Company sticks to values, corporate employees are extremely friendly and always willing to help stores. Good discount at most company stores. The job is easy and most tools are handed to you.

Cons

Clients can be a nightmare, and will continue to be because corporate ALWAYS gives in to demands. Just like in any job, the store managers can be abrasive and the management can be undereducated.

Advice to Management

You've got a good thing going, don't lose good employees to maybe retain one low yield customer.

"Store Manager"

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time

Pros

High quality product
    Great incentives and company discounts across the entire Ascena brands

Cons

Ascena brands is undergoing financial troubles

Showing 1,941 of 1,977 reviews