Ann Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,919 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Does not care about work/life balance (in 68 reviews)

• push to sell company credit cards was frustrating (in 170 reviews)

"Typical Retail"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My store was close to my house, and I enjoyed flipping the store and doing the visuals.

Cons

The metrics you had to meet were usually outrageous and they just got worse as the years went by - making it impossible to meet the demands of what corporate deemed appropriate time frames to get things done. No one at corporate had ever worked at a retail store before, that was very evident. People started lying about the metrics they were hitting, in the hopes of getting corporate off their back or their DM for not hitting the mark, but you could always tell because your financial metrics for the day would be crappy from doing to much tasking that you said you were done with. I was always honest about where I was as far tasks went, and what still needed to be done, so that my DM was aware, and when she bucked up and said the rest of the stores are complete, I would laugh and tell her, "then why are they all calling me asking me where I moved this or that, and what did I do here or there." They weren't done, they just stated that they were to get her off their back. I was just honest, that way if she decided to pop in, she wasn't surprised if the store was half flipped and half not. The inventory was always off, and I was told corporate had a lot of turn over. I hear its gotten even worse since Scena purchased them. I know the quality and style has gone down for sure over the years. Ultimately, it is typical retail. Overworked, underpaid, the expectations/goals always being too lofty and out of reach. Higher ups expecting you to pull things out of thin air. so on and so forth. They claim a lifestyle schedule, but don't believe it. That is not a priority. I had only a couple weekends off in 2 years.

Advice to Management

I was management and offered my own store many times, but I was already working way more than I wanted to be working. The joke was that I should have a cot in the back to sleep there - per my DM and SM. I always declined that offer. Too much headache, not enough money. My advice to corporate would be to fully learn the retail game and what it entails; you need to work and run the floor to see exactly what it takes to do some of the crazy stuff you want done in the blink of an eye. Learn your clientele and stick with it. You guys started to get all lover the place trying to please everyone. News flash: Not everyone likes or will like LOFT, and guess what? That is okay. Start treating your management the way you would want to be treated. There is no reason why 2 managers every have to be there together all weekend long - holiday or otherwise. As long as they are not green; one manager can work and they can rotate holidays and weekends. Retail has a lot of turnover because people don't have lives outside of their job. And compensation is a joke. You want people to truly treat the business like its their own, then you should compensate accordingly.

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Has Flexible hours for students

Cons

Do not get enough hours

3. "Sales associate"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Generous discount for employees, but the way that different stores operate is too different in my opinion. Generous base pay rate.

Cons

The way merchandise is shipped to the store is very disorganized and inefficient.

4. "Co-manager"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Ann Taylor (More than a year)

Pros

The company stand for great causes and what Ann taylor represents but for poor very very poor on executing these values and standards. They need to refocus their efforts

Cons

Not enough money. To many hours for as much work as you do. They stand for internal growth but they never follow those standards

Advice to Management

Use your internal staff to promote. Give better pay for internal promotion.

5. "Flexible Hours, Good Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -Nice co-workers
    -Manager is helpful and works with employees to resolve issues
    -Good training

Cons

-Store gets re-arranged at least once a month

6. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Kind staff, wants to see you grow.

Cons

Not always flexible with schedule.

7. "Sales Associate"

Pros

Good management, friendly staff.

Cons

Long hours of standing and constant cleaning up., but that's expected as it's the nature of the work.

8. "Regret"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, and. Maybe flexible scheduling

Cons

The clothes are literally taken out of the box, steamed, then hang. That's fine except the THOUSANDS of women trying on clothes literally have smells that stick to the garments. Over priced poly-blends that don't hold up after washing.

Advice to Management

Be mindful who you place in management positions. If your stores have high turn over rates, there's literally a reason.

9. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Great team to work and flexible hours

Cons

The customers would always leave a mess

10. "Good place"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Very easy to work nice place

Cons

Horrible store Manager she is not nice to emploee

Advice to Management

Be nice to emploee

Showing 1,919 of 1,953 reviews