Ann Taylor Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

1,947 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Does not care about work/life balance (in 70 reviews)

• strong push to open credit cards (in 176 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I cannot say enough how grateful I am for time spent at LOFT. My time spent there during my gap year gave me the skills necessary to advance to a management team during my time at university. I thoroughly enjoyed the client oriented spirit of the company as well as the support from my team.

Cons

Difficulty in advancing through company ranks

2. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

There's no drama and everyone works together as a team. When you make the company money you get hours.

Cons

Low amount of hours in the summer and sometimes throughout the year. Odd hours but that's expected with any retail position

3. "Need a Strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good pay at the corporate office

Cons

Lack of communication and clear strategy. Very reactive versus pro-active environment.

Advice to Management

Get a better management team

4. "Sales"

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Knowing that your experience and suggestions on fashion helps with customers decisions. Getting to work with a team of women that get along on a daily basis.

Cons

Not enough hours given as a whole.

Advice to Management

Should reconsider increasing hours to each store so that mgmt has the ability to offer more and have enough coverage on a day to day basis.

5. "Full time sales lead"

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount
    Amazing, hard working coworkers

Cons

Management issues
    Extremely hard to get time off
    Low pay rate
    No work/life balance

Advice to Management

Appreciate employees more
    Give stores more payroll hours

6. "Sales Associate"

Pros

flexible, stylish, discounts, fun, social, busy, exciting

Cons

not really any full time non-management opportunities

Advice to Management

plan for crowds!

"Typical Retail"

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Ann Taylor full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My store was close to my house, and I enjoyed flipping the store and doing the visuals.

Cons

The metrics you had to meet were usually outrageous and they just got worse as the years went by - making it impossible to meet the demands of what corporate deemed appropriate time frames to get things done. No one at corporate had ever worked at a retail store before, that was very evident. People started lying about the metrics they were hitting, in the hopes of getting corporate off their back or their DM for not hitting the mark, but you could always tell because your financial metrics for the day would be crappy from doing to much tasking that you said you were done with. I was always honest about where I was as far tasks went, and what still needed to be done, so that my DM was aware, and when she bucked up and said the rest of the stores are complete, I would laugh and tell her, "then why are they all calling me asking me where I moved this or that, and what did I do here or there." They weren't done, they just stated that they were to get her off their back. I was just honest, that way if she decided to pop in, she wasn't surprised if the store was half flipped and half not. The inventory was always off, and I was told corporate had a lot of turn over. I hear its gotten even worse since Scena purchased them. I know the quality and style has gone down for sure over the years. Ultimately, it is typical retail. Overworked, underpaid, the expectations/goals always being too lofty and out of reach. Higher ups expecting you to pull things out of thin air. so on and so forth. They claim a lifestyle schedule, but don't believe it. That is not a priority. I had only a couple weekends off in 2 years.

Advice to Management

I was management and offered my own store many times, but I was already working way more than I wanted to be working. The joke was that I should have a cot in the back to sleep there - per my DM and SM. I always declined that offer. Too much headache, not enough money. My advice to corporate would be to fully learn the retail game and what it entails; you need to work and run the floor to see exactly what it takes to do some of the crazy stuff you want done in the blink of an eye. Learn your clientele and stick with it. You guys started to get all lover the place trying to please everyone. News flash: Not everyone likes or will like LOFT, and guess what? That is okay. Start treating your management the way you would want to be treated. There is no reason why 2 managers every have to be there together all weekend long - holiday or otherwise. As long as they are not green; one manager can work and they can rotate holidays and weekends. Retail has a lot of turnover because people don't have lives outside of their job. And compensation is a joke. You want people to truly treat the business like its their own, then you should compensate accordingly.

8. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Has Flexible hours for students

Cons

Do not get enough hours

9. "Sales associate"

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time

Pros

Generous discount for employees, but the way that different stores operate is too different in my opinion. Generous base pay rate.

Cons

The way merchandise is shipped to the store is very disorganized and inefficient.

10. "Co-manager"

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Ann Taylor (More than a year)

Pros

The company stand for great causes and what Ann taylor represents but for poor very very poor on executing these values and standards. They need to refocus their efforts

Cons

Not enough money. To many hours for as much work as you do. They stand for internal growth but they never follow those standards

Advice to Management

Use your internal staff to promote. Give better pay for internal promotion.

Showing 1,947 of 1,983 reviews