Anne Arundel County Public Schools Reviews in Fort Meade, MD | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anne Arundel County Public Schools Interim Superintendent Mamie Johns Perkins
Mamie Johns Perkins
1 Rating

Pros
  • Great benefits, awesome students, most staff really want to do what's best for students (in 11 reviews)

• There are many opportunities for professional development, often paid (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No support for staff who need help (in 6 reviews)

• The Board of Ed-took 6 months to have them adjust my salary properly (in 3 reviews)

1. "After School Tutor at Meade Middle School"

Former Employee - Student Tutor in Fort Meade, MD
    Former Employee - Student Tutor in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with children and help them learn new things.
    You get to be a positive role model for middle school students.

Cons

As a Student Tutor I was a volunteer so I didn't receive pay.

"Experience Depends Mostly on School But County is Inept"

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job Security, benefits, summers and time off

Cons

Teachers are not treated with respect or as professionals. Lack of leadership at all levels. County us better at OR than effecting actual change. Salary was frozen for almost 7 years. Professional development is a joke. Students and parents are not held accountable. Had to work several part time Jobs to make ends meet. No career path. No efforts to increase engagement or retention among teachers. Students run the school and are not held accountable for bad behavior. You are pressured to give good grades even if student refused to work.

Advice to Management

Treat teachers as professionals and with respect. Invest in real professional development and technology. Require administration to be leaders and true managers.

"Good and bad"

Former Employee - Teacher in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Kids are great. Teachers are awesome.

Cons

Poor administration, no support, lot's of petty bickering, backstabbing to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Act like adults, which is not the same as being ruthless to get ahead.

"I worked at a terrible school, can't say much about the district beyond that"

Former Employee - Teacher in Fort Meade, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel County Public Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Diverse community, interesting and dedicated co-workers

Cons

The school I worked at had a lot of on-going issues with administration, some of which are still going through the legal process.
    Issues with administration led to unfair treatment of employees and ability for students to get away with a lot of bad behavior.
    The school was extremely outdated. Administration pushed teachers to use technology, but there were barely enough outlets in the room to plug in a computer, pencil sharpener and a projector. Technology provided in computer labs and teachers' desktop computers were very outdated.
    There seemed to be a lot of "ganging up" by administrators and district-level program supervisors when problems arose with particular teachers. (I did not experience this personally, but saw issues arising around fellow teachers that seemed unjust.)

Advice to Management

I believe the administration has had a complete turnover since my time there, which is probably for the better. There were some very dedicated teachers who were undervalued and mistreated by the administration. I found that to be very unfortunate, as this particular school environment was not the easiest place to teach in the first place.

"Incompetent System"

Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Meade, MD
    Current Employee - Teacher in Fort Meade, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel County Public Schools (More than 5 years)

Pros

-The students
    -Summers off
    -Co-workers at the school

Cons

-No raise in 4 years, but the district is constantly spending money on new programs
    -They expect us to work miracles with little to no support or the tools needed to do our job
    -The curriculum I recieve from the county is horrible. The people in charge of the curriculum are out of touch with what our students need. We spend a lot of time rewriting lessons to meet the needs of our students.
    -The board makes it very clear that they do not care about how teachers feel. We do not have a voice. ETAG is one big PR campaign. If they really wanted to eliminate the achievement gap, they would equip all teachers with the proper technology, stoy starting new programs and master the ones that work / eliminate the ones that do not, trust teachers to create our own curriculum, give us a raise, and stop overloading our classrooms with students (get rid of the cost effective but student detrimental A/B day schedule.
    -They are constantly adding new tasks and responsibilities to our workload despite not giving us a raise
    -No growth potential as a teacher unless you become and administrator
    -They do not pay for extra responsibilities (department chair, content leader, etc.) as other school districts do