Anne Arundel Medical Center Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Victoria W. Bayless

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great place to work for a nursing student (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to work with regard to co-workers, work environment, benefits (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Culture of Excellence"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician

I have been working at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the compassion to help patients and family! I feel as if I have my own family at work, yes we may argue here & there but we come right back together, settle our differences and work hard to make the best of everything! There is definitely acknowledgement for hard work. Great benefits, great pay, and opportunity to learn and/or promotion!

Cons

None....there is always someone you may encounter that you have an issue with at one point in time AT EVERY JOB. Yet this doesn't make a con for AAMC, I LOVE MY JOB!

Advice to Management

Please give me more free meal tickets...I love them...I'm just saying...

May 31, 2017 – recruitment coordinator

We are happy to hear how great your experience has been so far at AAMC. Thank you for your comment and we are glad that you have chosen to be a part of our community here!

2. "Pct"

Current Employee - Pct in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Pct in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It’s a positive work environment. 3 day work week (12hr shifts)

Cons

Pay isn’t all that great depending on your job title

3. "Horrible Diversity in IS"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst III in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people prior to New CIO in IS department

Cons

- no diversity
    - no cultural understanding
    -very childish co workers reporting to management about who is friends and not friends over social media
    - More of a who you know and who likes you instead of who produces
    - Current CIO pushes personal agenda over hospital agenda

Advice to Management

It was great until new CIO, brought in no candidates of color and got rid of anyone who they perceived as a threat to his authority or ideas

4. "Mixed Bag"

I worked at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great CEO, great institutional aspirations, top clinical outcomes for types of patients and procedures performed. Shared sense of stewardship by front line staff and middle management.

Cons

Difficulty managing center growth vs economic and regulatory environment of MD (true for all MD hospitals), Some senior leaders are not savvy to adult learning principles, or solutions based leadership (leading to historic culture based leadership). Same leader not aligned with organization (which is disruptive). Poor use of Lean principles. Leadership that values method not outcomes.

Jan 2, 2018 – recruitment coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. As the health care landscape evolves, we’re always looking for ways to improve processes, and make sure our leaders are equipped to handle and embrace change. One way... More

5. "AAMC use to be a great place to work. I enjoyed my coworkers they made it a good to place to work."

Pros

My coworkers made all the difference, we worked as a team!

Cons

Management has totally changed, its all about the numbers, DO more with less. The employer needs are insignificant!

Advice to Management

Realize you need those hard working employees to make that organization run, they are the heart of the hospital.. .

Jan 2, 2018 – recruitment coordinator

We very much appreciate your feedback and take these comments seriously. We are committed to making AAMC a great place to work. We continuously review the feedback we receive from our employees to... More

6. "I loved my job, and was really good at it, until I was summarily fired."

Former Employee - X-Ray Technologist in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - X-Ray Technologist in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work weekends. Most of the employees are very nice. I was given consistent raises. Good, up to date equipment to work with. Excellent location, right off Route 50. Beautiful facility.

Cons

Toward the end of my time there bullies were rampant and supervisors didn't take it seriously. A new manager started, who was male. Why are males always the big decision makers is an industry where the majority of employees are female? That never ends well. After experiencing a minor difficulty with a doctor, I was called in to my manager's office for a write up. He told me that if I didn't perform a sexual act on him that he would fire me. I didn't and he did. I've never told anyone, not even my husband. I think I was in shock at first. Then I was too embarrassed and ashamed to say anything. For some odd reason, I blamed myself. This has ruined my life.

Advice to Management

Watch who you're putting in charge. There are a lot of predators out there.

Dec 11, 2017 – Manager, Recruitment

Your feedback greatly concerns us. Our organization does not tolerate harassment in any form. We have policies in place specific to discrimination and harassment to protect our employees. Please... More

7. "Run for the hills!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Annapolis, MD

I worked at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some units really have the best teams and nurses and doctors working for them. They made coming to work,worth it.

Cons

however for the most part, BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET is all we were hearing recently. They've taken away our employee discount in the cafeteria, the so called "merit increases" are a joke no matter how well you perform and everything is now based on patient satisfaction which is outrageous. They now are even dictating where employees should park with no regard to which part of the building they work in or safety of the staff!! They expected us to cater to the pts like its a 5 star hotel while making us work understaffed and over worked. Each unit makes up their own holiday policies and procedures for the most part. So if they need you to work a certain holiday, theres no importance given to your seniority. This used to be an great hospital to work at but since they are placing priority on money and not the wellbeing of their staff and patients, it all gone down hill. Every unit I have been on there are staff crying, angry, feeling unappreciated and looking for jobs elsewhere. I even spoke to the current CNO about safe patient to nurse ratios and she basically said that in the end it was a business and that we were nationally meeting our safety goals. I was floored because she said this in front of a lot of staff members who felt the same way I did. Point is, when your no longer at the bedside and raking in all the money, you tend to forget those that are in the trenches making you that money!! When they place the emphasis back on patient centered care and the wellbeing of those at the beside day after day, maybe they'll stop having such a high turn over rate. Having worked on different units while there, I saw over 25+ employees leave in less than 2 years. Thats a major red flag.

Advice to Management

Understand that patients are sicker and 10 times needier now in days and lower nurse to patient/ tech to patient ratios across the whole hospital!! Listen to those who are the heart of the organization!!!appreciate your employees no matter what the position is!!

Dec 27, 2017 – recruitment coordinator

Thank you for your feedback. While we do have to be good stewards of our resources, I can assure you that the wellbeing of our employees is a top priority at AAMC. We have made some recent changes... More

8. "Current employee review"

I have been working at Anne Arundel Medical Center part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule Good coffee on site. They try to make it nice

Cons

Parking
    Some don't care to be there and it shows in poor work ethic
    Low diversity

"RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Annapolis, MD
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Annapolis, MD

I have been working at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good doctors, pleasant nurses, good outcomes from surgeries

Cons

age discrimination, no support on units, directors unfair,

Advice to Management

hospital focuses on patient satisfaction, needs to focus on nurse satisfaction

Oct 31, 2017 – recruitment coordinator

Thank you for your review. We take these concerns from employees seriously and we have policies and procedures in place to protect our employees. Please contact Sharon Borland, Manager of Employee... More

10. "Love my job, but looking elsewhere."

I have been working at Anne Arundel Medical Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Located in Annapolis MD, it's a large, comprehensive hospital without having to drive into Baltimore or DC. Free onsite parking. Consistently receives high patient satisfaction scores. I have worked here many years and many of my good friends are coworkers.

Cons

Have had problems with inappropriate behavior / sexual harassment towards myself and witnessed by others, which was not taken seriously by management. Rather than take legal action, and be associated with a scandal that could negatively impact my career, I am looking for work elsewhere. Also be aware that there is such a strong push to cut costs that staff is expected to work short staffed rather than allow overtime to cover vacations or sick days.

Advice to Management

Even in an industry where the majority of staff is female, don't assume there isn't an old boys' club mentality among some male employees . This is sad because I love my job.

Oct 23, 2017 – recruitment coordinator