Ansaldo STS USA Reviews in Pittsburgh, PA | Glassdoor

Ansaldo STS USA Pittsburgh Reviews

Updated June 30, 2017

Pittsburgh, PA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free parking, one site caffeteria, gym (in 25 reviews)

• Parking garage and good food in the building cafe (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Good managers and engineers are being forced out or leave for better work at a different place (in 3 reviews)

• People who are loyal to the company are let go for no substantial reason (in 4 reviews)

1. "Challenging and varied work environment with opportunity to travel worldwide"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Traveling the world on the company dime is a plus. The work is challenging as we try to solve problems that are popping up in a still evolving hundred year old industry. There is literally years worth of backlog of work to do. Free parking, easy public transportation to get to the office, generally good co-workers, above average benefits, all add up to a good place to work. Now that the integration is done, more training opportunities are being seen by staff.

Cons

The integration from 2009 to now with our Italian parent company could not have gone worse. There was a ton of turnover up until late 2012 or so. Those who stuck it out now are starting to see some benefits (see the training comment above). However, we are still understaffed with many open positions.

Advice to Management

Better integration to the international model along with more effective communication of strategy would be helpful.

"Incompetent and Unthankful Management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Ask you for many hours of your life with ZERO reward

Advice to Management

Reward those that make the company profitable. If you don't they WILL leave (not that management cares since everyone is replaceable).

"Fun place to work, but environment was poor."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Made some lifelong friendships there. Engineering work was exciting and current and I learned a lot in my time there.

Cons

Environment was toxic with rumors afloat. Working with colleagues in Europe was very tense and the relationship we had with them was no conducive to an efficient workplace.

Advice to Management

Try to limit the amount of rumors and other cancerous topics from penetrating the chain of command.

"Worst Place I Have Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great cafeteria and free parking

Cons

Innovation and creativity is discouraged; you will not learn anything new, and you will use old technology. Management is poor at best. For these reasons most competent people leave after a relatively short time. Those who do not will find it more difficult to develop and maintain marketable skills.

Advice to Management

Create a workplace that values creative thinking and new ideas.

"Great People Questionable Leadership"

Former Employee - IT Department in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - IT Department in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good People
    Flexible schedule
    Nice building
    Lots of technology
    Plenty of work

Cons

Highly political
    Poor leadership
    Terrible HR
    High turnover
    Unprofitable

Advice to Management

Stop firing good management and replacing them with mediocrity

"Stagnant and undirected workflow"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was able to work at my own pace, and was told I could program in whatever language I was most comfortable with.

Cons

I was given an assignment by my manager and was to turn it in as soon as was possible. I had no direction as to what I was to do other then a short list of reqirements for the script. I could write it however I pleased. My manager checked in on me by email ever week or so to see what progress I made, and that was about all human contact I had.

I befriended a few full time employees there and heard stories of their archaic systems and frustrating management schemes. Most people there either were there since the building was Union Switch and Signal, or were farming a few years experience to get a better job elsewhere. From everything i've seen, and from looking around myself, it looks like a place that wouldn't facilitate personal growth in skillsets (you'd be constantly stuck using old technology) and would generally hold you back when looking for the next job.

Advice to Management

Hire a younger development staff to engineer a modern platform for your business. If the company doesn't modernize in the next 5-10 years I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers went into the red.

7. "Good place to work with engineers who care about their work"

Current Employee - Senior Control Systems Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Control Systems Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time

Pros

Rigorous engineering to solve challenging problems. The railroads have built up complex rules of operation over more than a hundred years, and translating those into systems that can manage all of the rules with critical safety features from the wayside to the dispatcher is a challenge. The people I've worked with have all been extremely helpful and take pride in what they do.

Cons

There are few training opportunities. Many of the most senior engineers with decades of experience left the company during what was widely considered a bad period for the company prior to 2012. That has left somewhat of a knowledge gap. The company needs to recruit talented young engineers who are willing to learn the railroad domain. "Cube farm" is not very inspiring.

Advice to Management

It seems like things have been turning around since Caligari left, and the company appears to have a pretty good idea of the direction in which it wants to go. Continue to recruit good people and work toward the vision.

"Ignore all of the old reviews...things have changed"

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As you can see from the older reviews of Ansaldo, there was a dark time. However, things have changed significantly over the past 18 months. The current executive leadership is intelligent, pragmatic, supportive and just all around nice people! The benefits package is fantastic, pay is competitive and there is plenty of room for advancement. There are teams of people actively working on improving work/life balance, company processes and personnel and project performance. I worked at Fortune 500 companies and the opportunities I have at Ansaldo far surpass any of those I had previously. You will find it a great place to work filled with great people supported by leaders with clear vision for improvement.

Cons

Due to the challenges and issues the company faced under previous leadership, many talented managers and engineers decided to go elsewhere for employment opportunities. This has caused some under-staffing issues. We have a giant back log of orders and many opportunities in the pipeline but we simply don't have enough people. Our "con", is a huge "pro" for job seekers - check out the website and apply!

Advice to Management

Keep the train moving (so-to speak)! Your support, insightfulness and down-to-Earth attitude make our jobs a lot easier.

"Two Thumbs Up for the New Team at Ansaldo USA"

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Our executive management has recently changed to put Mr. Tom Lawton in charge of the US opperations. Tom and his straight forward, honest approach of doing business can not be beat! The teams on the floor respect Tom and his executive staff and that in turn has been the catalyist for our turn around. Recently Tom has brought on board a new VP of Deleviry (Project Management) Mr. Tom Martino who I have high marks for since his experiance brings him into our company with the ability to hit the ground running.

Our Executive staff has brought focus to the things that are not working well and they have plans to fix them. We don't expect it to be prerfect here but at least there is a plan to make it better! That wasn't how we felt before. It is a fun place to work now and the difference from the past is increadable.

I have worked for Union Switch & Signal (now Ansaldo) for 38 years and have seen many good times and bad times throughout that span but, right now our team here is the best it has been in a VERY long time. I am proud to tell people that I work for Ansaldo-STS USA

If you are thinking about looking into employement at Ansaldo, DO IT! We need all the good talent we can get because our backlog is strong for years ahead.

Cons

There are still issues that need to be fixed but, I don't much negitive to say now. It would be nice if it was closer to my home but, I don't see that changing.

Advice to Management

Keep up the changes! You are on the right track!!!!

"Rigorous engineering for difficult problems."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ansaldo tackles challenging engineering problems and the people use thorough engineering practices and take pride in their work. There is a flex-time policy and fairly casual business environment. Ansaldo provides a 401k match.

Cons

Ansaldo faces typical business challenges such as figuring out how to work between departments and finding the appropriate levels of in-house support to meet business goals. The global integration with the parent company seems distant, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.