Ansaldo STS USA Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ansaldo STS USA President & CEO Marco Fumagalli
Marco Fumagalli

Pros
  • Free parking, one site caffeteria, gym (in 23 reviews)

• Great people to work with and always have plenty of work to do and challenges (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Condescending attitude by upper management (in 12 reviews)

• Uncomfortable all-hands meetings where executives scold employees and challenge them to quit (in their own words) (in 3 reviews)

1. "All around mediocre"

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere that makes you feel welcomed and at home. In house cafeteria with decent food and all around good working conditions.

Cons

Upper level management tends to not understand how to manage their employees and there seems to be a fair amount of micromanagement. Monetary compensation is on the low side for most positions.

Advice to Management

Be more personable and attempt to learn and understand what your employees are doing rather than just barking orders that are passed down from upper levels.

"HR Dept and Compensation Need Attention"

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

parking is free, location is in a technology park, building is newer, engineering colleagues are pleasant

Cons

New employees start making higher salaries than seasoned employees (disparity in compensation); HR is an underachieving team of non-experts. It was a vibrant bright team, but with the direction of the VP it has turned into a group of do enough to get by and lead to her own devised standards not those set forth by Ansaldo/Hitachi

Advice to Management

Review compensation, HR management and standards

3. "USA Perspective"

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive Starting pay. Take a salary you are comfortable living off of for several years. Excellent review raises or raises with a promotion were only 3-5%. With additional years of experience employees experience and worth quickly outgrew their salaries.

Don't stir the pot and you will have job security.

Cons

Most of the top management are Italians. This may change with Hitachi taking over but consider decades of ingrained culture. This plays a role in opportunities, promotions, reviews, advancement programs, etc... Proportionally Italian employees had first pick.

Expect to do things, because that is the way they always have done it. Ansaldo STS has a few projects that are their cornerstone templates for delivery. It is difficult to facilitate changes, improvements or innovations.

Get a sufficient starting salary, some experience, and move on.

Advice to Management

イタリアの管理を削除します 早く

5. "Picking Up Other People's Slack"

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time

Pros

Nice people
    Very important industry to be involved in (especially in the Eastern US)
    Many opportunities to learn new things you wouldn't normally see elsewhere

Cons

Your job title might say one thing but you might end up picking up someone else's slack
    Feels like management plays favorites
    Company prefers hiring others instead of promoting from within
    There is a lot of pointing fingers when things go wrong
    Projects seem unorganized with processes
    No formal training for new hires

Advice to Management

Take a step back and analyze the REAL schedule and not the PLANNED schedule when dealing with items being submitted late. If the process is broken, then help fix it.

6. "I still really want to believe in Ansaldo"

Current Employee - Projects in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Projects in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The most talented, intelligent people in the industry.
    Technolgy is good, but could be better.
    Flex time.

Cons

Does not promote from within.
    R&D is not funded as well as it should be.
    Management is completely separated from day to day work. They are only interested in profit and looking good for Hitachi.
    No understanding on management's behalf on what employees actually do all day.

Advice to Management

Reinvest in USA R&D. Our products are old and undesirable. Spread CBTC around and bring some of it into USA engineering. Apply DTG applications to CBTC to create more robust systems. It's a proven and award winning technology for Ansaldo. Remember: for every 1 USA employee, it takes 3-4 employees oversees to do the same thing. HR's line on promotions? There is no money in the "promotion bucket." And there is no merit overall in not rewarding employees for hard work. Respect your employees and they will respect you. When the CEO of the company is jail bound, remember it's truly the employees who have worked hard to ensure passenger safety on metros around the world.

7. "Watch your back"

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA full-time

Pros

Some of the nicest and most talented people I have ever had the opportunity to work with.
    Opportunities to learn technologies you don't see elsewhere in the software industry.
    Flex time - depending on your manager.

Cons

Company seemed to prefer hiring from outside the company instead of promoting from the talented pool of people within the company who actually know the technology. It was not like this as Union Switch & Signal.
    Management seems to have favorites who can do no wrong.
    No understanding by management on what employees actually do on a day to day basis. My manager who was brought in from outside the company picked two reviewers for me, one of whom she knew did not get along with anyone in my group and another I never even met.
    When the new manager was brought in, changes were made for the sake of making changes. Many people resigned and several transferred to other groups.
    I thought I was secure as I was the only person responsible for what I did. But I had a job title simply because it was the closest thing available to what I did on a day to day basis even though I was not responsible for much of the work associated with that title.
    Suddenly without warning I was let go because "my skill set no longer matched the position for which I was hired."
    I can't say I was a perfect employee, but my work was always completed on time, I got along with 99% of the people, and I truly CARED about my work and my co-workers. That wasn't enough.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at the talented pool of people who have been with the company for a number of years before hiring from outside the company.
    Learn more about what the DEV and QA engineers actually do on a day to day basis.
    Come up with job titles and responsibilities that actually match what DEV and QA engineers do on a day to day basis.

8. "No Room For Advancement"

Current Employee - PA - Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - PA - Pennsylvania in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a flexible work schedule and you are not micro managed. The benefits are standard for a company this size and the health care cost has not been increased for employees in 3 years.

Cons

Management does not recognize the hard work and dedication of I the employees. It is extremely rare for internal employees to be promoted. If you are looking for advancement in a company, it will not likely happen at Ansaldo.

Advice to Management

Management needs to promote internal candidates instead of always using external candidates. Management needs to invest in the employees and offer them professional growth and training. Management has poor communication skills.

"Looking for a position that will drain your self respect...work here!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Free Parking, Really intelligent and friendly teams, cafeteria has decent food, decent pay and benefits. I used to love the company until I learned it's true colors!

Cons

MANAGEMENT is absolutely the worst. They could care less about the employees, unprofessional, inexperienced and are not willing to evaluate their employees for the skills that they offer. Instead they have management who is not even in this country to make assessments and arbitrary deductions against your performance. In the meantime they do not have a clue to how you truly perform. They only promote men and you have to be part of the good ole boys club. Many of my team members bust their humps to get ahead, but this company doesn't offer any reward for hard work and dedication. They only choose to load you up until you break and they ask you why you didn't work harder! Stay Away if you like your health and have any self respect.

Advice to Management

Be more open minded, stop playing favorites, give credit where credit is due and promote those that deserve it. Stop promoting your buddies who are young & inexperienced with little management skills.

10. "Good company"

I have been working at Ansaldo STS USA full-time

Pros

Free parking, one site caffeteria, gym. Great people to work with and always have plenty of work to do and challenges.

Cons

Company seems to be in limbo from upper management stand point.

11. "Bad Company"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ansaldo STS USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of good learning opportunities, good people, opportunity for domestic and international travel, onsite parking garage, close to city and Oakland and South side, decent benefits package

Cons

Technology too old, company always in financial trouble, no technical training budget, no fair method of posting internal job openings, really had to question how managers got their jobs, company works in business silos controlled by Itsly and no cohesive direction

Advice to Management

Many times managers have engineering backgrounds but no business or IT experience, company doesn't seem to follow standard HR policies that are common in other companies and industries