Anthem Worldwide Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
David A. Schawk

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Good team, learning opportunities in packaging world"

Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Graphic Designer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Anthem Worldwide full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I get along well with my team in the local office. Good sense of collaboration between departments. I've gotten to learn several new skills, especially with digital 3D creation.

Cons

It's hard to move up in the company--I've gone up one level from where I started, but they hire art directors etc. from outside. And the corporate leadership has taken a lot of the power in the last few years, so local managers have little say in promoting employees and providing rewards for accomplishments. Also, the focus is almost exclusively on packaging (at least at the Minneapolis office); so you will be very good at that, but don't expect opportunities in other areas.

Advice to Management

Recognize talent and ideas from within, and allow local offices some control.

2. "Anonymous"

Pros

There are none. If I could give zero stars, I would.

Cons

This is the most toxic place I have ever worked at. Leadership is a joke, with no sense of vision for the future or any ideas on how to do business development. There is no culture or celebrations; everything gets cut due to tight budgets and lack of profitability. And, employees are treated like slaves. When they need to hit a number, employees are disposable and shown the door. There is no reward or recognition for any hard work, and the compensation is pathetic. If you would like a raise every year, don't come here since you'll never see it.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You are losing good people because you don't know how to treat people with dignity and respect. It's not all about the money.

"on the creative team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Anthem Worldwide full-time

Pros

A group of very talented and nice people working in the Bay Area office. Had some good clients and interesting projects.

Cons

Corporate politics too thick with too much red tape. Corporation does not know how to run the creative side of the business. Does not respect it's employees. Does not understand that talent is not an easily replaced commodity. Major revolving door of employees due to voluntary choice and layoffs. Cuts employees first to meet short term bottom line instead of analyzing more long term solutions. Lost most of their good clients.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people of talent like objects. Creative minds are not replaced like car parts. The value of the creative arm of the business is the people. Take a longer view than quarterly profits.

"Common slave"

Pros

The people are nice to work with sometimes.

Cons

Compensation is a popularity contest and very sexist. No recognition for work or acknowledgement. If you don't pat yourself on the back no one else will.

Advice to Management

Stop screwing people over year after year.

5. "admin"

Pros

-excellent work culture
    -great work life balance

Cons

-too much input from corporate offices that don't truly understand the business

6. "Designer"

Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Designer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Anthem Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is nothing good about working here.

Cons

The currently still owe me thousands of dollars they still need to pay me. Promised me promotions and then lied about it. Horrible work life balance. Upper management is a joke. No creative leadership. Last 5 creative directors quit. IT and HR are pretty much no existent. Printers don't work, internets rarely works. Strangest place I have ever worked. If you want to build a portfolio.....run the other way.

Advice to Management

Quite your jobs and go work at Taco Bell.

7. "Creative"

Current Employee - Creative Director
    Current Employee - Creative Director

I have been working at Anthem Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Good intensions. Good Work/Life balance.

Cons

150 years of deep intrenchment in pre-media and adaptive work means the road to elevated world-class creative is rocky, uphill, and at times completely washed-out for passage.

Advice to Management

Embrace new business models or just stay the course and be the best mediocre creative money can buy.

8. "Great people and environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Battle Creek, MI

I worked at Anthem Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are dedicated, professional and friendly.

Cons

Some managers are confusing and over direct.

Advice to Management

Accept different approaches to design problems.

"Lack of leadership."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Anthem Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People who do the work (the practitioners) are hard-working, honest, nice, and strive to do well.

Cons

This firm operates like a production factory, and if management remains the same, it will continue as a lackluster packaging firm. There is zero understanding of a strategic imperative, and no long term vision. Anthem exists by sheer volume bottom-feeding + chasing anything, over identifying and owning their own well-articulated value. No matter how well-intentioned on the surface, management's key concern is in protecting status quo and their outdated views, which hurts true growth of the firm and its people.

Advice to Management

Hire talented leaders that knows how to develop a thriving, sustainable brand business.

"Not a good place to work"

Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Anthem Worldwide full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people, centrally located office

Cons

Little collaboration goes on at this "creative" agency and the work is really mediocre. San Francisco office relies on a few accounts (Big Heart Pet Brands is the money maker), business development efforts fail, work isn't interesting, senior leadership really aren't that smart and are set in their own ways. A lot of simple minded people who are think they are challenging the status quo.