KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Anthem

Engaged Employer

Anthem

Add a Review

Anthem Employee Reviews about "work from home"

Updated Jan 24, 2021

Found 394 of over 3,262 reviews

3.6
Anthem President and CEO Gail K. Boudreaux
Gail K. Boudreaux
1,109 Ratings
Pros
  • "Work from home job , pto always available(in 339 reviews)

• "Great benefits and helpful training(in 157 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work- life balance is tough to balance(in 89 reviews)

• "No cons just curious on other work from home position that I can travel(in 71 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Anthem

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Anthem and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "work from home"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great company

Jan 21, 2021 - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work from home job , pto always available

Cons

Managers are sometimes hard to get in reach with

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good Company, Terrible Leadership

Nov 25, 2020 - Web Developer
      Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoyed my experience at Anthem, and my manager, for the entirety of my tenure there (which was 5 years). My manager made sure that I had a robust work/life balance, everything I needed to work from home full time, and that we were well taken care of during our in-person biannual PI planning sessions. Pay was average, but bonuses and benefits were good.

Cons

Beginning in early 2019, IT has been moved overseas. Stakeholders are not honestly informed at what changes are happening, and the work culture has become a toxic waterfall of "do all this programming to make everything more 'streamlined'" and "teach all these 'new employees' who are totally not stealing your job, how to do your job". Layoffs are done monthly (and have not paused even throughout the pandemic, even though Anthem is making bank from COVID), and only a handful of American workers remain present at the company. To keep the bad press away, Anthem donates huge amounts to charities and supports human rights campaigns, all while slashing their American workforce under the guise of "having a new vision" and positive change. Every Thursday is now a typical layoff day, and word is that Anthem plans to move their development, claims, and design to their overseas, privately owned contracting company in India, by March 2021. Before this nonsense, I planned on being at Anthem for life.

14 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Remote work available and good salary, but constant company reorganization and frequent layoffs

Nov 16, 2020 - Learning Experience Designer in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work at home opportunities (although there has been talk from upper management about reducing or making these more difficult to qualify for); decent salary, PTO, paid holidays, affordable insurance, 401K matching.

Cons

Constant reorganization of company, frequent layoffs, attempt to appear as the "corporation with a heart" but that couldn't be further from the truth; favoritism; promotions often based on who you know rather than what you know; some supervisors are “untouchable” although incompetent; lots of backstabbing going on. Lots of pressure to be “innovative”, but ridiculously tight deadlines often make that impossible.

6 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Nice Employees

Mar 2, 2020 - Grievance and Appeals Specialist in Hanover, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very nice, friendly, very helpful staff all around, very accommodating, Never felt alone, mostly work from home, lots of work to keep busy. Very minimal applications used, making work easier so that your not double and triple documenting or having to go in and out of multiple systems.

Cons

Poor intake staff, or lack of knowledge of intake staff, many errors and all cases routed to the Clinical staff/nurses to decide if they are appeals or claims or grievances. Not enough Non-clinical staff support. A Few issues with lack of Virginia appeals, Medicaid and Medicare regulation knowledge. With multiple changes in process weekly. However, they were working on making things better and streamline! Many abrupt changes within the company from time I started until my contract was abruptly cancelled with a 4 day notice. The company decided to let all contacted staff go, after 6 months with a promise of being able to apply for in house RN position, which was not posted because of budget. I was pretty happy in my position and I could see they were making efforts to make appeals and grievances department better!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work, but frustratingly cheap at times

Jan 14, 2021 - Actuarial Director in Indianapolis, IN
      Business Outlook

Pros

People, diversity and work at home flexibility

Cons

Lack of support to core business areas and teams. Austerity measures to meet EPS targets concerning staffing considerations

6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Structure and Brand Always Changing; Profit-Minded CEs Good for Stockholders

Jan 22, 2021 - Marketing Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

Corporate mindset, competitive benefits, bias toward hiring new talent, digital-first focus, promotes inclusion and community involvement, CE-level stock options and associate stock purchase program, work @ home during C19, many jobs in CA and GA, recognized brand on resume, a plus if you like a lot of change all the time.

Cons

Bias against developing in-house talent, corporate structure and brand always changing, many senior mgmt. layers, CEO heavily biased against work from home, large expense accounts for CE leadership, skeletal staff everywhere except digital, questionable management behavior tolerated as long as revenue targets are met.

1 person found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

Not Worth It

Dec 21, 2020 - Registered Nurse in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

1) The biggest pro is that you can work from home, not just during this pandemic but all the time. 2) Coworkers are very helpful and supportive. Everyone steps up to help others and make sure no one falls behind on their work. 3) No weekends/holidays 4) Pay is good and you start with 19 days PTO per year, you get 5 more days once you hit your 5 year anniversary. 5) Small raises and bonuses every year

Cons

This is one of the worst companies I worked for, both as a nurse and before becoming a nurse. It's so bad here that I'm leaving soon for a job that will pay me $20,000 less per year. That's how bad this place is. I would rather take less pay and be where my manager/employer respects me. Management is only there to tell you how corporate is mad at you, not to actually manage and develop you. I was told by my direct manager that I would be able to move up if I didn't have a reasonable accommodation for a disability. I wonder how else they are discriminating against people. Management is incompetent. I guess that's a prerequisite for being a manager here. They either do not return your emails or they try to make you feel stupid for asking anything. In the rare event they do respond to you, they give you blatantly incorrect answers and aren't open to their staff correcting them. We have constant meetings for things that could be said via email which wastes so much time. Then we're asked why we can't meet productivity. Well, that's because we have at least 2 meetings or trainings per day. Come on now. We are constantly short staffed. They are quick to hire more doctors but the nurses are so unimportant that we've been working short for years. But they expect us to get all the work done. CULTURAL CONVERSATIONS: This is the worst. Every day, we have to have a long meeting about sharing our feelings and they expect us to share our personal lives (nope). We were given a choice between career development and the cultural conversations. Those of us who chose career development were lied to, there was never a choice. Everyone has to do these ridiculous conversations and there is absolutely no career development program. If there are system issues, the company will mandate you stay on late until everything is done. It's not my fault you don't want to invest in updated systems. Why should I have to work until 8pm or 9pm? I do have a life outside of Anthem. Inaccurate workflows: many workflows are outdated. When we follow what we have, we're told how bad we've done and how angry corporate is at us. Well, let corporate try to do this with being severely understaffed. During the early stages of the pandemic, while other companies were helping their staff, Anthem is running reports to see how long we've been inactive on our computers and what websites we went to. We had to do online schooling for our kids, we had absolutely no choice. Schools were closed. We got calls from our manager asking us about our idle time despite our regular work being suspended by the state (we had no work to do for 3 months). Do they understand that we were all forced into this situation? No one chose this. It would be nice if they had a little understanding and compassion for the average working person who's just trying to make the best of this situation. Other companies were giving their staff free childcare hours from that major babysitting site, they were reimbursing for office supplies. Not Anthem. We got chastised for having to help our kids with online schooling and we got more and more reports ran to see how we're doing. Finally, the employee stock option. We get a discount on Anthem's stocks which come out of our checks after taxes. Anthem does not give us any stocks or contribute in any way. However, they still have a blackout of 12 months before you can sell the stocks. But this is my money, not yours. You didn't finance it like other companies do. Why are you telling me I can't access my own money? If you think where you're at is bad, please re-read my review and see if your job is really that bad. Hold out for something better, there are places better than Anthem

12 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great focus on the needs of the community

Jan 24, 2021 - Clinical Coordinator in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very professional yet caring environment especially since many positions are able to work from home

Cons

Hard to identify a career path

9. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

"It's a Trap!!"

Dec 10, 2020 - Customer Care Representative (CCR) in Richmond, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Typical call center environment. Repetitive work - difficult to start, but becomes simplistic. Benefits and pay are just enough to get by Work from Home w/ job security

Cons

To many managers - always in meetings, no clue what happens day to day. Total lack of communication - right hand has no clue what left is doing. No Feedback - you only know when you do something wrong. Career Advancement - doesn't seem to be available regardless of your college degree, past work/management experience, or how well you preform in your current role. Like I said "It's a Trap!"

2 people found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Wonderful company

Jan 18, 2021 - Appeals Nurse in Thousand Oaks, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work at home, great benefits, training, lovely people

Cons

Frequent changes in upper management other than that no cons I con think of

Viewing 1 - 10 of 394 Reviews