Anton Paar USA Reviews | Glassdoor

"Good company"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Anton paar does a really good job of valuing individual effort and helping each employee achieve their potential, if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

The company does struggle with some of the things you would expect a small company to struggle from. Its very fast paced and alot of travel for sales personnel with large territories. They are an extremely cost conscious organization.

Jun 1, 2017 – Director of Service

Thank you for the positive review and the insight in the cons section. There are some growing pains and we do try to spend the company’s money wisely. However, because we try to operate as... More

2. "Growing company with opportunity; European influences."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Ashland, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Ashland, VA

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Anton Paar is in an aggressive growth mode, which means that there are opportunities for advancement or change within the organization. If you have an interest in a role outside of what you are currently doing, the company is amenable to trying to make it work, you just need to ask. There is the opportunity to have a career rather than just a job.
    Being a private company allows the organization to make decisions that have better long term returns, instead of having to worry about the next quarter's earnings report. They invest a large % of revenue back into the product lines, so most of the time, the company has among the most advanced products on the market. Being private also allows for a stable working environment as short term cuts aren’t needed to make numbers.
    As a European owned company, many cultural aspects translate to the US organization, including good health benefits including employer funded HSA, flex time, free fruit in the office, working areas with natural light etc.
    The work is interesting too. Employees get to visit or interact with a variety of customer companies that do interesting work, but instead of being stuck working in one area or industry you get exposed to new things regularly.

Cons

One downside of a global company is that policy tends to be universal for the whole world. Sometimes these don’t fit what we would do in the U.S. well, but we have to still follow the guidelines. This rigidity can make it more difficult. For example, matching our marketing to the needs of US markets.

There is not an opportunity to earn an equity stake over time.

Some aspects of European culture, such as a more direct communication style in management, can take some getting used to.

Advice to Management

Make sure as many employees as possible get a chance to visit HQ in Austria.

3. "You'll get what you put in"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ashland, VA

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

There has been one constant throughout my time at Anton Paar: employees that stay engaged and continually push for higher levels of excellence receive opportunities and have success. This may seem obvious, but it's especially true given Anton Paar's plans for growth and acquisition.

Management has always been willing to listen to my ideas, and senior managers make themselves extremely available for meetings or discussions.

At Anton Paar, I get the feeling that I am not alone in appreciating the fact that our products impact some of the items I use most often in my everyday life. In this sense, working at Anton Paar is very rewarding.

Those who don't have success at Anton Paar seem to be those with generally negative or paranoid attitudes, and it is not a stretch to think that they will not move on to have success in other companies either.

Cons

There is a lot to learn when starting any new job, but the nature of Anton Paar's business can make for a bit of a learning curve for employees without a scientific background or high level of knowledge about Anton Paar's product lines.

The resources are in place for new employees to become educated quickly, and product line managers are extremely generous with their time, so this is a difficulty that can easily be overcome. That said, it certainly can make one's head spin a bit during their first days as a Anton Paar employee.

Simply stated, putting in the time to learn about Anton Paar products and technology is not difficult to do, and new employee's have full support of the existing, mostly very experienced base of existing Anton Paar employees.

"It used to be good........."

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Innovative and many products
    New acquisitions
    Aggressive growth plans
    Free fruit in Ashland office
    Truly an open door policy among many in the senior management team

Cons

For Ashland Employees - Time Clock, for everyone!
    Shouldn't exempt be a balance of give and take? Anton Paar will take extra hours from their exempt employees, then charge them PTO if they fall below 40 hours per week (according to the time clock). No consideration is given to work performed outside of the office, on weekends, or when someone "clocks out" for the day!

Benefits:
    This used to be a positive thing. However, the benefits notice just came out and now we are worse than most other companies. Granted, we only contribute toward health care benefits, but it costs the same as other companies now with many more choices for how benefit contributions are spent; there are no options for the other benefits. No 401K match and no guarantee that they will contribute toward profit sharing into the 401k.

Advice to Management

From the website:
    We show respect

Every single employee is important and valuable.

Honestly, it does not feel like Anton Paar wants to retain or attract talent. There is little respect for employees time or personal finances. opinions are respected, sometimes. There must be a trust and a balance among everything from hours worked to benefit costs to input from people with ideas.

In closing, consider the impact of financial decisions on your employees and solicit their feedback. The benefits notice for 2018 has been a disaster. I would recommend that the senior managers discuss what impact this will have on the lower paid individuals who work for Anton Paar. The administrative and support people, like me, will be spending thousands more for healthcare coverage in 2018 and beyond. This decision may lead to an exodus of experienced people, just when we want to grow!

Nov 3, 2017 – CEO

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am glad to see that our open door policy is appreciated.
    According to our accountability principles lived here at Anton Paar, open and candid communication... More

5. "Working at Anton Paar USA"

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

1. Health, Dental & eye vision benefits
    2. Fair wages
    3. Employee In Motion events
    4. Having fresh fruit brought in every Monday
    5. 5 yr employment anniversary bonus
    6. Advancement within the organization
    7. Flex Time
    8. Profit Sharing

Cons

At this time I have no cons to speak about. You get what you put into any work situation so when a company provides you the tools and incentives to succeed then my feeling is that it is up to oneself to go as far as you would like.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of your employees and they will take care of the business!

6. "Good instruments"

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Ashland, MA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Ashland, MA

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique company, acts like a small company but they're infact a large company

Cons

Overly worried about costs, to their own determent. Keeping costs down is a good thing, but not everything is for free.

Advice to Management

Team work could be a bit better

May 15, 2017 – Director of Service

Thank you for your honest review. The management team truly does appreciate the feedback and we take it to heart to see what we can do to improve not only the company’s performance, but also the work... More

"Playing games"

Former Employee - Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Service Engineer

I worked at Anton Paar USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The service team is a great group of people who support each other.

Cons

The company is amazingly cheap. They penny pinch about everything. The company underpays and overworks the service team. There is no overtime pay (they use the BS excuse about the jobs descriptions met the government's legal definition of exempt employees). That's all well and good legally but they use it as an excuse to under-pay people. All service staff should be paid overtime as well as location bonus. This breeds resentment among the service staff as well as lowers moral.

The service bonus is a joke. The requirements are unrealistic (60 leads is almost impossible to get). Compared to sales and product support which only has to get 30 leads to get their full bonus as well they sales and product support has the ability to get double lead share points (and their lead share payout are higher).

Advice to Management

Stop setting people up to fail. People aren't instantly replaceable. Actually, fix moral issues. Paying select 'favorite' FSE a bonus to encourage them to stay is upsetting to the rest of the service department and an unfair labor practice.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Service

First of all, I would like to thank you for the review. I fully understand your frustrations and as I have mentioned in prior responses, Anton Paar is not a company for everyone. It is good to see... More

"Good place to build a resume"

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Anton Paar USA is good at allowing its employees to achieve their full potential and offers great opportunities for advancement. Ambitious employees will find that management will move them around into whatever role they can be successful in that maximizes their satisfaction. Want to get out of the field so you can be home with your family every night? Want to get into the field so you can have a free company car benefit? Just speak up and you'll likely be accommodated.

Additionally, the company does offer some of the best technologies in the market in its more mature product lines. Employees in sales and service will often find that their jobs are made easier because of the reputation and quality of the density and rheology equipment in particular.

Cons

Salaries are slightly below those of comparable positions at competing companies. Management disagrees with this, but they are most likely using the service and sales salary data from companies that make washing machines and photocopiers to present the company's salaries as above average. When compared only to scientific instrumentation, the pay is below average.

There is also an oppressive culture of surveillance and mistrust from management. Anton Paar USA is a subsidiary of an Austrian company, and this comes through in every aspect of the corporate atmosphere. The office is full of PhD and MS level scientists who are forced to punch a time clock as if they work in a factory. The parent company treats the subsidiary as a colony to be squeezed of resources. The finances are structured in such a way as to claw back any profit made by the subsidiary, allowing management to present the condition of the Anton Paar USA as dire even when they are making money hand over fist. I suspect this is done to suppress morale so the employees don't start to feel they deserve more.

The productivity expectations are incompatible with the tight-fisted travel and entertainment budgets, unless you sleep in your car and eat at McDonald's. Every aspect of your day will be micromanaged and scrutinized. You will be chastised if you drink more than one cup of coffee. You will get nasty emails if you only called seventeen customers last week instead of twenty. You will be asked why you spent an additional $8 upgrading to a rental car with an air conditioner and cruise control.

Furthermore, it has been noticed that Austria doesn't appear to trust Americans to run the American subsidiary, as they are slowly forcing out middle management one by one and replacing them with Austrians. It has long since been the case that you are automatically disqualified from reaching upper management unless born in Austria, and this is now creeping down the ladder as well. Spend a year working for Anton Paar and you'll understand how these people tried to take over the world twice.

Advice to Management

Rip the time card reader out of the wall. Throw it in a field and let the employees go to town on it, Office Space style.

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of Service

First of all, thank you for your review. The pros you mention are all accurate and Anton Paar prides itself on quality and the professional and personal development of their employees. However, your... More

"Technical Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Great Reputation, smaller company feel, always bringing out new products, customers receptive to your calls and visits, very independent field sales where you are responsible for your schedule and sales goals, friendly helpful environment, very competitive compensation, friendly/easy to talk to management.

Cons

Travel some overnights depending on your territory size.

Advice to Management

Still fairly new but so far I like the openness and freedom. Everyone gets along when we are together. They are there and responsive to help when you need it. Share Ideas on what markets or key accounts to pursue. I feel really the only thing I could use more of is product training, but it seems like you really learn more on the go and being in front of customers.

Jun 1, 2017 – Director of Service

Thank you for your feedback and openness. Please continue to provide feedback to everyone within Anton Paar in an open and constructive manner as the culture is one of openness, direct communication... More

"Anton Paar USA"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Ashland, VA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Ashland, VA

Pros

Everyone in the company works hard to better themselves, and strives to help their colleagues better themselves on a daily basis. It's a very positive work environment and there a learning opportunities everyday. I like that I can come to work and be challenged. One of my favorite things about the company is the diversity of the employees.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time.

Jul 13, 2017 – Director of Service

Thank you for your review. Should any concerns develop, please reach out to a member of the senior management team and we would be happy to listen and develop a plan to improve the situation.