Anton Paar USA Reviews | Glassdoor

Reinhard Eberl

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

I am lucky to be part of a company where employees are valued for their work ethic. As for the negative comment in the thread, I can honestly say that person probably didn't communicate effectively and wasn't upfront or forth-coming with their concerns. Yes, I have been in disagreement with management and employees in Austria, however, we worked as a team to solve the issue at hand and as a result, increased profit. At Anton Paar, honesty and communication are key. I appreciate the fact that management is willing to tell you the truth if you are performing well or if you are not. Either way, you will hear about it. Anton Paar is concerned about employee growth as they (management) WANT you to further your education and learn as much as possible.

Cons

There is some travel involved depending on role, but if you like to travel then this is not a negative aspect of Anton Paar. Other than that, show up to work on time, complete your projects and work an 8 hour day and everyone is happy.

Advice to Management

Obviously, management can't please everyone. But, if majority of the employees appreciate your hard work and visually see you working hard, then they, too will follow suit. Keep up the good work!

2. "Good company"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Anton paar does a really good job of valuing individual effort and helping each employee achieve their potential, if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

The company does struggle with some of the things you would expect a small company to struggle from. Its very fast paced and alot of travel for sales personnel with large territories. They are an extremely cost conscious organization.

"Playing games"

Former Employee - Service Engineer
    Former Employee - Service Engineer

I worked at Anton Paar USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The service team is a great group of people who support each other.

Cons

The company is amazingly cheap. They penny pinch about everything. The company underpays and overworks the service team. There is no overtime pay (they use the BS excuse about the jobs descriptions met the government's legal definition of exempt employees). That's all well and good legally but they use it as an excuse to under-pay people. All service staff should be paid overtime as well as location bonus. This breeds resentment among the service staff as well as lowers moral.

The service bonus is a joke. The requirements are unrealistic (60 leads is almost impossible to get). Compared to sales and product support which only has to get 30 leads to get their full bonus as well they sales and product support has the ability to get double lead share points (and their lead share payout are higher).

Advice to Management

Stop setting people up to fail. People aren't instantly replaceable. Actually, fix moral issues. Paying select 'favorite' FSE a bonus to encourage them to stay is upsetting to the rest of the service department and an unfair labor practice.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Service

First of all, I would like to thank you for the review. I fully understand your frustrations and as I have mentioned in prior responses, Anton Paar is not a company for everyone. It is good to see ... More

"Enjoy my job"

Current Employee - Service Engineer in Ashland, VA
    Current Employee - Service Engineer in Ashland, VA

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Anton Paar is a great place to work for many reasons. The people are great and you really feel like a part of a family. There are extremely good benefits especially the healthcare. We often have parties, BBQs, lunches, and other fun company sponsored activities.

In my experience management has always been receptive to feedback whether positive or negative. They really work with you if you communicate openly and honestly. I gave my opinion once on a matter of company policy to our CEO and it was changed to my suggestion. I don't think many people could say this about where they work.

For all these reasons I truly enjoy working for Anton Paar!

Cons

Sometimes we get really busy and have to work more then 8 hours. However I never feel like any of my co-workers or managers put in less then myself. We all work together as a team to get things done.

Advice to Management

It is appreciated that you are receptive to feedback, please keep up the good work! Also in this climate of rising healthcare costs it is greatly appreciated that you try to keep that burden of minimal impact to us.

Mar 21, 2017 – Director of Service

Thank you for your feedback. Please continue to provide feedback to the management team, at all levels, on how we can continue to improve.

"Good place to build a resume"

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Anton Paar USA is good at allowing its employees to achieve their full potential and offers great opportunities for advancement. Ambitious employees will find that management will move them around into whatever role they can be successful in that maximizes their satisfaction. Want to get out of the field so you can be home with your family every night? Want to get into the field so you can have a free company car benefit? Just speak up and you'll likely be accommodated.

Additionally, the company does offer some of the best technologies in the market in its more mature product lines. Employees in sales and service will often find that their jobs are made easier because of the reputation and quality of the density and rheology equipment in particular.

Cons

Salaries are slightly below those of comparable positions at competing companies. Management disagrees with this, but they are most likely using the service and sales salary data from companies that make washing machines and photocopiers to present the company's salaries as above average. When compared only to scientific instrumentation, the pay is below average.

There is also an oppressive culture of surveillance and mistrust from management. Anton Paar USA is a subsidiary of an Austrian company, and this comes through in every aspect of the corporate atmosphere. The office is full of PhD and MS level scientists who are forced to punch a time clock as if they work in a factory. The parent company treats the subsidiary as a colony to be squeezed of resources. The finances are structured in such a way as to claw back any profit made by the subsidiary, allowing management to present the condition of the Anton Paar USA as dire even when they are making money hand over fist. I suspect this is done to suppress morale so the employees don't start to feel they deserve more.

The productivity expectations are incompatible with the tight-fisted travel and entertainment budgets, unless you sleep in your car and eat at McDonald's. Every aspect of your day will be micromanaged and scrutinized. You will be chastised if you drink more than one cup of coffee. You will get nasty emails if you only called seventeen customers last week instead of twenty. You will be asked why you spent an additional $8 upgrading to a rental car with an air conditioner and cruise control.

Furthermore, it has been noticed that Austria doesn't appear to trust Americans to run the American subsidiary, as they are slowly forcing out middle management one by one and replacing them with Austrians. It has long since been the case that you are automatically disqualified from reaching upper management unless born in Austria, and this is now creeping down the ladder as well. Spend a year working for Anton Paar and you'll understand how these people tried to take over the world twice.

Advice to Management

Rip the time card reader out of the wall. Throw it in a field and let the employees go to town on it, Office Space style.

Oct 3, 2016 – Director of Service

First of all, thank you for your review. The pros you mention are all accurate and Anton Paar prides itself on quality and the professional and personal development of their employees. However, your ... More

"Technical Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Great Reputation, smaller company feel, always bringing out new products, customers receptive to your calls and visits, very independent field sales where you are responsible for your schedule and sales goals, friendly helpful environment, very competitive compensation, friendly/easy to talk to management.

Cons

Travel some overnights depending on your territory size.

Advice to Management

Still fairly new but so far I like the openness and freedom. Everyone gets along when we are together. They are there and responsive to help when you need it. Share Ideas on what markets or key accounts to pursue. I feel really the only thing I could use more of is product training, but it seems like you really learn more on the go and being in front of customers.

"Anton Paar USA"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Ashland, VA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Ashland, VA

Pros

Everyone in the company works hard to better themselves, and strives to help their colleagues better themselves on a daily basis. It's a very positive work environment and there a learning opportunities everyday. I like that I can come to work and be challenged. One of my favorite things about the company is the diversity of the employees.

Cons

I have no complaints at this time.

"InMotion-Promotes Healthy Team Building"

I have been working at Anton Paar USA full-time

Pros

Promotes healthy work environment.
    Health benefits at a great rate.
    Free fruit!! Everyday!!! I'm turning into a banana.
    They host a 5k (so far) every year at Pittcon. It's kind of a big deal.

Cons

The temperature in certain parts of the building are different than the others......

"admin"

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

Pros

Great company to work for. Great team; opportunities to develop. You work hard, but you're rewarded for that accordingly. Awesome corporate events. Nice, neat and spotless office. Great benefits

Cons

There are no major cons actually. everything can be discussed and solved with your manager or at company Town Hall meetings.

Advice to Management

Please continue be open with your employees. Continue growing developing. expanding. Townhall meetings is a great idea.

"Fast pace high customer count and very demanding"

Pros

To provide great experience for customers and associates. Developing others to achieve goals and the ability to grow a great career

Cons

The training and talent pool to run high volume business units with the ability to change on a dime to the high demands of company and customers expectations

Advice to Management

Keep it simple for all to understand