Aon Hewitt Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool
Kristi Savacool

Pros
Cons
  • Poor transport which directly effect your work life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Typical consulting with no work life balance (in 42 reviews)

"Great work environment"

Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Investment Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, work culture, get to work on a variety of projects and areas, have the option to work remote, not a lot of micro managing and you really get to own your work load

Cons

Pay below industry average, the company is a global company so even though your group seems small and nimble, there are instances where you have to endure the pains of big company bureaucracy

"It was meh."

Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They offer benefits. Not sure if the prices are any good relative to other offerings.

They have a gym you can get free membership to.

They are pretty good about letting you work 8 hours and 8 hours only. If you work any more than that, they are required by law to pay you overtime. But once you get promoted to Systems Analyst, they own you. You may be required to come in on the weekend without being paid overtime (though is is uncommon, it tends to happen every now and then several times a year).

They provide training on the job. I felt like anyone could do the job, even a bright high-schooler.

New employees get to go on the "Launch" program and get flown out to Chicago for a 3-day stay at their headquarters. I got to stay in a fancy, expensive hotel in the heart of Chicago. It was pretty awesome.

They had a pretty decent networking program for entry-level employees to get to know each other once a month.

There were really nice, genuinely good people, and then there were terrible people who were extremely unpleasant to be around. I guess you just have to pray that you get a good team.

Cons

They treat you really well in the beginning, flying you out to Chicago for a business "conference" (but I didn't really learn anything important, but the trip was very fun. Morale highly increased once being flown out to Chicago for a 3-day business trip). After a while, they start to take you for granted. I felt patronized often. They give you paper certificates for your service milestones. My first though was "What are we, in kindergarten?" It would have been better not to give me anything at all, honestly. The appreciation felt forced and insincere (since all managers are required or encouraged give their subordinates these pieces of paper).

Culture was very much a "cubicle farm" culture. Very stereo-typically corporate (except for the monthly Set-up Configuration Networking program, where I felt at least the woman in charge tried to help develop their employees.).

The leaders spout a bunch of pro-innovation talk, but no incentive systems in place to motivate employees to actually put in the extra effort to try to innovate. There were slackers there who seemed to get away with wasting hours of time. Hard-workers would not be rewarded any differently than the slackers.

It was decent paying, but very boring and job tasks felt like a never-ending pointless grind. This would be a great job for someone who is okay with any job that pays. Don't expect any sort of fulfillment.

I had a mediocre experience with my team in particular. One other team had an enthusiastic (though openly ADHD) leader who seemed to treat his subordinates with consideration. I think my experience may have been different if I had a better team.

The bathrooms always smelled terrible. Work environment was very drab.

You will get very pigeon-holed (stuck to one specialty) if you stay with this company. They don't teach very many transferable skills (perhaps to trap their employees?).

Advice to Management

If you recruit new employees, treat them extremely well in the beginning, but then forget about them and treat them like you own them, of course they are going to leave eventually. Many of my entry-level colleagues had left within a year or two.

Get some hard-work incentive programs.

3. "Delivery Specialist"

Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Delivery Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aon Hewitt (Less than a year)

Pros

Job offers great flexibility and friendly coworkers

Cons

At first, the work is a little tedious

4. "Programmer Analyst"

Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Smyrna, GA
    Former Employee - Programmer Analyst in Smyrna, GA

I worked at Aon Hewitt (More than a year)

Pros

I liked my teammates. I liked the fact that office was close to where I lived.

Cons

Difficult to move to upwards to different positions.

Advice to Management

Allow people to grow.

"Do not apply for the pension department!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time

Pros

Benefits and pay that's all!

Cons

There culture, interactions, behaviors, and attitudes could be better. The department I work in is divided. It's every man for themselves and no one works as a teams. The inadequate training and lack of accountability makes the workplace hostel because everyone is throwing each other under the bus and pointing the blame somewhere else to save themselves even managers . There's a lot of he said she said and managers will believe whatever is said and sometimes they are the ones gossiping. It's really unorganized and the systems are outdated.

Advice to Management

To many hands is on one thing, it should be more standardized. Lead by example!

6. "It's just ok."

Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay...benefits are top notch...coworkers are excellent...growth potential is there...you have to be patient...some of management does try to understand how the processes should work...

Cons

No training...i was pretty much thrown in the water and it was sink or swim...processes are all over the place and need to be streamlined.

Advice to Management

Improve training process...stop hiring your friends and family...

"Overworked & Undercut"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The company believes in providing you training and process improvements.

Cons

You will work long hours which will be expected versus a bonus. Lots of politics where you may be undercut so someone else can get ahead. Pay is mediocre, get what you want coming in the door otherwise you won't get a raise for years as they will declare a hiring freeze.

Advice to Management

Work on the management at the bottom level otherwise your organization won't grow.

8. "Best Company w/awesome opportunities and benefits"

Current Employee - Defined Benefits Delivery Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Defined Benefits Delivery Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

vertical growth, brand name, reputation, virtual workplace in some regards, salary beat my lowest offer by 8k, knowledge of the industry

Cons

technology, co-workers, training opportunities, disengagement (ability to work virtually drives disengagement)

Advice to Management

keep workers engaged

9. "Company could do better...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Great benefits! Good work/life balance.

Cons

Poor communication across various departments. Poor lateral movement and under paid compared to the industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people working on the ground floor. Pay your hard workers what they're worth or you will lose them.

"The flexibility is great for people with families, but the workload expectations are unrealistic."

Current Employee - Benefits Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Benefits Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Flexibility - ability to work remote
    *opportunity to learn a lot
    *opportunity to get promoted if you work hard and let management know you're interested in other roles.

Cons

*There's a lot of turn over. I know people that leave to other companies to get higher salaries.
    *The pay. It seems almost impossible to get a decent raise during annual review. It's very discouraging and not engaging to work hard and not get compensated fairly for it.
    *Working with offshore is tough when they don't have management that pairs with onshore management.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees who clearly do extra and are motivated to provide their best work. After 1-2 reviews of not getting recognized for it through fair compensation, it is very disappointing and that it's why people move on to other companies.

Showing 53 of 2,698 reviews