Aon Hewitt Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool
Kristi Savacool

Pros
Cons
  • Poor transport which directly effect your work life balance (in 151 reviews)

• Typical consulting with no work life balance (in 42 reviews)

1. "Customer Service Associate"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Aon Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great schedules, loved the work, and the permanent staff were nice.

Cons

The staffing agency that's contracted is not a good one. No structure

"Aon Retiree Health Exchange"

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coffee was excellent. The cafeteria was convenient.
    I worked for Aon Retiree Health Exchange, enrolling retirees who were being transitioned off their employer group health plans and it was fraught with legal regulations. In the beginning they didn't even know how to do it we were not properly trained or maintained. As they realized a mistake they would punish us for it and act like we should have known when they didn't even know. Many legal regulations.

Cons

The supervisors and executives have very punitive style of management. After they used everyone to enroll 250,000 ATT retirees & after that job was accomplished, they began firing people for not complying with the new rigid quality. If you scored below 90% you could be fired. They could score you however they wanted to score you. They began hiring new employees at $3 less per hour so they began to just chose someone to fire. They never fired black people, it's true, I was there two years and I watched. Lots of psychological attacks by management. they fired me and denied me unemployment after I had enrolled close to 450 people for them making roughly $200,000 for them in my first year, maybe more. They are greedy. They told TX Workforce I was fired for misconduct, I appealed and won the hearing. Don't work for them unless you like to be in codependent relationships. The energy there is just oppressive if you are a sensitive person you will notice it right away. This place is a sweatshop. We made a fortune of money for them the first two years and they lowered our bonus package way below what was promised at hire. The upper management just took the profit for themselves and the way they honored their employees who made the money for them was to lower our bonus from $20 to $15 with thresholds that made it where we didn't get even the $15 for most of our enrollments and they were making about $425 or more or less per enrollment. Sweatshop.

Advice to Management

Be a real human being, grow a heart. Metrics are not everything. Improve your training. Change they way you score quality, use it as a tool to teach and improve rather than punish. Don't slam your fist on the table when concurring with your employees. Research psychological attack and stop using it to intimidate your employees. Stop lying to your employees or contradicting yourselves. Don't expect your employees to know what you don't know yourselves and then react punitively. I think it's called hypocrisy.

"Chaotic and Outdated"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Aon Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Cafeteria is descent even though portions aren't reasonable
    -Coworkers are respectable people if they're in the same job title as you

Cons

-Don't know who your supervisor is
    -To much internal jargon to keep new employees out of the loop
    -Don't actually care about customers, just make pretenses like they do
    -Sink or swim mentality
    -Coaching system is terrible. Coach said they only listen to "5-6" minute calls. This makes absolutely no sense since it benefits slow performers and doesn't leave any room to catch inefficiencies or variance in performance. Constantly berated by coaches who will run to your Randstad supervisor because you said one word wrong or will make accusations of things you didn't do.
    -Virtual coaches for new employees?? What? They flew someone from a different state for a week to watch us but his advice was "Ask the support chat"
    -Virtual coach wouldn't even show us how to use computer system which set us up for failure
    -Always correcting other CSRs mistakes definitely not client focused!
    -Proprietary systems that are inefficient and slow. Who uses Lotus Notes still? TBA SUCKS!
    -Constant berating by older CSRs who stayed with the company because they have no education and feel like they have something to prove
    -Job titles are stupid: Client Services Client Manager, Domain Manager, how is that even relevant?? I asked one trainer what the structure was and they ignored me!
    -Everyone thinks they're your manager
    -Inefficient company that runs of the Peter Principle

Advice to Management

This place is terrible and does not encourage employee or customer satisfaction. Don't expect employees who could have been high performers when you do unequal judgmental assessments of performance. Most managers and coaches are condescending. The way employees talk over Lync is condescending. Customer satisfaction is marred because of lack of support from senior staff. There's no real supervision or structure in this place. TBA and other proprietary systems are inefficient. Clients would be ashamed if they saw the way new employees are trained and treated! Hewitt would be fired if a client worked in the environment contract and new CSRs have to work in and saw how participants are treated like a burden! Only the unintelligent will ever be successful in this organization for not finding jobs somewhere else. I feel bad for the company that's about to buy Hewitt from Aon because it's truly broken and in the stage of corporate death.

"It was meh."

Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They offer benefits. Not sure if the prices are any good relative to other offerings.

They have a gym you can get free membership to.

They are pretty good about letting you work 8 hours and 8 hours only. If you work any more than that, they are required by law to pay you overtime. But once you get promoted to Systems Analyst, they own you. You may be required to come in on the weekend without being paid overtime (though is is uncommon, it tends to happen every now and then several times a year).

They provide training on the job. I felt like anyone could do the job, even a bright high-schooler.

New employees get to go on the "Launch" program and get flown out to Chicago for a 3-day stay at their headquarters. I got to stay in a fancy, expensive hotel in the heart of Chicago. It was pretty awesome.

They had a pretty decent networking program for entry-level employees to get to know each other once a month.

There were really nice, genuinely good people, and then there were terrible people who were extremely unpleasant to be around. I guess you just have to pray that you get a good team.

Cons

They treat you really well in the beginning, flying you out to Chicago for a business "conference" (but I didn't really learn anything important, but the trip was very fun. Morale highly increased once being flown out to Chicago for a 3-day business trip). After a while, they start to take you for granted. I felt patronized often. They give you paper certificates for your service milestones. My first though was "What are we, in kindergarten?" It would have been better not to give me anything at all, honestly. The appreciation felt forced and insincere (since all managers are required or encouraged give their subordinates these pieces of paper).

Culture was very much a "cubicle farm" culture. Very stereo-typically corporate (except for the monthly Set-up Configuration Networking program, where I felt at least the woman in charge tried to help develop their employees.).

The leaders spout a bunch of pro-innovation talk, but no incentive systems in place to motivate employees to actually put in the extra effort to try to innovate. There were slackers there who seemed to get away with wasting hours of time. Hard-workers would not be rewarded any differently than the slackers.

It was decent paying, but very boring and job tasks felt like a never-ending pointless grind. This would be a great job for someone who is okay with any job that pays. Don't expect any sort of fulfillment.

I had a mediocre experience with my team in particular. One other team had an enthusiastic (though openly ADHD) leader who seemed to treat his subordinates with consideration. I think my experience may have been different if I had a better team.

The bathrooms always smelled terrible. Work environment was very drab.

You will get very pigeon-holed (stuck to one specialty) if you stay with this company. They don't teach very many transferable skills (perhaps to trap their employees?).

Advice to Management

If you recruit new employees, treat them extremely well in the beginning, but then forget about them and treat them like you own them, of course they are going to leave eventually. Many of my entry-level colleagues had left within a year or two.

Get some hard-work incentive programs.

6. "Quality and Ethical Issues"

Former Employee - Client Management in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Client Management in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With the right manager, you could have a good work/life balance.

Cons

The company focuses more on quantity and not on quality. Some managers prefer to "hide" processes from a client to be able to make client think they are being managed within the agreed contract which borders ethic line.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in hiring processes and management of colleagues. You lose creditability when team observes one person being treated differently under same circumstances as another person.

7. "Worst company I've ever worked at"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Largely hands off management style

Cons

On the flip side, when you complain to management of serious problems nothing is done about them. As long as the fat cats get their big bonuses, many weeks off a year, and fat salaries, they really don't care about the little people. Also, the health insurance is very expensive. It used to be affordable, but since they switched to their own health insurance exchange, the premiums are out of control. Unacceptable company in many ways. I've worked there for several years and I'm fed up with it. Don't waste your time with this company.

Advice to Management

Clean house. When people bring serious concerns and issues to your attention, don't tell them that they are just "a number at a big company" (like my manager said to me) or completely ignore them. After a while, employees get tired of being ignored and having their concerns swept under the rug.

8. "Cons more than Pros"

Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Actuarial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

typical consulting
    people are kinda negative

Cons

A lot
    Unorganized
    Not many training for new hires
    No innovation and not acceptable for new ideas
    HRs are not professional
    Leaders are not professional
    Generally not a good company to work for

Advice to Management

Need to be more organized
    Hr should be more professional

9. "Run far far away"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aon Hewitt (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work for this employer to gain experience and knowledge after college. Take as much training as possible, as your career grows continue to stay. You will burn out an know when it's time to leave.

Cons

Do not expect to have a work life balance. High turnover out of the Philadelphia/Radnor office in last 3-4 years. Robot mentality as opposed to treating their employees like people.

Advice to Management

Show appreciation for the people working very hard for you. Provide guidance to new hires on the culture and the way the office operates while also allowing them to do the job for which you hired them. Work from the assumption that people are good fair and honest. Treat people like the adults and respect their boundaries and need for balance.

10. "Pharmacy Tech customer service"

Former Employee - Benefits Associate in Gurnee, IL
    Former Employee - Benefits Associate in Gurnee, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great hours , friendly peers

Cons

Micro manager, upper management not really friendly

"Pension Admin - RFM"

Current Employee - Pension Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL
    Current Employee - Pension Specialist in Lincolnshire, IL

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities to learn are infinite.

Cons

Horrible company to work for! They promote the mediocre employees and drive their best talent away! It is a highly toxic environment!

Advice to Management

Get rid of all the current project managers in RFM in Lincolnshire, IL !

Showing 264 of 2,676 reviews