Aon Hewitt Reviews | Glassdoor

Aon Hewitt CEO Kristi Savacool
Kristi Savacool

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • very demanding in terms of work/life balance (in 159 reviews)

• Typical consulting with no work life balance (in 44 reviews)

1. "Not the same"

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time

Pros

The people and colleagues are great.

Cons

Management at the top and in many of the offices lacking.

Advice to Management

Point of view is needed. Direction and strong market leadership required. Lack of focus on the people who work there and drive the revenue is leading to all of the best people leaving.

2. "AonHewitt-Lost"

I have been working at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you only look out for yourself and don't share info you'll prosper.

Cons

Too big to respond well to ever changing executive decisions. New hires stumble with little guidance. Technology can't keep up with executive changes. Success for the few that look good and do little.

Advice to Management

Pause on trying to keep chasing the increase in share prices before you destroy the company. And Alight? Name and co colors look like a bumble bee club.

3. "Horrible"

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time

Pros

No pros that I can think of...

Cons

Long hours, constant moving and shifting around of teams (re-orgs)

Advice to Management

Care about your people, not yourselves! If it ain't broke... DON'T FIX IT!

"HR Services Representative"

Former Employee - Human Resources Services Representative in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Services Representative in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible scheduling. Good vacation hours/PTO.
    Vacation hours are paid out when you leave.
    Good training. Constant interaction with managers.

Cons

- NO GROWTH
    - Pay is petty change

Where do I begin...... Started this position after graduating college in hopes that it would be aligned with HR specific opportunities. Went through the interview process and was told that it would be related to HR. Woooo great! Only to find out later when you're in training that you're working in a CALL CENTER. If you have a degree and the slightest bit of potential, do NOT take this job.

You will be praised by your managers and directors for your excellent quality, persistence, and overall attitude BUT when you ask for greater challenges, it's as if they shuffle it to the side and just feed you with BS that there are opportunities ahead. What? A dollar raise when you're promoted after wasting 6 months of your time? Only will they present opportunities to you where you use a molecule of your brain and most importantly, when you put in your two weeks to leave they scramble to keep you even though they knew it was bound to happen.

Overall, if you are someone who has to be told what to do, likes strict structure and just want something that gives you pennies for compensation and someone who does not have high expectations for yourself, by all means, this is the job for you.

BUT, if you are smart and want a challenge do not take it. Shame on me for my mistakes on not reading the reviews and doing my research.

Advice to Management

If you have young, ambitious talent, CAPITALIZE ON IT. If not, they will go work for a competitor, as such. Sadly, managers know who is capable of more, stop using them just to make your bottom line better. It's time to wake up managers.

5. "Customer Service Associate"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Orlando, FL

I worked at Aon Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Great schedules, loved the work, and the permanent staff were nice.

Cons

The staffing agency that's contracted is not a good one. No structure

"Aon Retiree Health Exchange"

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coffee was excellent. The cafeteria was convenient.
    I worked for Aon Retiree Health Exchange, enrolling retirees who were being transitioned off their employer group health plans and it was fraught with legal regulations. In the beginning they didn't even know how to do it we were not properly trained or maintained. As they realized a mistake they would punish us for it and act like we should have known when they didn't even know. Many legal regulations.

Cons

The supervisors and executives have very punitive style of management. After they used everyone to enroll 250,000 ATT retirees & after that job was accomplished, they began firing people for not complying with the new rigid quality. If you scored below 90% you could be fired. They could score you however they wanted to score you. They began hiring new employees at $3 less per hour so they began to just chose someone to fire. They never fired black people, it's true, I was there two years and I watched. Lots of psychological attacks by management. they fired me and denied me unemployment after I had enrolled close to 450 people for them making roughly $200,000 for them in my first year, maybe more. They are greedy. They told TX Workforce I was fired for misconduct, I appealed and won the hearing. Don't work for them unless you like to be in codependent relationships. The energy there is just oppressive if you are a sensitive person you will notice it right away. This place is a sweatshop. We made a fortune of money for them the first two years and they lowered our bonus package way below what was promised at hire. The upper management just took the profit for themselves and the way they honored their employees who made the money for them was to lower our bonus from $20 to $15 with thresholds that made it where we didn't get even the $15 for most of our enrollments and they were making about $425 or more or less per enrollment. Sweatshop.

Advice to Management

Be a real human being, grow a heart. Metrics are not everything. Improve your training. Change they way you score quality, use it as a tool to teach and improve rather than punish. Don't slam your fist on the table when concurring with your employees. Research psychological attack and stop using it to intimidate your employees. Stop lying to your employees or contradicting yourselves. Don't expect your employees to know what you don't know yourselves and then react punitively. I think it's called hypocrisy.

"Discriminates againts minority- African Americans"

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time

Pros

NOTHING, RACIST COMPANY, MINORITY DISCRIMINATION

Cons

Was not given proper training to perform job.

Advice to Management

Treat BLACK MINORITIES BETTER!!

"It was meh."

Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They offer benefits. Not sure if the prices are any good relative to other offerings.

They have a gym you can get free membership to.

They are pretty good about letting you work 8 hours and 8 hours only. If you work any more than that, they are required by law to pay you overtime. But once you get promoted to Systems Analyst, they own you. You may be required to come in on the weekend without being paid overtime (though is is uncommon, it tends to happen every now and then several times a year).

They provide training on the job. I felt like anyone could do the job, even a bright high-schooler.

New employees get to go on the "Launch" program and get flown out to Chicago for a 3-day stay at their headquarters. I got to stay in a fancy, expensive hotel in the heart of Chicago. It was pretty awesome.

They had a pretty decent networking program for entry-level employees to get to know each other once a month.

There were really nice, genuinely good people, and then there were terrible people who were extremely unpleasant to be around. I guess you just have to pray that you get a good team.

Cons

They treat you really well in the beginning, flying you out to Chicago for a business "conference" (but I didn't really learn anything important, but the trip was very fun. Morale highly increased once being flown out to Chicago for a 3-day business trip). After a while, they start to take you for granted. I felt patronized often. They give you paper certificates for your service milestones. My first though was "What are we, in kindergarten?" It would have been better not to give me anything at all, honestly. The appreciation felt forced and insincere (since all managers are required or encouraged give their subordinates these pieces of paper).

Culture was very much a "cubicle farm" culture. Very stereo-typically corporate (except for the monthly Set-up Configuration Networking program, where I felt at least the woman in charge tried to help develop their employees.).

The leaders spout a bunch of pro-innovation talk, but no incentive systems in place to motivate employees to actually put in the extra effort to try to innovate. There were slackers there who seemed to get away with wasting hours of time. Hard-workers would not be rewarded any differently than the slackers.

It was decent paying, but very boring and job tasks felt like a never-ending pointless grind. This would be a great job for someone who is okay with any job that pays. Don't expect any sort of fulfillment.

I had a mediocre experience with my team in particular. One other team had an enthusiastic (though openly ADHD) leader who seemed to treat his subordinates with consideration. I think my experience may have been different if I had a better team.

The bathrooms always smelled terrible. Work environment was very drab.

You will get very pigeon-holed (stuck to one specialty) if you stay with this company. They don't teach very many transferable skills (perhaps to trap their employees?).

Advice to Management

If you recruit new employees, treat them extremely well in the beginning, but then forget about them and treat them like you own them, of course they are going to leave eventually. Many of my entry-level colleagues had left within a year or two.

Get some hard-work incentive programs.

"Chaotic and Outdated"

Former Contractor - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Aon Hewitt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-Cafeteria is descent even though portions aren't reasonable
    -Coworkers are respectable people if they're in the same job title as you

Cons

-Don't know who your supervisor is
    -To much internal jargon to keep new employees out of the loop
    -Don't actually care about customers, just make pretenses like they do
    -Sink or swim mentality
    -Coaching system is terrible. Coach said they only listen to "5-6" minute calls. This makes absolutely no sense since it benefits slow performers and doesn't leave any room to catch inefficiencies or variance in performance. Constantly berated by coaches who will run to your Randstad supervisor because you said one word wrong or will make accusations of things you didn't do.
    -Virtual coaches for new employees?? What? They flew someone from a different state for a week to watch us but his advice was "Ask the support chat"
    -Virtual coach wouldn't even show us how to use computer system which set us up for failure
    -Always correcting other CSRs mistakes definitely not client focused!
    -Proprietary systems that are inefficient and slow. Who uses Lotus Notes still? TBA SUCKS!
    -Constant berating by older CSRs who stayed with the company because they have no education and feel like they have something to prove
    -Job titles are stupid: Client Services Client Manager, Domain Manager, how is that even relevant?? I asked one trainer what the structure was and they ignored me!
    -Everyone thinks they're your manager
    -Inefficient company that runs of the Peter Principle

Advice to Management

This place is terrible and does not encourage employee or customer satisfaction. Don't expect employees who could have been high performers when you do unequal judgmental assessments of performance. Most managers and coaches are condescending. The way employees talk over Lync is condescending. Customer satisfaction is marred because of lack of support from senior staff. There's no real supervision or structure in this place. TBA and other proprietary systems are inefficient. Clients would be ashamed if they saw the way new employees are trained and treated! Hewitt would be fired if a client worked in the environment contract and new CSRs have to work in and saw how participants are treated like a burden! Only the unintelligent will ever be successful in this organization for not finding jobs somewhere else. I feel bad for the company that's about to buy Hewitt from Aon because it's truly broken and in the stage of corporate death.

10. "Quality and Ethical Issues"

Former Employee - Client Management in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Client Management in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With the right manager, you could have a good work/life balance.

Cons

The company focuses more on quantity and not on quality. Some managers prefer to "hide" processes from a client to be able to make client think they are being managed within the agreed contract which borders ethic line.

Advice to Management

Be consistent in hiring processes and management of colleagues. You lose creditability when team observes one person being treated differently under same circumstances as another person.

Showing 270 of 2,758 reviews