Aon Hewitt Reviews | Glassdoor

2,568 reviews

Full-time Part-time

2,568 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Poor transport which directly effect your work life balance (in 152 reviews)

• Typical consulting with no work life balance (in 42 reviews)

"Benefits Operations Associate"

Former Employee - Benefits Operations Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Benefits Operations Administrator in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Telecommute available
    Good team work
    Immediate manager very approachable, understanding, open to ideas

Cons

No raises since 2009
    Cost of employer subsidized benefits are high
    Constantly changing workflow processes
    Micromanagement of daily workflow pushed down by upper management
    Minimal advancement

Advice to Management

Don't base an employees value to the company mostly on case production. Look at the different functions and skill levels required in a position that also contributes to an employees value within a department. The way the department is structured makes the daily casework feel like an assembly line rather than a benefit consulting firm.

2. "Mail Room Associate"

Former Employee - Mail Room Associate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Mail Room Associate in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

A very profesional place to work for. With great benefits package.

Cons

They didn't give raises to certain departments.

Advice to Management

N/A

3. "I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a 4years)"

Former Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Team Member in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work life balance is also great
    good health benefits, no pressure

Cons

time is a constraint sometimes you know

Advice to Management

good company to quickstart your career with,

"Overall Impressions"

Former Employee - Benefits Operations Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Operations Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and lots of flexibility to work remotely.

Cons

Offshore, dealing with internal politics, lots of red tape and no work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Help streamline/automate process. Do more things onshore (US) vs offshore. Focus more on the client than internal measures.

5. "RPO Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company, work from home options

Cons

Not good advancement opportunities in this area of the company

Advice to Management

N/A

"Aon Retiree Health Exchange"

Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Benefits Advisor in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The coffee was excellent. The cafeteria was convenient.
    I worked for Aon Retiree Health Exchange, enrolling retirees who were being transitioned off their employer group health plans and it was fraught with legal regulations. In the beginning they didn't even know how to do it we were not properly trained or maintained. As they realized a mistake they would punish us for it and act like we should have known when they didn't even know. Many legal regulations.

Cons

The supervisors and executives have very punitive style of management. After they used everyone to enroll 250,000 ATT retirees & after that job was accomplished, they began firing people for not complying with the new rigid quality. If you scored below 90% you could be fired. They could score you however they wanted to score you. They began hiring new employees at $3 less per hour so they began to just chose someone to fire. They never fired black people, it's true, I was there two years and I watched. Lots of psychological attacks by management. they fired me and denied me unemployment after I had enrolled close to 450 people for them making roughly $200,000 for them in my first year, maybe more. They are greedy. They told TX Workforce I was fired for misconduct, I appealed and won the hearing. Don't work for them unless you like to be in codependent relationships. The energy there is just oppressive if you are a sensitive person you will notice it right away. This place is a sweatshop. We made a fortune of money for them the first two years and they lowered our bonus package way below what was promised at hire. The upper management just took the profit for themselves and the way they honored their employees who made the money for them was to lower our bonus from $20 to $15 with thresholds that made it where we didn't get even the $15 for most of our enrollments and they were making about $425 or more or less per enrollment. Sweatshop.

Advice to Management

Be a real human being, grow a heart. Metrics are not everything. Improve your training. Change they way you score quality, use it as a tool to teach and improve rather than punish. Don't slam your fist on the table when concurring with your employees. Research psychological attack and stop using it to intimidate your employees. Stop lying to your employees or contradicting yourselves. Don't expect your employees to know what you don't know yourselves and then react punitively. I think it's called hypocrisy.

"Wonderful People, Low Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lincolnshire, IL

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and managers are expected to help their people grow.
    Good work environment, comfortable office setting, and ability to work from home for some positions.

Cons

Low pay, difficult to move from one department to another, and losing many very good and long tenured people.

Advice to Management

Make it easier to move departments. I witnessed several very qualified people who were turned down for department moves due to subjective matrices; most notably manager review being 0.1% less than required amount even though the employee was doing about 20% of the managers duties for team support. After securing other employment offers for positions were made, but it was too late and too little money.

8. "Medical Claims Advocate"

Former Employee - Medical Claims Advocate in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Advocate in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Aon Hewitt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours. cafeteria onsite. Coworkers. location. flex time availability.

Cons

Promised Overtime during the interview to compensate for the salary starting rate (they started me at the max per HR). Found out there is no overtime, if you work late, you come in late the next day, OT is not allowed.

Advice to Management

No problem with management.

9. "Domain Project Lead"

Former Employee - Domain Project Leader in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Domain Project Leader in The Woodlands, TX

Pros

Good Company to work with on a no liaison

Cons

No core values for employees

"It was meh."

Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Set-up Configuration Specialist in Atlanta, GA

Pros

They offer benefits. Not sure if the prices are any good relative to other offerings.

They have a gym you can get free membership to.

They are pretty good about letting you work 8 hours and 8 hours only. If you work any more than that, they are required by law to pay you overtime. But once you get promoted to Systems Analyst, they own you. You may be required to come in on the weekend without being paid overtime (though is is uncommon, it tends to happen every now and then several times a year).

They provide training on the job. I felt like anyone could do the job, even a bright high-schooler.

New employees get to go on the "Launch" program and get flown out to Chicago for a 3-day stay at their headquarters. I got to stay in a fancy, expensive hotel in the heart of Chicago. It was pretty awesome.

They had a pretty decent networking program for entry-level employees to get to know each other once a month.

There were really nice, genuinely good people, and then there were terrible people who were extremely unpleasant to be around. I guess you just have to pray that you get a good team.

Cons

They treat you really well in the beginning, flying you out to Chicago for a business "conference" (but I didn't really learn anything important, but the trip was very fun. Morale highly increased once being flown out to Chicago for a 3-day business trip). After a while, they start to take you for granted. I felt patronized often. They give you paper certificates for your service milestones. My first though was "What are we, in kindergarten?" It would have been better not to give me anything at all, honestly. The appreciation felt forced and insincere (since all managers are required or encouraged give their subordinates these pieces of paper).

Culture was very much a "cubicle farm" culture. Very stereo-typically corporate (except for the monthly Set-up Configuration Networking program, where I felt at least the woman in charge tried to help develop their employees.).

The leaders spout a bunch of pro-innovation talk, but no incentive systems in place to motivate employees to actually put in the extra effort to try to innovate. There were slackers there who seemed to get away with wasting hours of time. Hard-workers would not be rewarded any differently than the slackers.

It was decent paying, but very boring and job tasks felt like a never-ending pointless grind. This would be a great job for someone who is okay with any job that pays. Don't expect any sort of fulfillment.

I had a mediocre experience with my team in particular. One other team had an enthusiastic (though openly ADHD) leader who seemed to treat his subordinates with consideration. I think my experience may have been different if I had a better team.

The bathrooms always smelled terrible. Work environment was very drab.

You will get very pigeon-holed (stuck to one specialty) if you stay with this company. They don't teach very many transferable skills (perhaps to trap their employees?).

Advice to Management

If you recruit new employees, treat them extremely well in the beginning, but then forget about them and treat them like you own them, of course they are going to leave eventually. Many of my entry-level colleagues had left within a year or two.

Get some hard-work incentive programs.

Showing 2,568 of 2,699 reviews