Aon Reviews | Glassdoor

Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance not as good as other companies (in 64 reviews)

• Low wages, no work life balance, and can miss out on breaks (in 19 reviews)

1. "Cog"

I have been working at Aon full-time

Pros

Paycheck to pay my bills

Cons

No sharing of info. The ones that have been there for 25 years won't share to keep their value. Lots and lots of layers with VPs reporting to VPs.

Advice to Management

Recruiters hold too much power as gatekeepers for moves within. Expect the cuts to continue as really good team players get cut and you email someone and find out they just got terminated-rough. Come on have a heart.

2. "Benefits Operations Manager"

Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Former Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Lots of available training, good colleagues

Cons

Unreasonable expectations and lack of time to take the available training

Advice to Management

Stop preaching about your commitment to work/life balance. It's not true. Every project turns into a 'national emergency' for which they need you to step up for the team.

3. "Over worked"

Current Employee - Tech Client Manager/LSA
    Current Employee - Tech Client Manager/LSA

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Get to work from home

Cons

No work-life balance. The new company Alight, is really under staffed

Advice to Management

Quality is at all time low. Invest in onshore resources

4. "Benefit Specialist 1"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

More opportunities opening, performance based, benefits, solid work

Cons

Micro management, minimal bonuses, stipulations for job advancements

5. "Contract Talent Specialist"

Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist
    Current Contractor - Talent Acquisition Specialist

I have been working at Aon as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good Clients and a form brand name.

Cons

Executive leaders in talent are unprofessional and unorganized. Contractors are treated poorly even if you are doing well. They are not nice people to work for unless you are BFF with HR Managers. They do not consider the candidate experience and this is a toxic work environment. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Might want to discuss living the values. The CEO and executives should consider hiring professional HR management leaders that do not discriminate and set employee(team) for success.

6. "No No No Bad Idea"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Aon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Work from home

Cons

If you are fresh out of college and have no real world corporate experience, this is a great job start. Work there for three to five years and then look for a better salary, less stress, and more pay. If you are experienced and have other life and corporate experience, stay unemployed before saying yes to AON. I was warned from previous employees of AON now called Alight. I thought, "No way" it can't be true. I should have heed their warning as I am in this review. My manager comes into town. Not one time did the manager come over to our side of the building to greet us not knowing who they were or to start a relationship with their employees. Don't ask questions or management thinks you're stupid. Don't question procedures even though procedures are old, unproven, or so broad the procedure is worthless. AON or Alight is full of chiefs and not enough indians and the indians believe they are chiefs. This review comes from a person who has 15 years as an analyst with two companies.

Advice to Management

We don't believe you when you say you care. So called engagement is zero. Quit saying, "Um" every other word. It makes you sound insincere and unprofessional. Quit telling employees to, "Reach out" if you have any questions" then never available to actually ask questions. Support your team members in the trench against the client team that belittle them DAILY.

7. "Systems Configuration Specialist"

Pros

Laid back, hours are short

Cons

slow growth, no development, low pay

Advice to Management

The work itself is boring. Having virtual teams is inefficient if not managed properly. Pay your employees more and make sure they are developed properly.

"Management is horrible and the pay is even worse. Stay away from this turd!!!"

Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The firm offers a lot of flexibility for many employees, some benefits are pretty decent (i.e., 401(k) match, ESPP discount), the client teams are generally pretty knowledgeable and nice, and the clients are generally great.

Cons

I think there are three things that will impact your feelings about this firm: (1) your own manager, (2) the overall firm's offerings, and (3) the overall firm's management. For me, the manager of my group is horrendous and very much self-absorbed. While the manager and their direct reports make literally hundreds of thousands each every year each (literally), the rest of the team barely makes enough to pay their bills each month. In addition, the manager has essentially blocked anyone from being promoted for years. As an example, they have never once even had a conversation with me about how I could get promoted even though I've been doing the work of someone above me for many years now, am more than qualified, and get good performance reviews each year. Also, the company has job postings for positions higher than mine that require far less experience than I have. So, essentially you've got a small, elite group that hogs a huge % of the available pay in the group that keeps enriching itself and keeping everyone else beat down year after year. With respect to the firm's overall offerings, this really speaks to expensive health insurance offerings, outdated technology (think laptop computers that are 5+ years old), and unrealistic compensation budgets (2% every year for many years which includes any promotions, exam passers, etc. and by definition it means nearly everyone will get around 1% - less than inflation and taxes). With respect to the overall firm management, these people are clueless. They really seem to have no idea how the average person feels about them or the firm because they are so far removed from reality. They talk in platitudes about themselves and the great job they are doing, but the reality is they are incompetent and overpaid. They have run this company into the ground.

Advice to Management

I'd really do some serious soul searching. Is it really reasonable to expect a firm to attract and retain top notch talent if the best you can offer is 1% pay increases each year (for year after year after year.... which means that you are asking employees to work harder and hard each year just to earn less and less each year)? You state that you want to be the best professional services firm in the world, but 1% pay increases won't get you there. Let's just be honest about it. Your competitors have offered 3%+++ for years and you can't reasonably expect to compete by paying far below market salaries. Also, you have to offer people a reasonable career path. Who would stay at a company with no career path? Get a grip on reality!!

"The headache is not worth the pay."

Current Employee - Health and Benefits Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Health and Benefits Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ancillary benefits are great (15% salary ESPP, up to 7% 401(k) match). Travel is good. Flexible hours (work from home option is accessible based on team and manager). If you enjoy employee benefit administration, you will get exposure to, easily, 24 companies as clients.

Cons

Low compensation based on market. Really expensive health insurance. Culture is hit or miss. Old timers act like what we do is rocket science, when in reality it's brokering insurance. The young people are fun and bring in bring fresh ideas, of which management shoots down 75% of them (to be expected, seeing as Aon has the maneuverability equivalent to that of a cruise ship, but obnoxious because management also claims to be 'innovative'). Lots of nepotism. Many people who work here openly admit to personally knowing someone in senior leadership who got them their interview. The organization will spend peanuts on hardware that barely functions and then get upset that you're at tech support every other week getting your hardware fixed.

Advice to Management

Quit calling yourselves innovative when all you're doing is coming up with creative ways to sell other businesses' services. Or else, treat the innovative product ideas that your employees create with some actual respect. Also consider giving employees technology upgrade; it's in high likelihood that efficiency will increase by at least 25%.

"Sweatshop - One of the hardest employers to work for in The Woodlands, Tx"

Current Employee - Compensation in The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Compensation in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Aon full-time

Pros

Some good professionals in the mix.

Cons

Very low pay. Tons of overtime. No work/life balance. Expensive health Insurance. No salary increases in the last 3 years. Backstabbing culture.
    No place for advancement. There is no time though the year to set your goals and do periodic performance reviews. There is not real a PR for many.

Advice to Management

They do not listen or care. They are awful.

Showing 144 of 1,657 reviews