Aon "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

Aon Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Feb 14, 2020

3.6
Aon President, CEO, and Director Greg Case
Greg Case
1,413 Ratings
Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Strong On-boarding Program"

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Lincoln, IL

I worked at Aon full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Strong and dedicated on-boarding program, great for recent graduates - Competitive benefits package

Cons

- work-life balance could be improved

Aon2020-01-28
  2. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of remote work opportunities available which offers a nice work-life balance. Opportunities to work cross-functionally and gain industry knowledge with Health & Benefits in various facets.

Cons

Lack of formal training makes navigating through certain processes a challenge.

Aon2020-01-29
  3. "Great company"

Former Intern - Benefits Intern

I worked at Aon for less than a year

Pros

Great people, great workplace, awesome work-life balance

Cons

Pay and benefits could be better

Aon2020-01-14
  4. "Good Platform"

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager

I worked at Aon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good platform to step into insurance industry

Cons

Low salary, poor work-life balance

Aon2020-01-21
  5. "I enjoyed my time at Aon & they were good to me."

Former Employee - Senior ADM

I worked at Aon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, work/life balance, communication, people are genuinely nice and management treats their staff well.

Cons

You might have to divide your performance accomplishments with other staff members of the same level; otherwise you get penalized for looking competent while they run to staff and claim you are not a team player. I got penalized in my review for this.

Aon2019-12-27
  6. "Nothing exceptional"

Current Employee - Team Manager

I have been working at Aon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Flexibility and decent work life balance - Benefits and 401k match are good though 401k match has gone down in recent years. Benefit selections now have to be locked in for 2 years. - Pay is average compared to other companies in the space. Annual pay increases are minimal. - Colleagues are supportive and collaborate well across groups.

Cons

Training opportunities need to be improved. No orientation or guidance for managers. Most managers never received training to help them grow as effective leaders and it shows in the way they manage their teams. In recent years, the company has been focused on attracting young talent and offers up every available opportunity to younger professionals and freshers . In the process, long term employees are not given the same opportunities and their contributions and talent are not acknowledged or recognized adequately. Managers up the chain can be very prejudiced and don't care about creating relationships with people who are in their reporting structure nor do they take time to understand the issues and challenges of their team members.

Aon2019-11-13
  7. "It's balanced"

Current Contractor - IT Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aon for less than a year

Pros

Paid vacation - great vacation time Sick Days - they do roll over if not used Work/Life Balance - it's pretty good depending on the quarterly times

Cons

Environment - cliques It's all about who you know in this company to go anywhere.

Aon2019-10-14
  8. "Solid Employer"

Former Contractor - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aon for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salaries and work-life balance.

Cons

Some managers have little experience but move up because they have the right connections, not the right education so they are not very accomplished managers but in significant roles.

Aon2019-10-03

"Sorely lacking in company culture, but strong work/life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Aon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The group that I worked with at Aon saw the importance of work/life balance and allowed employees the flexibility needed to live full lives outside of the office. I had the ability to work remotely when needed and as a young person who enjoys traveling I very much valued that flexibility.

Cons

When I first joined Aon in NYC the office was dark, drab and lacking in collaborative work spaces. There was no break room, so employees were forced to eat lunch alone at their desks. This spoke volumes to me about company culture, or the lack thereof, and made it difficult to meet people and form professional relationships. Some of these issues were addressed when the move was made to 1 Liberty -- there are now kitchens, lunch tables, and collaborative spaces -- but still culture is lacking. The different Groups within Aon are isolated and siloed, making it difficult to form relationships beyond your immediate team and to explore other opportunities within the organization. This is further exacerbated by decisions which buoy the bottom-line and make Wall St. happy, all at the expense of hard-working employees. For example, in 2018 the decision was made to cancel all holiday parties in the New York office. While 2018 was a strong year financially for the company and the New York office in particular, the focus was placed on trimming budgets and cutting overhead costs at the expense of corporate culture. This results in high turnover, especially in the younger ranks where employees value culture, amenities, and benefits over salary and bonus incentives. Aon needs to recognize this disparity if it wants to continue to grow in the years ahead. Furthermore, the value placed on seniority and rampant corporate politics make it difficult to recognize and reward high achievers and give employees with long-tenure more power than their work product deserves. Again, this results in high turnover and employee dissatisfaction. The annual review process is ineffective and results in managers rating employees in a way that is not reflective of their performance, but instead conducive to a poorly communicated budget and a belief that you must "wait your turn" in order to get the salary or promotion you are seeking (regardless of whether you deserve it). My manager once said that while my work product warranted an outstanding rating, he could not give me the highest rating in my review because those ratings were only given when you were in line for a promotion. Such feedback was disheartening and ultimately supported my decision to leave the organization. While there are many good people within the organization, they need to be given opportunities to advance and voices at the table. Given Aon's size, it's important that the organization continue to seek feedback from its employees and take to heart the suggestions and critiques it receives.

Aon2019-09-30
  10. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - Manager - Projects

I worked at Aon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice people, good culture, good work life balance

Cons

Very corporate environment controlled from HQ

Aon2019-08-06

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 489 reviews