Apache Reviews | Glassdoor

Apache Reviews

Updated May 16, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
John J. Christmann, IV

Pros
  • Good people to work with and for (in 10 reviews)

• Great benefits, great location and work environment as long as you adapt to the Apache Core Values (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Location, work life balance can be better (in 8 reviews)

• Oil and Gas market is scary, makes it stressful (in 5 reviews)

"Apache employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

hands off management - no micro-managing

Cons

hands off management - has no clue what goes on down in the weeds or with what the troops are really doing

"Expenditure Accountant"

Former Employee - Regional Expenditure Accountant I in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Expenditure Accountant I in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure into different roles every 2 years, large company, participation in field inventory audits

Cons

Some "big corporate" procedures and feelings, despite being a 'minor' E&P company it has the feeling of a 'major'

"Senior Geologist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits were good. There are some really great people trying to do really good work when they get the support needed from management.

Cons

There seems to be a lack of vision from the top down. It was really exciting when they were aggressive and growing. They've been stagnant and getting smaller for the last year+. They're not really looking at anything new, so future drilling prospects are getting slim.

Advice to Management

Communicate. There was a big disconnect between different levels of management and between the managers themselves. It made the work harder to have to do it two or three times because the managers couldn't get on the same page.

5. "Department Assistant"

Current Employee - Department Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Department Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

Great New CEO & CFO. They care for the employees.

Cons

HR could use a reboot

6. "Boot camp"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn a ton, get LOTS of experience quickly.

Cons

Compensation is WELL below the market. Hardest workers are just building their resume so they can leave to go to a better paying company.

Advice to Management

You will lose your best talent quickly. Cost cutting is important now, but you need to keep your best people at least somewhat near the market's comparable compensation.

7. "Focus"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache (Less than a year)

Pros

Generally favorable benefits. Diverse industry exposure.

Cons

Production growth focus oversimplifies a very complicated industry.

Advice to Management

Change the incentives to reflect ROR, cash flow, reserve replacement and the decision making will improve.

8. "Oh, Apache."

Current Employee - Geologist in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Geologist in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will get lots of good experience in many aspects of the industry.
    Seemed like Apache at least attempted to be ethical in their business relationships, for part of the time I worked there.

Cons

The reason you get so much great experience is that you will do the work of 3 people.

The San Antonio office is the Golden Child of the company, they can do no wrong. Work in some other office and you will find out San Antonio speaks poorly about the other offices when they are about average themselves.

I routinely worked during vacation, not just phone calls to ask a quick question but I was expected to take my work on vacation with me.

Zero training. None.

Zero functional mentoring. They kind of have a lukewarm mentoring program, but every time I found someone and started establishing a mentoring relationship they would leave and I would be back to square one. Apache doesn't attempt to retain good employees, and they pay fairly low.

My manager was put into his management position when he apparently didn't want to do it and had no relevant experience. I can't fault him personally, he tried to make the best of it, but why he was ever asked to be a manager is beyond me. Despite that he hammered us into a good team, and the second he had a well-oiled and knowledgeable machine they closed the office and let most of us go.

Advice to Management

Don't make people managers who don't want the job.

Try actually training your employees.

Make an actual mentoring program.

Something happened when I worked at Apache. At first it was a good place to work. We did things the right way, we didn't push stuff under the rug, we treated people fairly. Sometime in the last year and a half the ethics started to slip. It became all about the stock price and nothing more. People quit caring about their jobs as a result. The G&A budget became such a priority that corners were cut ethically, we stopped worrying about making sure we were reporting things to regulatory agencies properly, and it cost more in the long run because that meant people who did still care had to go back and correct it. Morale went downhill. Get your ethics back in order.

9. "Sr. Unix system administrator"

Former Employee - Senior UNIX Administrator in Katy, TX
    Former Employee - Senior UNIX Administrator in Katy, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

All employee has own office, good training policy for working IT department and paid good with good benefit with vacation, 401K, medical insurance.

Cons

Worked over night and manager or team lead only care you done the job or not. Manager treat employee not equally.

Advice to Management

Leadership need to treat all the same and equally. Encurage and positive attitude.

10. "Started out great, ended poorly due to management changes"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tulsa, OK

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great place for aggressive, energetic works that like to crank out the work. Plenty of assets to work with and mostly skilled people in positions that matter.

Cons

The upper management turned over while I was there losing some of the key people that made the company a real good company.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting suck ups and folks that the rank and file do not respect.

"Accountant leaving on good terms but sad about all the changes."

Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Revenue Accountant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule: every Friday is a half-day, work 9 hrs M-Thurs.
    401K and Pension plan
    3 weeks vacation

Cons

Micro-managing (as of late)
    Compensation is sub par for the industry
    Lack of communication

Advice to Management

Recent changes in accounting created dreary and micro-managing work enviroment. What use to be a positive, fun, and relaxed atmosphere is now quiet, tense, and unsettling. Supervisors were 'rotated' and prior supervisors who knew every answer to a question and were admired for their openness and honesty have been replaced with supervisors who have little to no experience with our particular department and micro-manage on a daily basis. Additionally, the divesting is creating an environment of uncertainty which leads to talented employees looking elsewhere for growth and stability opportunities. Stop "messing up a good thing". Rotating supervisors and managers not only leaves employees unsure about their future, but it creates chaos and uncertainty. Many have left as a result of this change due to the new supervisors micro-managing and communication styles (or lack thereof). I planned to retire at Apache and am now leaving because of the aforementioned concerns.