Apache Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Location, work life balance can be better (in 8 reviews)

• Oil and Gas market is scary, makes it stressful (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fresh graduate 2014"

Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)
    Current Employee - Reservoir Engineer in Cairo (Egypt)

I have been working at Apache (Less than a year)

Pros

Experience and future to be international petroleum engineer

Cons

Out of time for family , friends and personal activities

Advice to Management

One team as family , grow everyday

2. "Great Employer"

Pros

Great work life balance, great environment to learn.

Cons

Need to focus on more direct training and implement a rotation for students

Advice to Management

Utilize students more, trust with more meaningful work

3. "Summer Engineering Student"

Pros

Great opportunities for EIT positions

Cons

Summer engineering experience can include a lot of field labour work/odd jobs.

"Apache: Demanding and Rewarding."

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

Pros

Apache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry.
    Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

Cons

The main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope.
    This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile).
    I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments.
    Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

"Apache is on the right track."

Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Accountant in Houston, TX

Pros

It offers a great work and life balance. It is fairly easy to move to positions in other departments. Bureacracy is kept in minimum. Apache is growing fast and creating great opportunities for all of us. At the same time, management is very conservative and keeps the leverage at the managable level.
    Senior management is doing a fairly good job communicating with lower ranks of the company.

Cons

Also, Apache needs to make a change in their stationary supplies. I need to contact my supervisor every time I need supplies. We need better interaction between different accounting groups. Also, almost no training is offered at the headquarters.

Advice to Management

Organize team work events to bring people from different departments together and increase communication between groups.

"Overall great place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

Hard working employees, opportunities to excel

Cons

compensation relative to other O&G firms

Advice to Management

stricter requirements for employee reviews and feedback

"Good place to work. Great people."

Current Employee - Administrative in South Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative in South Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Great holiday party!

Cons

Onboarding new employees / training

"Busy and challenging"

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hands-on experience, eye-opener, learnt lots of things

Cons

Heavy workload, constant pressure, no work-life balance, company should hire more people

Advice to Management

Expected more onboarding employee training, would like more social events in order to boost work morale

"I'll be here at least four more years..."

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

There is plenty of work to do. Very laid back office environment; private offices are even given to those in positions that wouldn't normally have one. If your like me and enjoy learning different aspects of the business, your encouraged to learn and many are willing to teach. Benefits are some of the best in the industry. Most managers are competent and approachable. My manager in particular is great, this person encourages us to have a proper work-life balance, doesn't micro manage (as long as we get our work done), will fight for us, and etc.

I like Apache, I feel the direction they are headed in is the right way to go even though the environment isn't in their favor right now. I have a personal goal of being in a certain position within four years, but they haven't won me over enough to stay if I haven't reached it by that time.

Cons

Similar to what another review pointed out, in some areas a few people do all the work while others share the rewards, I would say 50/50 split. I can easily get a higher salary and bonus elsewhere, but the benefits balance this to some degree... Each region/area and tenured employee has their own way of doing things-because some managers don't have a backbone- which makes having a structured work environment difficult.

I know employees that have should be promoted only to be overlooked by people brought in because they look better on paper and in person. Some managers are blinded by favoritism: college, interests and etc. One was such a staunch supporter of their Alma Mater that they would only interview and hire individuals from that university...

My initial training was pretty bad... I don't understand why people are coupled with those that are poor teachers and/or obviously don't care to train.

Advice to Management

Some of the "old heads" need to go or be set straight, they do nothing for this company except push away talented employees as they wait for retirement; they aren't willing to learn proper procedures and etc, some managers need to build the courage to address this...

Compensation needs to be raised to retain and compete with other firms. Managers need to do a better job in vetting employees, often at times people are onboarded because they look good on paper and in person, but their work says otherwise.

To touch on the 50/50 again... I had applied to positions at APA for quite some time before I was was brought on, which is understandable because I had an average resume. But fast forward to now, even with my limited experience with the company, I know more and perform better than most employees at the same level and higher... If you want to keep people like myself around, don't overlook your current employee pool for promotions...

Again, I like APA, but you haven't shown me enough to stay if another opportunity comes by. I've seen people overlooked for promotions, the only loyalty I've seen is to those that have been with the company for quite some time, even the poor performers, which is the issue.

"Good Clompany to work for"

Former Employee - Senior Staff Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Reservoir Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Apache full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands off management, great place to work if you are creative and proactive

Cons

Had seem to loose perspective at the Global scale and retrenched to what they know better, ie Lower 48.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job in the US, need to rethink where they would like to be Internationally