Apartments.com Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great training program"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am new to apts.com but I have been impressed with their training program. They spend 5 weeks (and a great deal of money) showing you how to do your job. The benefits are amazing. The incentives are unbelievable too. While I was in training, they gave away a $100,000 Tesla to one of the sales people in the room. I like the freedom of setting your own schedule.

There are also tons of career opportunities here. If you don't like Apts.com sales, you could possibly transition to CoStar research or LoopNet info. It's a huge company and they're growing quickly. I'm glad I got in when I did because the future seems bright.

Cons

Working on commission is always nerve wracking. That's the only con I have encountered so far. I understand why sales people are paid on commission but it's scary not knowing what your income will be from month to month.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great training. It has prepared me to go out and do my job. I have never seen another company that invests so much in its employees.

"title"

I have been working at Apartments.com full-time

Pros

They have a nice budget.

Cons

It does not matter what cons are noted here.

"Acquisition by CoStar Killed a Good Thing"

I worked at Apartments.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Apartments.com as a photographer was one of the best jobs I ever had. I traveled, did work I enjoyed immensely, was on track for advancement, and had great relationships with co-workers and supervisors.

Cons

D. Burke joined as the new CEO and promptly enriched himself by promptly selling the company to CoStar, who turned it into a low-wage kiddie job with Big Brother as the supervisor. After not hearing from my new supervisor for a month, I knew something was up. My position was taken from me in a wave of layoffs and given to someone half my age willing to work longer hours for less money. Ageism was apparent as everyone I knew over the age of 40 was fired and their positions were given to 22 year olds. I was terminated by a supervisor half my age in a phone call, offered one month's pay as severance and forced to sign a non-compete, non-disclosure form to receive it. Within four months, everyone I used to work with at Apartments.com either resigned in disgust at what an oppressive job atmosphere it had become, or was fired in another round of layoffs. They hired expensive celebrities to pose for their advertising while treating employees like disposable cogs.

Advice to Management

CoStar, you took a great company and turned it into incompetent trash. Your photographers have no talent and you didn't even bother to ask Apartments pros how to better train them. You took a job I loved from me and fired all my friends. I will never have anything good to say about you.

"Apartments.com ruined After55"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved my clients. Senior living companies are the best.

Cons

When apartments.com bought After55, they fired all personnel. We had been assured our jobs would be safe. Instead, it was a wholesale sacking across the United States. Since then, all of our much-loved clients have quit and with good reason. I still get phone calls daily about how awful they are to work with. Be warned, you do not want to work for this company.

"Big Corporation Sucks You Dry"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits without question

Cons

Work becomes your life. The stress level is extreme. They call behind you-in search of a 10 score for Apts.com as a whole but base part of your pay on that score. Big brother is watching you always.

Advice to Management

Back off and trust the professional sales people you have. Give them support, don’t micro manage.

"Apartments.com"

I worked at Apartments.com full-time

Pros

Great coworkers - made a couple life long friends.

Cons

Acquisition by Costar killed the company. Costar brought in horrible dated systems and even worse management.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter - they won't listen.

"Sales"

I worked at Apartments.com full-time

Pros

Great benefits. This could be a good job for someone right out of college since recent grads are unaware of how the job force should be.

Cons

Toxic environment, unrealistic quota, unreasonable prospects, micro managers. Big brother is always watching. Very controlling and not much growth opportunity. If you have any sales experience, look elsewhere. Worst job and most stressful I have ever had.

"Look Elsewhere, Toxic, sales managers show extreme prejudice"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Apartments.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid product offering, superior value proposition over the competition. What is disappointing, you will be working in an industry that for the most part doesn't care about a better value proposition, specifically property managers at the site level. They are just too concerned about being friends with apartment guide and are not educated enough to truly understand why Apartments.com is better for their business and paycheck.

Cons

Apartments.com's new owners have done wonders to improve its product. But they have done everything to destroy its culture of positive reinforcement for its employees. It is quite sad to see the culture of negativity and title fixated posturing that costar has injected into Apartments.com. Costar likes to say how much it cares about its employees, but it couldn't be further from the truth. The only thing costar cares about is numbers at any cost- whether it's good business or not. Costar is an awful company that continually contradicts its messaging to its employees, changes pay plans, makes them so difficult you just can't understand how you're going to get paid or completely reneges on a pay structure altogether. If you have any sense of individualism and self-worth you will not do well this company. But if you are willing to be a yes-man, sell your soul and stab people in the back to keep your job then you will fit right in.

Advice to Management

What's the point, it's been my experience that you totally do the opposite of what feedback you get from your employees. It is quite interesting that you do eventually take your employees advice only after you have been burned by the mistakes from ignoring said advice. The biggest cancer you have is the culture of negativity that promotes animosity amongst managers and salespeople. Apartments.com operates in an industry that is relationship driven first, however you push a process of numbers driven first. Those two processes are at odds with each other. If you put the employee first, they will take care of the customer and that will take care of the profits. This is not 1986, you just cannot treat people like you do and expect to have a stable employee base. I can only imagine the horrific amount of turnover you actually have organisation wide. I know for a fact you have lost and fired strong people that would have been your best person for their position if you would have just given them time to fix the problems you created.

"Get it together."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

The small work teams allow for one-on-one training. Free snacks in the break room.

Cons

Corporate downsizing. Relocation of jobs. Disconnect between upper management and employees.

Advice to Management

Management should take greater consideration to its employees. There seems to be a significant disconnect between upper management and those carrying out the daily business duties.

"Not The Company It Was"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Have to write something so, they had snacks and the location downtown was nice and benefits were comparable to what we had at Classified Ventures.

Cons

Since CoStar bought the company it has been down hill. They took what was once a great place to work where people cared about our product, customers and employees to an atmosphere of who cares...I'm only here for a paycheck. They continue to lay off all the original apartments.com staff so nobody will be left that remember how great we were. The CEO is an egotistical little man that we nicknamed "Napoleon". Its his way or the highway who has surrounded himself with "yes" men/women. So Mr. Napoleon spend 100 million dollars on advertising but your still just a little man with deep pockets.

Advice to Management

There is no management just one man who makes all the decisions. You will be successful, but its because of what the people before you built not because of your efforts. Even that can only last so long though true colors have a way of coming forward.