Aperio Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Aperio Technologies CEO David Schlotterbeck
David Schlotterbeck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Was great. Then not so much."

Former Employee - Applications Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Applications Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation, known name in the field, (mostly) smart people

Cons

Management says they listens but clearly doesn't; takes forever to get anything done, bureaucracy, bureaucracy, bureaucracy.

Advice to Management

Come down to the gutter and listen to the people doing the work. They have a lot to say and a lot of it is really, really useful.

2. "Eh Company"

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time

Pros

Get to travel throughout the region. Even customers in Asian countries speak English.
    Left to manage own schedule.

Cons

Expenses are paid monthly! Hard to manage 80%-90% travel thru region on $5k monthly limit.
    1 person for Service, Technical Support, and Sales Support.
    No chance for advancement/promotion.

Advice to Management

Treat International Employees the same as Domestic. Although Leica bought Aperio, those changes have been made now.

3. "Not a bad place to work"

Pros

Friendly, teamwork and good work ethic

Cons

Lots of company events that didn't include family.

4. "Great company until they were bought out"

Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Applications Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined Aperio when my mother was dying of cancer. They were understanding enough to leave me at home and by her bed side until she died.

The work was challenging but fun and the management was understanding of employee needs. They made sure that we had fun even as we worked long hours and many of us traveled 50% or more (I was closer to 75%).

Cons

My biggest complaint is that I was laid off when Aperio was bought out by Leica Biosystems. If I had not been laid off I would still be happily working for Aperio.

Advice to Management

Be more open and inclusive when planning major policy shifts. Use a model that lets everyone feel that they were a part of the process rather than that they received a command from on high.

5. "The "Lazy A Ranch""

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation is fair. The hardware technology is the industry leader. Some very bright engineers producing the scanning, imaging, and hardware technology.

Cons

The user interface and image cataloging software is weak and does not scale in large production environments. Customer complaints and bugs are largely ignored unless the customer has the ear of senior/executive management and raises enough of a stink. There has been no significant improvement in the management software in several years. There was a lot of talk about the "Voice of the customer" in recent months but it was just talk.
    Very little knowledge sharing between departments, inter-departmental communication is extremely poor. QA is non-existent.
    The CEO listed here on Glassdoor left the company after the company was purchased by Leica Biosystems in 2013. The business unit manager has made little impact on the pathology imaging business unit. Very little changed since the Leica Biosystems purchase of the company.

Park your career for a stay at the "Lazy A"

Advice to Management

Clear out some of the old software developers and hire some younger developers that can bring the software into the 21st century.

6. "I enjoyed my time at Aperio! Great hardworking people. Only drag was once they got bought by Danaher, things way changed"

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits were good and I loved the relaxed atmosphere, fun company functions helped people blow off steam and relax.

Cons

Saw some pretty bad layoff moves that saddened me... and no, I'm not talking about my own layoff. There were attempts at keeping the "door open" communication policy going but...some stunts pulled made no one feel safe to talk openly about stuff.

"Terrible Experience"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High/competitive pay. Free gym. Learned new things.

Cons

Work with corporate culture that does not care about individuals. No constructive criticsm. They treat every single employee as expendeble with no appreciation and value. For example, you will be fired or laid off at the drop of the hat for arbitrary reasons and they spend an enormous amount of money training and re-training people they hire and fire. It is like a hobby for upper management and HR to give them something to do. Seriously. In addition, when they know they are going to lay you off they will squeeze all the work out of you and have security there to escort you out when just the day before you were a "highly valued" employee who needed to stay late. They literally laid off dozens of high quality people and had security to watch them out in the parking lot for no good reason. These are people that just closed big business deals for them, worked late, and were good people. Even someone with cancer that was in the middle of treatment. Very very humiliating and disrespectful to the people they did it to and bad for morale for those that were not laid off. In addition, the HR were laughing in the meeting in which they were laying people off. Gross dispay of human behavior. Sickening really. They also give HR nice, real offices and much more highly qualified people with doctorates, masters and Phds who do all of the substantive work at the company cubicles! Literally! I figured out that this is because they need HR to do their dirty work for them - and need to make them feel important. I have never in my life worked at a company that saw hiring and firing as one of their main duties to do on a daily basis. Very bizarre. I am not saying there never need to be lay offs or firing, I am saying that the way this company handles it is very telling as to how they see all employees - as completely expendable and unappreciated as workers and as human beings - even managers. I think that one will succeed at this company if they are a sociopath.

Advice to Management

Stop seeing workers as expendable and stop seeing hiring and firing as your hobby.

8. "Really enjoyed working here"

I worked at Aperio Technologies (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Opportunity to work with small team of smart people.
    -Exciting field to be in.
    -Great location in Vista, CA.

Cons

-Just bought out.
    -Major changes on the way.
    -Hardware development seems to have stalled.
    -Some of the brightest minds are packing up and leaving.

Advice to Management

Value your talent!

9. "A career stopper"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Aperio Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology, great product, and an industry leader.

Cons

High turnover, high rate of lay offs, and exceptionally poor executive "C" suite management.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect.

10. "Amazing summer internship experience"

Current Intern - Repository Intern in Vista, CA
    Current Intern - Repository Intern in Vista, CA

I have been working at Aperio Technologies as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

So much I got to learn, great culture, inspiring values & the chance to "Speak up" whenever you feel appropriate

Cons

No downsides, only upsides working at Aperio. Great company to work at peacefully & happily