Apex Clearing Reviews | Glassdoor

William Capuzzi

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great (and constantly improving) culture.
    True desire to provide excellent service.
    Great work life balance.
    Team environment.
    Amazing offices/space.

Cons

All growing companies experience a lot of change and we are not an exception to that. That being said, the future is bright and change teaches lessons. Be adaptable.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open and honest with your employees; it really goes a long way.

Nov 7, 2016 – CEO

Thanks, I appreciate the positive feedback. We’re definitely growing and you're right – we've definitely experienced a lot of change. We still have lots left to do, but agree we're making some... More

2. "Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Senior SEiT in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior SEiT in Portland, OR

I worked at Apex Clearing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has the potential to have a disproportionate, positive, impact upon anyone in the stock market. The rank and file personnel are fairly good at what they do, most are very colabertive.

Cons

Silo-ed, seems to be a bit of a disconnect between teams and each service/project seems to forget about the ecosystem in which it lives. There seems to be a lot of talk on certain subjects not sure why, Sr. Management says they want what the rank and file want. I could be wrong but that was my observation.

Advice to Management

Fix the trust gap or fix your messaging. If the same negative topic comes up 5 or more times in six months then there is a perception that the problem exists. Shooting the messenger is usually considered bad form, you may not get messages.

Jul 23, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for giving us feedback on your time at Apex. It's good to know that you worked with some talented and collaborative teammates. I am sorry, however, that you felt a lack of trust from... More

"Looks like my previous posts are getting deleted . . .Apex is a sub optimal company to work for"

Pros

If you have a family member, the sky is the limit on advancement. Competence is optional;bloodline required.

Cons

Not part of the clique or have a relative there? Leave immediately or as soon as you can.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the nepotism and DEFINITELY get rid of all the ex-Penson employees . . . Those clowns still linger.

I am willing to bet if you do get rid of the ex-Penson folk, they will NOT be able to find a job anywhere else . . .Unless of course they have a relative at the new place :).

Feb 28, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Sorry that you feel you didn’t fit in with the culture at Apex and had the perception that there was a difficult path to advancing within the company. I wish you... More

4. "Very good, not great in Portland."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Apex Clearing full-time

Pros

Very clean technical environment compared to most large companies and a lot of financial services firms. An engineer can certainly get up to speed quickly here. Free Snack-packs and string cheese in the refrigerator. Very social environment. Good for a junior dev, but a senior developer will stagnate here with limited opportunities for professional growth as an individual contributor.

Cons

The Portland office is high-density and right next to a freight train passing 2-3 times per hour. You get used to it, but it's always there. The area outside the office is not safe at night due to the camping situation.

Office hours are typically 8-6.

Company culture is rather bland from the perspective of a software developer, but that's more an issue with financial services/fintech in general.

The company is not very supportive of women working in technology or minorities, despite HR attempts to say otherwise. It's white guys all the way up.

Middle management is more often a barrier than an enabler.

Very odd symbiotic relationship with parent company Peak6.

Tech leadership is highly political and translucent. In some ways they're lost, with two (three?) re-orgs in the past two years, and a complete restructuring four years ago. Current CEO (Capuzzi), however, is a promising leader and will probably have a good impact.

Advice to Management

Develop management capabilities in soft skill areas like mentoring and coaching.

Prioritize developer experience.

Outsource only if necessary, not when convenient--sending work to a disinterested parent company is not aligning for growth.

Don't be too quick to assume you understand the scope of your core competencies.

Jan 19, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Obviously, it’s not great to hear that you’re not very satisfied with the culture or working environment. I’m sure some of that is because we’re growing a lot and... More

5. "New name, same game"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Apex Clearing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule and free snacks.

Cons

This place used to be Penson, same backstabbing and political games. Not enough money and of course they protect bad management.

Advice to Management

If you wish to retain talent, you must make EVERYONE ACCOUNTABLE for thier actions. Stop promoting friends and family.

Oct 10, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear you didn’t have the best experience in your short time at Apex. I do agree with you that success starts from within, especially with accountability. As I’m sure you... More

"Please take advice"

Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Apex Clearing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, free beverages, holiday party at the W, decent healthcare, PTO, ease of taking time off, laid back cultures, new CEO, talented upper management.

Cons

Certain unqualified low to mid level management. Certain managers engagement and approach to their personnel is questionable. Some are too busy doing all the project level work, complex tasks, and meetings. How each employee perceives this will vary but because they spend less time delegating and engaging employees they don't have a pulse on their direct reports, their motivations, and ambitions. After a year of this type of discourse combined with menial work load I decided to leave.

The firm's traditional performance review/rating system was scrapped a year ago and was never replaced (yet). Managers were left without a template and were free to determine them. When asked to provide a self assessment and set the next years objectives, I did so and was told my objectives were too aggressive and was told to scrub them down. When questioning my managers suggestion that I add the objective of completing corporate online learning courses and listening to them reason was when I had my epiphany at Apex and exit sign in mind. E-learning translates to organizational learning but is not necessarily tied and a direct correlation to the job functions one performs. If anyone smart enough realizes pay increases are tied to these objectives and performance on them, would realize that is not acceptable. I could never accept someone to insult my intelligence and accept that kind of framework for me. Performance reviews are not taken very seriously and one on ones are non existent.

Advice to Management

Make every manager greet their employees like CEO Bill Capuzzi does walking around the office. Actively listen to your employees, but more importantly, objectively consider and take into action some of the feedback. There's a difference between leadership, management, and just someone who has a title. Having a title doesn't necessarily make you a manager. I was hired as new talent and slipped through your hands. If you want to attract and retain talent particularly new personnel you need to assess your management team and/or develop some of them to raise the bar. At minimum develop and implement some management policies around employee engagement so that all managers are required to follow those standards.

I understand the decentralized decision making process at Apex, however, that should not be an excuse or license to let some individuals do what they want without recourse. I made my points known while employed without rocking the boat but had to make my vote of no confidence shown with my resignation. Some departments are fine because they have awesome and experienced management with regard for their direct reports which shows. Others well you get the point. Inconsistency provides variable employee experience. If Apex clearly defines employee meetings, their purpose, scope, and frequency than they can only improve what they already have.

Let me be clear Apex is not a bad company. It certainly has some strengths and can drive home on its newer strategic goals. At the end of the day as a mid career professional, employers like employees have one chance to make an impression which sticks. Life is short and either people will stick around or not.

Sep 15, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for taking the time to give feedback and I really appreciate your honesty. I’m sorry to hear you didn’t have a good experience at Apex. The firm is growing and with that growth comes some... More

7. "Good experience"

Pros

High energy, exciting firm to be a part of. Love the direction it's heading. Good transparency and communication by management.

Cons

Lots of new faces. Some anxiety about whether I fit in going forward. People are unsure as to Peak6 commitment to clearing business.

Advice to Management

Need to understand salary ranges

8. "Growing Fast, Great Culture, Faced Paced Environment"

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Apex Clearing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many experts, with many people who want you to learn and grow with the organization.

Cons

Working on getting brand out and still in early stages of brand recognition.

"good company"

I have been working at Apex Clearing full-time

Pros

great innovating company for the brokerage industry.

Cons

career paths are not well defined but working on it.

10. "Overall a really good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

Management seems to go to great efforts to be transparent. The office is pretty cool. Probably like anyplace else - the work is what you make of it. I find myself challenged. I learn new things just about every day. The pay is pretty decent and they are flexible with the schedules. Not a bunch of drama or politics. Overall, probably the best job I've had.

Cons

The work can be hard. The business is really complex and most of the training is OJT. To be fair, I dont think you can teach this stuff in a classroom but the learning curve is steep. They expect alot out of you. The hours are not particularly long but you work hard.

Advice to Management

Nothing to address to management as a whole. Keep doing what you are doing