Apex Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Apex Systems Co-Founder Jeff Veatch
Jeff Veatch

Pros
  • Culture - Apex embodies the work hard/play hard mentality (in 14 reviews)

• Great job, work-life balance is average (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • On that contract I almost didn't see the Account Manager which surprised me when comparing to previous experiences I had with the same Company (in 28 reviews)

• Health insurance benefits are expensive but I guess it's a good thing that they at least offer it (in 22 reviews)

1. "Great place to work, can improve"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great people. In this industry you have to have thick skin and the people and internal culture is what keeps you going. Positive,work hard play hard environment that was contagious. Local and District leadership was really strong, really take time to understand everyone and communicate really well. They encourage you do things the right way with integrity, which is rare in the staffing industry. Commission structure is pretty strong, once you get established you can really make a great living.

Cons

No career track available without relocation. Sr Leadership above branch level are strategically smart but expectations are insane and in turn makes you feel like another number. There are about 25 people across the country that absolutely kill it and Sr Leadership holds everyone to those standards across the board. You basically have to make the President's Club trip or be prepared to have a negative year end review (if you're at Sr. level production employee). There really isn't much micro management, but you get blasted with numbers at every turn, and it's 100% what have you done for me lately company.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration other variables into employee performance outside of just what is on spread reports. Listen to local leadership, take their input seriously.

2. "Waste of time"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I received the opportunity to learn more about the IT field

Cons

At the Birmingham branch the expectations of a new hire producing the same numbers as someone that has been with the company for a couple years is rather unrealistic.
    Apex is all about money and numbers, I think that is it's true flaw. I understand that money is what keeps apex in business - but their employees are treated in such a way that is not healthy for them. One co-worker was so stressed due to the pressure they were under that they broke out in hives, that is just one example out of many I could give.

The main reason why I left was the compensation structure - 2% until hitting two bonuses is rather ridiculous and sad. I loved staffing and finding the right person for the job I was recruiting on. If there had been some changes, say for example: compensation increase and more support from upper management, less back stabbing at the Birmingham office, and a more team environment, I would have considered staying.

At the end of the day, apex did not build/make an environment that is healthy to work in.

Advice to Management

Change management style- actually encourage your employees. Change the commission structure, make the recruiters and account manager on more even field.

3. "Unlimited Opportunity!"

Current Employee - National Account Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - National Account Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Uncapped commission. Opportunity to take your career in many directions. Great work/life balance. Work hard play hard.

Cons

Low base salary, so you need to work to bring in commission. Not a place to just come and collect a paycheck. If you don't want to work you won't make money. But if you put in the effort you can be incredibly successful.

Advice to Management

Great culture and great opportunity for individuals to create their own success! Continue advancing training efforts not only for the entry level employees, but for management as well.

5. "Apex is a great employer!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roanoke, VA

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very supportive and responsive employer!

Cons

The health Insurance plans are expensive!

Advice to Management

Use your massive employee numbers to leverage better deals and prices for our health benefits!

6. "Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Apex Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and culture. Everyone they hire is very personable and easy to get along with.

Cons

Recruiting can be very unpredictable... You have to work hard each day to get people on the phones. Must not take rejection personally!

Advice to Management

Great management.

7. "If your good at what you do, stay away from Apex"

Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Spartanburg, SC
    Current Employee - Desktop Support Technician in Spartanburg, SC

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I can't think of anything good about Apex Systems other than I won't be working for them much longer.

Cons

No benefits, the Agents will act friendly, lie, and tell you whatever they think you want to hear to get you to work for practically nothing. I was a six months contract to hire. I have been with them for almost a year and all I have received for my hard work is a one dollar raise and I had to threatening to quit just to get that. I have a great work ethic, I do everything that is expected of me, I am overqualified, and I am not making even half of what I would be making if I was not contracting for Apex.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you and when your agents are caught misleading people, telling flat out lies, and saying whatever they have to to get candidates to take jobs or assignments they should be fired. I'm surprised the government hasn't shut this operation down, what you are doing should be illegal and I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

8. "Great company"

Current Employee - Account Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Account Support Specialist in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Support to grow and move within the company, young and fun work environment that stresses rewards for hard work, welcoming employees.

Cons

equality between back office roles vs. sales/delivery

Advice to Management

N/A

9. "Great Company to Work For!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Apex Systems part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees are welcoming to newcomers.
    Allowed to continually grow and learn.

Cons

Can't think of any at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation, and the amount of work you put in will be reflected on your paycheck. Many opportunities to learn about a growing industry.

Cons

If you are expecting an up front explanation of the expectations and requirements you will be held to then you are looking in the wrong place. They were not upfront about the training process during my interview. You will be compensated for working the hours of 8-5 while being expected to work more of a 7-7. If you enjoy looking for a place that will help you grow and learn then look elsewhere. "Leadership" does a minuscule amount of leading and an extraordinary amount of micromanagement and number driving.

Advice to Management

Quit worrying so much about the numbers, they look great. Worry more about the people who make them great.

11. "Apex doesn't treat employees well the only upside is company that hired contractors"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers and client company

Cons

Shady salesman account managers only want to get bodies in. Any issues fall on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

Contractors discuss what a terrible person the Director totally useless