Apex Systems Technical Recruiter Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Apex Systems Co-Founder Jeff Veatch
Jeff Veatch

Pros
Cons
  • Luckily if you email them, and notify your account manager they will pull strings to get you paid on time (in 28 reviews)

• Health insurance benefits are expensive but I guess it's a good thing that they at least offer it (in 22 reviews)

"Great place to work, can improve"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Really great people. In this industry you have to have thick skin and the people and internal culture is what keeps you going. Positive,work hard play hard environment that was contagious. Local and District leadership was really strong, really take time to understand everyone and communicate really well. They encourage you do things the right way with integrity, which is rare in the staffing industry. Commission structure is pretty strong, once you get established you can really make a great living.

Cons

No career track available without relocation. Sr Leadership above branch level are strategically smart but expectations are insane and in turn makes you feel like another number. There are about 25 people across the country that absolutely kill it and Sr Leadership holds everyone to those standards across the board. You basically have to make the President's Club trip or be prepared to have a negative year end review (if you're at Sr. level production employee). There really isn't much micro management, but you get blasted with numbers at every turn, and it's 100% what have you done for me lately company.

Advice to Management

Take into consideration other variables into employee performance outside of just what is on spread reports. Listen to local leadership, take their input seriously.

2. "Meh"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Chicago, IL

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to make lots of money and great job for someone right out of college.

Cons

Very cliquish and old school corporate mentality I didn't feel like i was part of the team. Management turned a blind eye when reqs or subs were taken by a "lead" recruiter because they were able to work reqs around the system had good relationships with AM's. That makes recruiters not want to work on reqs or not be motivated to work on old reqs. Heavy micro management and some leadership shouldn't be in management. They're the reason why there is heavy turn over.

"Waste of time"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I received the opportunity to learn more about the IT field

Cons

At the Birmingham branch the expectations of a new hire producing the same numbers as someone that has been with the company for a couple years is rather unrealistic.
    Apex is all about money and numbers, I think that is it's true flaw. I understand that money is what keeps apex in business - but their employees are treated in such a way that is not healthy for them. One co-worker was so stressed due to the pressure they were under that they broke out in hives, that is just one example out of many I could give.

The main reason why I left was the compensation structure - 2% until hitting two bonuses is rather ridiculous and sad. I loved staffing and finding the right person for the job I was recruiting on. If there had been some changes, say for example: compensation increase and more support from upper management, less back stabbing at the Birmingham office, and a more team environment, I would have considered staying.

At the end of the day, apex did not build/make an environment that is healthy to work in.

Advice to Management

Change management style- actually encourage your employees. Change the commission structure, make the recruiters and account manager on more even field.

5. "Technical Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Portland, OR

I have been working at Apex Systems (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and culture. Everyone they hire is very personable and easy to get along with.

Cons

Recruiting can be very unpredictable... You have to work hard each day to get people on the phones. Must not take rejection personally!

Advice to Management

Great management.

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Benefits are good, culture is great and team-building is a focus. You can tell they care about their employees and actively work to improve quality of life for everyone in the office.

Cons

I have no negatives for this company. Unless you don't like your job responsibilities, I don't think there's anything wrong with the company. And if you do dislike your job responsibilities, it's not the company's fault in the first place :)

Advice to Management

Keep doing you!

"Great stepping stone company"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Houston, TX

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing training, loved working with everyone on the team, solid customers, fair amount of PTO, good holiday schedule and great commission and bonus structure.

Cons

Extremely low base salary and no room for career growth. Your salary can be through the roof but if you're looking for bigger titles and responsibilities, I never saw the opportunity with them.

"Favoritism and Bullying, Even When Succeeding"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Orlando, FL

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Paid well if you can fight to work on the right business
    - Supportive colleagues

Cons

- Must be able to stick up for yourself if you want to get anywhere
    - Backstabbing occurs from supervisor level to colleagues
    - Encourage you to work extra hours, usually unpaid, in order to succeed or get ahead of others
    - Supervisors will let you know you're doing very well, then ask how you can spend even more time to get even better (even after already working well over 40 hours a week)
    - Not supportive or flexible for working moms or families with kids

"Chop Shop"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in Burlington, MA

I worked at Apex Systems full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn the ropes

Cons

This place is full of immature managers and is concerned only with metrics; they are not worried about consultants, or current employees.

Advice to Management

Find better ways to get to your P/L, chopping commissions and putting in fees that are not passed on to the clients or consultants is not right.

10. "Great place to work right out of college!"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Glen Allen, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Glen Allen, VA

I have been working at Apex Systems full-time

Pros

fast paced, numbers driven environment. Work hard, play hard company with great values! Team building activities, room for growth, etc.

Cons

Very loud office, sometimes slow moving feedback for candidates at times

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in Dallas, TX

Pros

Great company culture. People here actually care about each other and have integrity. They care about the livelihood of the candidates and clients we work with also. It's also a great way to learn corporate culture and the way things go, and continue to develop your business acumen.

Flexible schedule, lots of time off, very manageable work hours. Expectations are clearly mapped out once you start, are accurate and honest.

Compensation is solid once you're able to get over the hump.

Local leaders and District leaders are the best in the business.

You are given the tools to succeed and to be able to produce and beat out competition.

Cons

It's a sales driven company, so there aren't many opportunities for Recruiters to grow. Pretty much everything is catered towards driving successful sales people. I will admit it's a large challenge to build a career track for Recruiters, and they've done a decent job putting in effort to change that, but still have a long way to go.

It's truly a what have you done for me lately culture. Metrics continue to get tougher with no benefits to the employee.

Outside of that it's about as good as you can ask for.

Advice to Management

If you're going to increase metrics for bonus, you need to up the bonus amount.