Apixio Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Darren Schulte, MD

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "First Few Months at Apixio"

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Apixio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Really smart down to earth co workers
    -Good work culture with fair work life balance for a start up that is growing and has good amount of business in the pipeline.
    -On site gym which employees utilize
    -Catered lunches
    -Frequent team outings
    -The good kind of busy associated with growth at a start up.

I joined the company recently and was a bit apprehensive based on some of the reviews on this site. I decided to ignore those and judge the company based on the pleasant interactions that I had had with apixio employees throughout the interview process. I am glad I did that.

Cons

No major con. Just like you would expect from a growing start up, except some days now and then where you end up working a bit more than others. Also, be ready to context switch at times between your longer term projects and small fires that pop up from time to time.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Keep up the culture of openness and sharking of knowledge as we do now.

2. "Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apixio full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Engineering and science teams are the smartest group of people I've ever worked with. This is a challenging job that never gets boring. Good culture of collaboration across departments.

Cons

Office can get noisy and health care deadlines can at times seem overwhelming, but this is the consequence of working for health care tech startup.

Advice to Management

Shore up the product management team. A lot of us with non-manager titles are doing a lot of management work when we could be heads down developing.

3. "Talented People + Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Apixio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging problem to solve. Agile environment with rapid iteration cycles ++. Talented & dedicated people. Intellectuals with solid science backgrounds. Solid compensation and benefits. Catered meals daily. My Manager (VP of Product) was an excellent mentor/coach and help ensure my success.

Cons

Culture is a little Bro-ish, but I was treated fairly.

Advice to Management

Great cultures aren't built in a day, keep up the great job.

"Valuable experience, but work environment can be improved"

I worked at Apixio full-time

Pros

Majority of team is strong and inclusive - solid people. Gained strong experience and an expanded skill-set, given freedom to explore strong suits.

Cons

Frequent senior management turnover, internal drama and politics affected leadership and core values. Conflict management is not a strong suit- would not look to HR to help resolve issues.

Advice to Management

Hire C-level execs that are well seasoned, but more importantly trustworthy and genuine. Steer clear of bringing on individuals that thrive on drama or parade around with big egos. Focus on team, make sure they feel valued -- a healthy, non-toxic work environment should be most important factor to retain people.

5. "Joined in 2016/Bright Prospects in 2017"

I have been working at Apixio full-time

Pros

There always are unknowns when you join smaller organizations, but Apixio has consistently exceeded my expectations since joining in 2016. The product is real, and the people are welcoming as well as sincerely focused on delivering results to customers. When you bring together smart people from varied backgrounds, it’s the chemistry that makes the difference, and the chemistry at Apixio is there. With rapid growth, process is evolving and people are asking the right questions to structure a balanced organization. The CEO is very focused on getting things right to drive profitability in a measured way, rather than chase revenue. Exciting times in 2017, especially representing them in a healthcare market that desperately needs new ideas and approaches!

Cons

Not really a con but don't join a small healthcare IT company introducing cutting edge technology unless you want a rapid pace that's challenging but rewarding.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on being the best at what we do and avoid marketplace 'noise'
    Communication is good--continue to engage the team formally and informally.

"Left and Never Looked back"

Former Employee - Exc Director in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Exc Director in San Diego, CA

Pros

A few good people in the midst of some questionable leadership. Head of Sales when I was there was a squared away guy.

Cons

Sad little start up throwing titles around that don't mean a thing. Leaders CFO-is out of his league even at that sorry little place and CEO is MD who I can only think god dose not practice medicine, if he provided patient care they way he provide leadership their would have been a lot of sick people. Managed Care and Hospital corporations move on

Advice to Management

No advice they aren't leaders.

7. "Great healthcare startup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apixio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A well funded healthcare technology company, some of the smartest engineers around, a product that has been proven in the market and a clear path for additional revenue streams--- what more do you want from a startup?

The culture is great, everyone works hard but enjoys to have a beer or two on Friday afternoon. The mix of talented engineers and highly experienced healthcare people makes it a very solid team.

I am not sure about the other review cutting down the CEO, but I personally wouldn't take advice from someone who doesn't know the difference between your and you're.... I quote, "if your being recruited..."

CEO is a very smart MD who knows healthcare inside an out. He is ambitious and has high goals for the company, all positive characteristics in my eyes.

Cons

Smart employees can come with strong opinions. Everyone is respectful, but if you want to influence decisions you need to be comfortable speaking up. Timid people could have trouble here.

Projects are somewhat seasonal so there are crunch times for some teams (but this seems to be getting better as teams grow).

Advice to Management

More conference rooms will allow employees to meet quickly when needed instead of checking calendars, scheduling etc. It sounds trivial but the conference room shuffle wastes time.

Continue to focus on the core product and slowly expand new product lines.

8. "Rock Solid Technology and Great Team Spirit Equal Success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Apixio is comprised of an incredibly talented team of people that have embraced a common goal and exhibit strong team spirit. The mix of cutting edge technology, novel scientific approaches and great personalities fosters a healthy environment of excitement and consistent progress. The combination of market validation, the ability to participate in a world class technology organization, and of course the perks (game room, catered lunches), makes Apixio a place where employees legitimately love to work.

Cons

The influx of customers and the nature of immovable reporting deadlines can create "crunch" periods where tensions can rise as we work to make every customer project a success.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower your employees with Ownership. Highlight organizational successes in the market to stimulate excitement in employees.

"Customers Beware, Service Products are only as good as the people, and their People Stink."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apixio full-time

Pros

Good Sales team and executive sales leader.
    Technology should work in theory.

Cons

Amateur Start Up with un-professional executives.
    Lack of professionalism causes break down in operations and failures for customer
    CEO lacks leadership, ethics and integrity, Thinks as if he is a power player with a world class organization instead of a revenue strapped start-up, Manages through Paranoia.
    Organization thinks of themselves as a data science company and it's not even close.
    To small and unable to follow through on Customers needs.
    If your being recruited by this company...beware.. hold out for something better.
    IF your a customer look for a more established client base

Advice to Management

Have greater concern for your customers needs instead of your own, be focused and plan accordingly. Find a Ethical CEO not a incapable MD

"Fun place to make a difference using cool technology"

I have been working at Apixio full-time

Pros

It's a fun place to work, everyone enjoys each other's company and is always joking around. There are some great technologies being utilized to solve the toughest problems in healthcare.

Small company size allows for wider scope of responsibilities and chance to make a difference. Company itself has been growing rapidly from a business perspective.

Cons

As with most small companies, not all of the formal processes are in place. Need to be open to fast pace of change.

Advice to Management

Continue to put the best people and processes in place.