KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Apollo Graph Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2021

Found 21 of over 22 reviews

4.9
Apollo Graph CEO Geoff Schmidt (no image)
Geoff Schmidt
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great technology, better people

Aug 16, 2021 - Developer Advocate in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people and company values are rock solid. I’ve never worked for a company that took diversity and inclusion so seriously, I personally love it. Technology is amazing with really smart people to work with that are excited to help teach you.

Cons

Like any start up with growing challenges, only leadership listens and acts. There are a lot of expanding areas in GraphQL and the business adapts, meaning change happens

2. 5.0

Amazing Technology, Great Culture and Bright Future

Aug 15, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I feel lucky to have joined the company early enough to see the incredible growth over the past year. I'm excited about the company future. I hope my review can help people make their decision for the next step in their career. * Amazing products: GraphQL is one of the hottest technologies today. It is widely relevant to companies globally large and small. Its open source products have millions of downloads per week and its commercial products serve many of the world's biggest companies. The technology can make a big difference in user experience, software development velocity, and time to market. With its open source and commercial products, Apollo plays in both B2C and B2B markets which is cool. The company has a big vision for the future and the incredible growth over the past year has supported that vision. • Awesome founders: I think this is one of the key reasons Apollo is different from many hot startups out there. Geoff and Matt are very smart. thoughtful, down to earth, approachable, and kind. They do not care about hierarchy. They treat you with respect regardless of your position. If they don't know things, they say they don't know, and never pretend like they know more than they do. They have a great sense of humor and are pretty cool people. • Great culture: I absolutely love Apollo culture. I think the founders are one part of it. The other part is attributed to Apollo's rigorous hiring process. The culture is collaborative, kind, transparent, inclusive and progressive. It allows flexible hours, remote work and work life balance. Yes, work life balance does exist here. It's a startup so it can be very busy, but you own your schedule and find the balance for yourself. The company does encourage people to take time off, we occasionally have company holiday for people to recharge. Many people have small kids and it's ok to block your calendar for family duties. There are women in leadership positions and in the company board of directors. The company also cares about diversity and has relatively good representation of people from under-represented groups. • Great customers: Apollo serves many of the world's famous brands. The relationships with customers are often collaborative. They look at Apollo more as a partner than just a vendor.

Cons

* The tech can be hard to learn. It's an evolving technology, it's new for pretty much everybody in the industry. Apollo is solving complex problems for customers and sometimes there is no written manual. You need to be a self starter to keep up. * It's a startup which means a lot of functions and processes still need to be built. If you like to build, this is the perfect time to join. If you like structure and are not used to startup life, it may be challenging to adjust. * Perk is not as good as big tech but you can't ask for everything.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Apollo's a workplace as advertised

Aug 12, 2021 - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Apollo's everything the talent team touted it to be throughout my recruiting and interview process. If you want to be a part of a small team (just surpassed 100 employees) and work with people who are top tier in their title/department, this is the place for you. There is solid transparency from leadership, clear goals and expectations across departments, and a bright future as a leader in an industry.

Cons

If you aren't comfortable working remote indefinitely, this might not be a good fit. For those who are built for it (like myself), it's a huge plus.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company, Product & Culture

Aug 10, 2021 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Apollo's leadership says it best when they say they want this to be the most exciting, challenging, rewarding job in our careers. We are all challenged to do our best work and feel motivated towards the same outcome- exceeding unicorn status. The culture here is amazing. People feel encouraged and appreciated from day one. Matt and Geoff are inspiring and set the bar for what great leadership should be.

Cons

Like every startup, we are still figuring things out. This can be looked at negatively or positively because we all feel like we are part of building the future.

5. 4.0

Phenomenal Startup with Tremendous Upside

Aug 12, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people are absolutely incredible and the company's opportunity to shape an industry is extremely compelling. The company culture is really great and encourages hyper-focus (on the mission), lots of fun and legitimate compassion.

Cons

As is true for most startups (and anything of significance and worth achieving), at times, the workload can be very intense.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Solid company, looking forward to the next few years

Aug 12, 2021 - Engineering Manager in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Colleagues: really. People here are genuinely compassionate, earnest, candid, and concerned for one another. Made being here during the pandemic one of the easiest things. - HR/Management and their eye toward increasing company holidays: again, during the pandemic, the compassion from everyone played itself out as the company giving extra holidays to try and get folks to take more time off. - Autonomy/Purpose: For Engineers, there's a tonne of freedom to make changes and see your contributions get in front of clients quickly. This can mean ownership of chunks of the codebase, and the ability to really get to solve tougher problems. - Remote first: Engineering has done a good job at keeping people motivated and Product has done a good job keeping everyone moving in the same direction - Product: The folks in charge of product, from the Director down to the individual managers, are all keenly aware of the work to be done, have a strong technical background, making building developer tools really cohesive.

Cons

- We've had some management upsets over the last little while with folks leaving. - The company is at an inflection point for the codebase and architecture. For some of us, this is the best/most fun part of being at a startup. Issues of scale, and refactoring are the name of the game. This is when really cool technologies get built to handle this sort of thing. However, this isn't for everyone, hence my calling it out.

7. 5.0

A great place to work

Jun 2, 2021 - Director Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really great leadership team and team dynamics-- open, transparent, and collaborative. Rapidly growing and has strong potential

Cons

Sometimes run as an R&D Org- with less emphasis on commercial growth.

8. 5.0

Wonderful culture, exciting work

Jun 17, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really love working here. * The people and culture here are wonderful across the entire org. * The unlimited time off is the real deal, I've even been encouraged to take time off at times. This is not your 80hr work week startup, we work normal (flexible) hours and live our lives after the work day. * Remote work life is first rate - we've been doing it since before COVID-19 and it's gotten even better. We have people from around the world here. * The work is interesting and exciting. Everything we do as engineers here is visible to a large part of the developer community. * As an engineer, I'm constantly learning here. The people here are intelligent and driven and I'm always learning something whether or not I intend to. * Upper management really cares about the people here. Their efforts to not lose touch and make decisions in our interest are frequently apparent. The bottom line is important to them but it's not the only thing that matters. As far as the company goes, this feels like an exciting (promising) place to be right now. We're building awesome tech that companies want and are willing to pay for.

Cons

I'm having a difficult time thinking of cons. * We move fast and we're growing quickly. There are some growing pains to scaling up a company (people resources stretched a bit thin but getting better).

3 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Great Leadership, even better team

Jun 16, 2020 - Senior Software Engineer in Madison, WI
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Company is incredibly supportive - Team is very concerned with community and not just bottom line of the firm - Financially solid, fiscally responsible - Healthcare benefits are top-notch and simple. Instead of having dozens of options, none of which really cover what you need, there is one plan with too much of everything. Never felt more supported by my employer - On-call time is paid extra on top of your salary. The company puts its money where its mouth is and values employee time above and beyond regular hours - Company has "mandatory/suggested" holidays on top regular time off. This is to offset the potential curse of "unlimited time off" resulting in folks not taking any time off - Even in the midst of the pandemic, the company is making long term sustainable growth, with companies that one would assume are otherwise shrinking. Incredible.

Cons

- I started right as Covid was hitting. These are incredibly uncertain times. Being at a startup during all this is maybe not for some - Apollo is very plugged into the community and trying to make the best decisions internally which will have the biggest impact externally. This often leads to more thoughtful decisions which have less "splash" than some would like.

3 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0

Amazing culture

Jun 16, 2020 - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- great culture - super transparent - strong leadership - great impact - work life balance at a startup (is this real life?)

Cons

- being remote means no catered lunch in my home :)

1 person found this review helpful