App Annie Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
App Annie CEO Ted Krantz
Ted Krantz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Top global enterprise companies use App Annie data" (in 46 reviews)

• "Benefits: free lunch, monthly commute reimbursements (up to" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "As mentioned above, App Annie is probably not the place for you right now if you are looking for a predictable job with strictly 9-5 hours" (in 27 reviews)

• "Need to improve flexibility with work/life balance but this is a work in progress" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Two years in and excited for more"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at App Annie for two years. Yes, there has been a lot of change recently, but honestly the recent changes are absolutely for the better. I am not typically one to leave reviews, but I think someone needs to provide a balanced perspective

This is what I really like about App Annie, and why I can say I am genuinely happy here:

Learning the breadth of the business. There are so many opportunities for working cross-functionally. I have learned more about running a business in two years at App Annie than I did all of my other roles combined. If you take advantage of these opportunities and work hard, management will take chances on you.

Impact. I have worked at a lot of companies - big and small - and I can honestly say I have never felt as fulfilled at work. I have been given decision making power, and have been able to influence change even at an IC level. No, this isn't a fake review. Of course there have been ups and downs in the last year, but that's to be expected at a later stage start-up and I've personally found the experience rather enlightening

New leadership. I'm pretty happy about the recent changes in leadership. The current leadership works really well together and is more transparent. Pre-reorg the company had become too hierarchical and top heavy. Now if I need something to happen, I don't have to ask for permission...I just do it.

The people I work with. My colleagues that are still at the company are the ones who get things done, who have a positive attitude, and who I'd want to work with if I started my own company.

The product. If you like data and the mobile industry, you will lose yourself in your work on a daily basis. Our data is really interesting, and we get to work with all of the top publishers

The perks. The pay is great, the catered lunch is delicious, and we get stipends for transportation and gym memberships. If you have to work late, you can order dinner and take an Uber home

Cons

Change is constant. But change is necessary if our company is going to adapt and grow (and IPO)

Growth isn't always in a straight line. There aren't a ton of a management positions (which is honestly a plus) and there isn't always a headcount open if you want to get to the next level. That being said, there are so many examples of people moving to cross-functional positions to build more well rounded careers. While this may be annoying at the time, it is better for long-term growth

We're rebuilding our culture, but actually this isn't a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Continue to pay attention to your rockstars, and reinvest in the team as much as possible. Keep the listening sessions and the happy hours going. Keep up the transparency. You're message doesn't need to be perfect...we'd rather be in the loop sooner.

2. "Great career-launching company w/ exciting product!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Industry-leading product w/ broad, exciting sellable market.
    -Career growth opportunities for those who hustle and produce results.
    -CEO with a track record of success and aptitude for driving growth.
    -Leadership and management teams invest in and truly care about employees.
    -Can't beat the people, culture, and talent.
    -Lunch is delicious.

Cons

-The company has made great strides to increase transparency from the CEO down, which has made a material impact to the company culture.

Advice to Management

-Keep the new products coming and continue transparency with employees.
    -Continue to celebrate achievements, no matter how big or small.

"Start Up with Growth Potential"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Strong innovation with product. Really see the impact of all the recent changes as new reports and metrics are being added every few weeks.
    -Market leader in mobile app data. Top global enterprise companies use App Annie data. Often cited by major publications.
    -Above market rate compensation
    -Smart and hardworking coworkers
    -Benefits: free lunch, monthly commute reimbursements (up to $100/month), gym membership

Cons

-Since there are global offices, hard to maintain a strict 9-5 schedule as there needs to be global coordination on large projects.
    -Change is inevitable. If you're uncomfortable with being in a fast paced environment, this is probably not the place for you.

4. "Uniquely positioned company moving fast, new products, and great culture"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New cool products coming out rapidly.
    Innovation is accelerating.
    People are very helpful and hard working.
    Unique company position as market leader with great customers.

Cons

Lots of org changes recently starting with CEO so this is not the place for you if you don't do well with change.

Advice to Management

Over-communicate changes, vision, company health.

5. "Sr Strategic Account Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Strategic Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Strategic Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never been with a data company that's got such unique market differentiation and leadership.

World-Class Customer Success Organization that makes selling easier

Strong Customer Focus and Fast Innovation

Cons

Need to buy your own lunch on Friday's. :(

Advice to Management

Keep the current pace of product innovation, and continue listening to customers

6. "A great time to join!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new CEO has brought in a fresh view, focus and direction for the business. Product Innovation, cross-functional teaming and a culture reboot are priorities and the change is noticeable. App Annie's product and its proprietary mobile data set provide fascinating insights and a global view of the mobile app economy. Smart, nice co-workers, fun happy hours and supportive managers round out the experience. Plus amazing customer logos. Great job skills for current role and future roles!

Cons

Global footprint can mean long hours. Some processes need improving. These are the same pains as most fast-growing startups. You have a lot of impact and there are always fresh challenges to solve, but it isn't for everyone.

Advice to Management

Keep the new tech and products coming!

7. "Refreshing changes and new energy"

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

New leadership is providing transparency and fixing the company’s crazy spending in the past. Feels like a new company and more focus on innovation, vision and that your voice is finally heard!

Cons

Restructuring multiple times but everyone is seeing clearly this was needed

Advice to Management

Keep it up! don’t let us down with the new vibe and drift back to the past problems!!

8. "Changes are positive, renewed focus on people and long term success"

I worked at App Annie full-time

Pros

Like most successful start ups, the company has seen and endured different challenges throughout its growth to become a global market leader. The new CEO and senior management are aligned and focused on culture, responsible growth, and building a lasting company.

App Annie attracts highly intelligent and motivated people. Teams work well together, sharing knowledge and best practices, to support the success of their customers. Most are driven to succeed, but not at the expense of other colleagues.

Cons

Lots of organization change can make it hard to focus on the end game.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on people as they are the most important component of long term success.

9. "Interesting times at App Annie!"

Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I’ve been at App Annie for 6 months now. One of the reasons I joined is for the people. Previously, I worked at an edtech startup and wanted to work at a more exciting, faster growing startup and App Annie fit that bill. I really enjoy coming to work everyday with some of the nicest, smartest and hardest working people I know.

Cons

When I interviewed in March, I read a lot of negative Glassdoor reviews and was hesitant about the environment. During the interview process, I really liked my hiring manager and the business partners I spoke with. After I started here, I didn’t find the Glassdoor reviews to be reflective of what is really going on with the company. Yes, it is true we have been through a lot in the past 6 months with a new CEO and other staff changes. However, those changes were necessary and will put us on the right path to grow and thrive.

Advice to Management

I’m excited to see what Ted does as our new CEO. I think management needs to be focused on culture, talent retention and growth.

"Exciting Times and Fun People"

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

I'm not sure what all these negative posts are about because App Annie is a fun and exciting place to work. The technology is cool, the people are very smart and fun to work with. The company has great customers and continues to grow.

Like anything in life, it is what you make of it and I'm having a great time with my team trying to make it happen. The company is very successful and dominant in mobile and is expanding into other things. I am excited to see how we will grow in the next 12 months.

As for other things, the company offers good benefits, has a great location, caters lunches, and pays above average salaries. I really can't complain because I believe I am fairly compensated and I enjoy coming into work.

Cons

There are high expectations from managers and colleagues. If you want a nice easy job this is not the place.

Advice to Management

I like seeing the positive changes that are taking place.
    We need to innovate faster because we have the potential to be very special.