App Annie Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very friendly and positive recruitment process at App Annie Singapore Office (in 29 reviews)

• Excellent benefits (free lunch, free phone and others (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes working for App Annie stressful from time to time, but this also keeps it interesting (in 20 reviews)

• Need to improve flexibility with work/life balance but this is a work in progress (in 8 reviews)

"Well positioned company + opportunity for professional growth"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

App Annie is the gold standard for app data, partnering with an impressive and diverse roster of clients. Client facing roles here lend themselves to interesting conversations with Fortune 500 companies on how they can leverage our insights to develop a successful mobile strategy. As this becomes a critical need in a growing number of industries, the company's opportunity for continued growth is vast.

Strategic thinkers are well positioned to thrive here. Promotions from the independent contributor to mid management level demonstrate the opportunity for professional growth. Having worked at both private and public companies prior to joining App Annie, it is certainly a place where strong performance does not go unnoticed by leadership.

Cons

For the reasons mentioned above, this is a company with ambitious goals and high expectations for individual performance. Those with a desire to embrace that mentality will enjoy the culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent about our goals and the vision for 2018 and beyond.

"Great place to grow"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being able to grow with a fast-growing company
    Employee perks: free lunch, commuter benefits, after hour work benefits, fully stocked kitchen, office outings
    C-Level visibility
    Opportunity to grow within

Cons

Some people go outside of their swim lanes
    Changes that sometimes go into effect are announced after the fact rather than giving employees a heads up

3. "Run don’t walk away"

Pros

- Pro duct: App Annie’s data and insights behind mobile app data is amazing.

- it’s a great short term gig if you’re looking to learn about and expand your knowledge about mobile app

Cons

If you’re an expert at your function/specially, run don’t walk away from App Annie. Favoritism is rampant. If you suck at your but are liked by e-staff you’re rewarded.

Advice to Management

People are your greatest asset. Get outside your pal zone

"The Negative Reviews Are Totally Accurate"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• It's a cool space to work in and an interesting ecosystem of publishers and vendors.
    • Perks aren't bad, even though they're there to make up for poor pay.
    • Culture used to be awesome. In marketing, junior and mid-level people typically still look out for one another from what I understand.

Cons

• Terrible hires over the past year. Mix of lazy, inappropriate and cutthroat senior hires brought on that pushed out existing middle management and made everyone else miserable.
    • Lots of pivots, not a lot of strategy or thoughtfulness.
    • Lack of career advancement for most.

Advice to Management

Stop passing off the positive Glassdoor posts you write as if they're representative of how employees feel. The President has a very distinctive writing style that's easy to spot.

"Amazing Talent (x) Focused Leadership (x) Top VC Funding = Great Company & Opportunity"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

During a recent office lunch conversation, a number of my colleagues and I were discussing 2017, our upcoming holiday party, and why we were excited about 2018. During the convo, it struck me that we should probably do a better job as a company of “sharing the good news” –even if culturally our approach is more “walk the walk” and let our results speak for themselves.

So, with that, after multiple years at App Annie, and past roles at private and public companies, I think it appropriate that I provide a Glassdoor review to share the good news - and some of the tradeoffs - to ensure you have a balanced view of App Annie.

It feels good to come to work every day and deliver for a company operating from a position of strength – from a talent, financial and strategic perspective. Our robust VC funding allows for a pragmatic approach to growth and strategy.

As we pursue a successful exit, there is a sense among many that we are doing work that will define and accelerate our careers. Though we have 500+ employees across 14 global offices – we are a nimble company committed to thoughtfully executing a dynamic strategy to accelerate growth. Yes, it does sound a bit cliché, but it’s real, and we are laser focused.

If you’ve ever been a part of an organization or sports team with a history of success, App Annie feels similar in that we have a high expectation culture that thrives on winning “with class” by delivering best in class execution and cross-functional collaboration. Everyone is mission critical. We have a good time but know we all have to deliver. When we hit our goals and win, we celebrate. When we fall short, we access and tweak our strategy, and ensure we have “the right people on the bus” to use the words of Jim Collins, author of "Good to Great."

As someone who has exceeded goals – and also fallen short – I appreciate that our leadership “gets it” and is committed to aligning expectations and rewarding hard work. There are many reasons that our employee retention is very high across the globe: competitive compensation, market leader status, the backing of top VCs, thoughtful leadership, and an exciting exit opportunity.

But while Glassdoor posts have some value (and I hope my post does), nuance is lost, and I do believe your specific functional role, team, and leadership will determine the quality of your experience. For this reason, I encourage you to reach out to see and hear for yourself via informational or actual interviews.

Cons

See tradeoffs above re high expectation culture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Worrying Changes for Staff"

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

. Fast growing industry and a good product

Cons

. Worrying change in company culture this year. Energy has dropped and people are sad
    . Harsh cost cutting that is negatively hitting staff
    . Widespread belief that senior management doesn't give a damn about us
    . Lots of people are making plan Bs

Advice to Management

Please get a grip on the company culture crash. This has to be bad for us all.

7. "Slales"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

have chances to try everything.

Cons

People management more than process.

"Anonymous"

Pros

- Free EAT Club lunches daily
    - Stocked kitchen
    - Great location
    - Collaborative culture with colleagues

Cons

- HIGH turnover
    - Many contracted employees as opposed to FTE
    - Poor communication from top down
    - No structure
    - Not transparent; many things left in the air
    - Do not value employees as they are just a number to the executives
    - CFO only cares about money and not principles and values
    - Company says one thing and acts a different way
    - Downward spiral and no hope of getting of the pit now

Cons definitely outweigh the pros. It had so much potential to be a great company. Seek employment elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Better communication through the company. Stick with the plan you presented and carry it out. Build the culture and employee relations.

"App Annie has gone downhill like all the previous reviews"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The few good employees ones left have made I‎t bearable, although wearing thin.
    Commuter benefits and 100% benefits.
    Free EAT club everyday
    A great and needed product
    Fun offsite events

Cons

The massive layoffs to our prospering company is very jarring. The hardwork of many have been widdled down to only a few solid employees, before we know it our already toxic environment is going to be the death of us.

Advice to Management

Stop the CFO from ruining the culture and whatever behind the scenes goals are being set are unrealistic and going to ruin your company from the inside out, if I‎t already hasn’t. Our reputation proceeds us and now the last good employees are going to leave. I‎t seems every current employee is looking for a new home.

"Could have been a great company... but toxic work culture."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clear market data leader in the mobile app space with most of leading app publishers / VCs and many big logos from Fortune 500
    - Solid global footprint with mature operations in APAC and Europe
    - Pre-IPO profile

Cons

- Shipping products before the quality is even at an acceptable level in a space where clients are savvy enough to detect it
    - A ton of churn among executives: COO, CFO, CMO, CPO and more due to internal conflicts
    - Very political

Advice to Management

- Hire for the vision, not the credentials
    - Trust your teams