App Annie Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
App Annie CEO Bertrand Schmitt
Bertrand Schmitt

Pros
  • Since starting around this time last year I'd have to say that my experience at App Annie has been nothing short of positive (in 24 reviews)

• office is next to Bart, easy walk to Caltrain, FREE LUNCH everyday and great snacks (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes working for App Annie stressful from time to time, but this also keeps it interesting (in 19 reviews)

• Bad work-life balance, working around the clock (time differences with global teams), too many managers and bureaucratic levels (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great opportunities"

Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic position in the industry, great clients, company is solving hard important problems.

Cons

The company grew fast and didn't pay enough attention to its employees, but that has been markedly improved.

"App Annie has a lot of potential but..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lot of smart folks who are fun to work with, a good place to build camaraderie, pretty amazing perks (convenient location, free food, commuter benefits, decent health insurance, many company-hosted happy hours and parties), prominent global footprint, and aggressive sales team.

Cons

Upper management was short-sighted, not willing to invest in employees which resulted in high turn-over rate. Product itself is very robust but PMs lacked innovation and vision, very stuck in their old ways.

"Stressful with no little money"

Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at App Annie (More than a year)

Pros

Well there was Free Food and a nice good culture.

Cons

Stressful, tight deadlines, bad management, low salary compare to all the work that I was doing.

Advice to Management

Have more reasonable deadlines, and appreciate your designers!

"Satisfaction will come through hard work"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

True potential to be one of the most influential experiences of your career. Open door policy allows you to be heard and your ideas to turn into real opportunities. App Annie is in a unique, ever-changing environment which makes work exciting and demanding all together, and brings out the best of their employees. From my own experience, I've seen great comradery both within teams and in cross-functional work. The exposure that you get into other functions of the business (not just your own) has always been the highlight for me.

Cons

Sometimes feels like the high pace in which the company operates in leaves the employees feeling like they are not the highest priority. Senior roles are not always good managers, which can create frustration with employees who feel like they are not getting enough in return

Advice to Management

Invest more in managerial soft skills and create clear long-term career paths. Employees need to know that there is place for them to grow in the company.

"Don't Believe the Hype"

Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Management in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

With offices around the world and multiple cultures represented App Annie is a truly global company. Interesting client list. Lots of free shirts.

Cons

With tough times ahead in the industry, blame is starting to become the norm. They have done a good job bringing in Senior Management to fix the unfixable. But instead of recognizing the people who got them this far, they are blaming them for not getting them farther. Stress is the norm, and fear pervades. No work life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans, not assets to be invested or sold.

"Positive momentum in Sales org and leadership across the board"

I have been working at App Annie full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at the company for a decent amount of time and have seen the change accelerating across the org. Growing pains are inherent when quadrupling in size in less than 3 years.

Sales management has markedly improved, in terms of recent exec additions as well as general alignment. The sales org is rapidly maturing, and at the end of day you either trust the vision from the top down, or you don't. If not, need to ask yourself if it's because the vision hasn't been properly communicated, or if it's not a right fit professionally. I can say that revenue goals and expectations at the individual level are much more reasonable than a year ago, but by no means is it a "come to work and get paid" opportunity.

Operating as gold standard in a burgeoning industry is going to present opportunities to adapt quickly and thrive, but it definitely requires passion and guess what? Occasional long hours.

If you've been in other departments aside from Sales, you'll quickly realize the amount of work that goes into building a world class product can often surpass your own hours. It's upon us as sales to foster a virtuous cycle of providing on the ground feedback to product from clients and taking it upon ourselves to be product and industry experts.

That's why every review lauds working with so many smart and talented people within the org. It is not something I take lightly.

Working with my managers and their managers on a day to day basis affords me great exposure, learning opportunities, and winning / losing together.

These aren't just sound bites. This is a slightly disorganized and honest review of an excellent yet imperfect company that is cognizant of its weaknesses and addressing them. Change takes time, but I would point to the many positives here that sometimes get taken for granted and subsumed under the surface level gripes.

Cons

The pendulum has swung far to the other direction as the company grows. When you add so many people so fast, a lot of what might have defined the company initially changes. Growing pains can translate in a variety of ways, as folks might feel cultural dilution, silo'ed satellite teams, and change as the only constant. Traditionally, it's seemed a bit difficult to get concerns voiced to senior management, hence the Glassdoor complaints. But this too is improving.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Embrace excellence and recognize the folks who live eat and breath mobile. Being transparent with the team and setting expectations as best as you can lets us know that we are on the same team. I appreciate the commitment to excellence, and draw inspiration from my peers and hard working managers.

"Great opportunity - fast growing company and great people"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager

I have been working at App Annie (Less than a year)

Pros

Growth potential for existing client base is greater than I expected when applying

The people are fantastic - hard working, great minds, team environment

The data is sound and the teams supporting the data are knowledgeable and forward thinking

Product development is continuous which deepens client relationships and reach

Cons

If you're not ready to work hard and at a faster pace than most other organizations you will find it difficult to succeed

"Exciting opportunity at a growing company with great people"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at App Annie full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible, industry-leading products with a large and addressable market. Guidance from the new and experienced executive leadership team has helped transform the sales model for the next phase of growth.

Being experienced in sales and understanding how to manage your territory while executing sales strategies will allow you to earn great money and advance within the company. Impressive YoY growth within the company and the market is a clearly a sign that the company is on a positive and successful trajectory.

Fun and inviting environment to work in! Tons of parties, gatherings and company events.

Cons

With a company that's transitioning from startup to enterprise, there are a lot of moving parts. Management has done a great job keeping their focus on the big picture and company goals. You will need to do as much as you can independently to help the company grow without having your handheld. This is a con in many people's eyes, but to me it's a great learning experience and allows me to pull my weight and achieve as much as I can to help the transition become smoother.

Advice to Management

You have done a great job keeping us informed about the company's path and goals. Please continue to leave your doors open and allowing us to learn as much as we can.

"Very Solid Startup, Great Culture, Strong Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

App Annie is a great company to be at. For starters, It is financially stable. Not only did the last round of funding go through smoothly the company is making real money selling to enterprise customers and we can see deals coming in each quarter. There is a also a new Mid Market team that has been gaining a lot of traction. Mobile is growing and customers know they need this data and analytics.

The sales compensation plan has changed and is now very good. It used to be somewhat opaque and hard to understand. The primary problem was that it was complex and confusing figuring out how much commission I would get for each deal closed. Now, it's a straight % of what you sell. There are accelerators everywhere - for monthly quota attainment, quarterly attainment, multi-product sales and multi-year deals.

There is definitely potential to grow on the sales team. The senior management team has promoted individual contributors who exceed quota and show leadership into management roles. There is clearly a performance based culture where everyone has an equal chance to succeed in role and advance their career.

Cons

With a performance based culture the bottom performers are managed out quickly.

Lead generation needs to accelerate at scale to accommodate end of year 2016 quota.

Need to accelerate the innovation and delivery of the product roadmap.

Advice to Management

Continue being client focused. Faster go-to-market execution.

"A great place to work!"

I have been working at App Annie full-time

Pros

Since starting around this time last year I'd have to say that my experience at App Annie has been nothing short of positive. Everyone exudes honesty, kindness, and passion in everything they do. Whatever your position, the executives constantly encourage you to ask questions. And whatever your question might be, they answer honestly and to the best of their ability. That's a very rare thing to find in any workplace and its just a small part of what makes it fun.

Cons

There are a lot of growing pains that come from immense growth and lack of processes. In sales, you must be proactive and be willing to tough it out frequently due to ever-changing processes and people's roles which can be tiresome at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue to remain effective leaders through transparency and availability.