Cover image for AppDirect

70 Comments

Tech

468K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=AppDirect~614387
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "1. Good culture with very friendly environment.(in 40 reviews)
  • "Great people to learn from.(in 39 reviews)
  • "Work life balance is good.(in 16 reviews)
  • "The team is amazing, makes coming to work everyday fun and interesting.(in 14 reviews)
  • "Free food (though not of very good quality)(in 14 reviews)
Cons
  • "Too many meetings and that too at random times because of poor management.(in 13 reviews)
  • "CTO has bad leadership which can be shown by recent exits from many engineers.(in 13 reviews)
  • "No development work, If you become managers pet then you will get good work.(in 8 reviews)
  • "+ Annual layoffs in the 3rd or 4th quarter make it hard to trust in leadership + US employees get below industry standard when laid off + POCs are disproportionately affected in layoffs(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Mar 21, 2021 - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun company to work at now

Cons

Management can be slow to make changes

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Unclear Direction and Leadership

Dec 2, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

AppDirect is a very flexible work from the home situation during covid and even before, depending on the manager. There are a few good people there and they put a lot of effort into building a virtual employee experience. Often we had local and global all hands.

Cons

- Leadership often changes GTM strategies, which feels like 3-4 times a year. - Not truly a B2B enterprise software company, more of a software reseller trying to focus on the gross merchandise value (GMV) - Equity interest is low in the secondary market as the company is no longer hyper-growth and is now in debt financing rounds. - Top Talent and leadership have been leaving. Recruiting top talent is hard. - Shifted hiring to less talented regions (not SF) and the quality of new hires is subpar. - leaders that are left lack top tier tech experience and leadership - No WFM or adjusted Covid benefits ( no more in-office snacks or meals) - Still no 401K match- this is a 10 year + old company...

7 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the AppDirect team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Talk to Former Employees First

Nov 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are some good people throughout the company. There is also great diversity and inclusion throughout the company. The all hands meetings are informative and fun. Dan Saks is a great charismatic leader and leads a very informative podcast.

Cons

The strategy changes often, causing very high turnover. There are also lots of leadership changes at AppDirect and AppSmart as the strategy changes almost monthly. The company tells a compelling story to hire employees in. So I highly suggest you do the research and talk to others on LinkedIn who recently left AppSmart or AppDirect to learn more about the culture and reasons for turnover before accepting a job here. AppSmart and AppDirect have very different cultures, even though they are both under the umbrella of AppDirect.

4 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0

Working at AppDirect

Jan 19, 2021 - AppDirector in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture is incredible. You won’t find one person at AD that isn’t a respectful and kind individual.

Cons

The product is truly ahead of its time. experience in tech won’t help you here - you learn something new everyday. This can be overwhelming for some, but everyone at the company is extremely intelligent.

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Growing Global Company with Focus on Culture & Virtual Wellness

Aug 31, 2020 - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The diverse global culture and shared values Fun activities including global talent show, olympics, and family day Leadership commitment to employees well-being and investment in peak performance and mental health awareness Mission driven business helping businesses transform

Cons

Like other tech companies working remote through July 2021

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Even unicorns have a few warts...

Feb 15, 2021 - Senior Marketing-Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Working relationship with Sales; Accountability; Autonomy; Work Life Balance; Dan Saks' charisma

Cons

Ambiguous product roadmap; lacked insight, vision, and commitment to key verticals; infighting among marketing leadership

8. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to start your career.

Oct 5, 2020 - Design Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, a great and stable company to work for. Great people.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to innovate. It's very top-down managed.

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Best Decision I've Made Yet, Here To Stay

Nov 11, 2014 - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've been with the company for less than a year, but here is what I can share of my experience so far: - Incredible culture focused on fostering growth and success - Opportunity to own more than your defined role and shine within the company - Flat org and access to executives at any time - Market leading platform that continues to improve and evolve into an industry disrupting technology - Working with the largest companies in the world and impacting millions of businesses - Great office atmosphere and amazing views (24th/25th Floor, 360-deg view of city and bay) - Competitive benefits (Equity, 401K w/ matching, Free Bay Club Membership, Free Healthcare/Dental/Vision, Catered Lunches, and others) - Monthly town halls to highlight successes, improvements, spotlight new hires, and share new initiatives There are plenty of other reasons, but the simplest way I can put it is: this is the best place I've worked yet and I feel like I'm a part of something that's making a difference.

Cons

- The company is still getting to the point of building training tailored to specific roles, meaning expect to be ready to own your role and find the answers - especially if on the business side - We operate pretty lean all things considered so the hours can be hectic and unpredictable at times - The product and capabilities continue to grow so it can be daunting at first

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Challenging, rewarding work. Great company culture.

May 7, 2014 - Graphic Designer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great company to work for. Previous jobs have not pushed me to excel in the same way that AppDirect has. Overall, the company is comprised of exceptionally intelligent and driven people who get along very well. Compensation is fair and reviewed regularly. Everybody is considered for growth in their roles. This is not a place that seeks to stifle people. As a designer, my job allows me to interact with just about every department—this variety is a great benefit, and something I was actively seeking when interviewing. I'm really optimistic about the future here—as the design team grows, I look forward to welcoming new talent to our group. While long hours aren't unusual, they're balanced out by a nice PTO policy (20 days) and holiday schedule (about 10 days). AppDirect also has a great office culture. Many employes are avid ping-pong and foosball players and take advantage of the tables in the game room. While we may not have a full service kitchen staff like other tech companies, we do have a nicely stocked kitchen—snacks, fruit coffee, tea and plenty of cold drinks. Lunch is catered on Fridays, we have weekly team workouts (optional of course) and on-site and offsite happy hours are a regular occurrence.

Cons

As our company grows quickly, it's sometimes difficult reconcile the difference between needing to make quick decisions vs. smart decisions that benefit the long-term vision and goals of the company. I would chalk it up to growing pains that are unavoidable.

3 people found this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Why I chose AppDirect over Venture Capital

Jul 30, 2019 - SDR Team Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

// Mentorship - I went from minimal sales experience to setting up deals with some of the largest enterprise companies in the world. AppDirect has also given me a deep understanding of industries like ISV, Manufacturing, MSP/VAR, FinServ, Telco, etc. // View - 360 unobstructed view of San Francisco from the 25th floor (I’m writing this while looking at the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz) // Friends - I couldn’t wish for a more supportive and friendly work environment, even senior leadership has taken the time to get to know me personally // Flexibility - I’m given the freedom to take daily gym breaks and work from home when needed // Career Development - I get ~$,1500/yr to go to events, take classes, buy books, etc. as well as unlimited free access to Udemy courses // Salary - they pay is above market average (with an uncapped quota + accelerators) with significant career growth opportunities, 401K, fully covered health/dental // Enablement - I’d like to think we are the most enabled SDR team out there...AppDirect has invested in giving us world-class sales tools and marketing collateral, and hands-on training (making my job easier) // Andddd yes there’s free lunch every day and all the snacks/drinks you could want

Cons

We've had some turnover, but that's the nature of the industry. The reality is that we're getting invaluable experience.

1 person found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 166 Reviews
</>Embed

AppDirect Reviews FAQs

AppDirect has an overall rating of 3.1 out of 5, based on over 302 reviews left anonymously by employees. 38% of employees would recommend working at AppDirect to a friend and 40% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -10% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AppDirect employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.3 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AppDirect. This rating has decreased by -13% over the last 12 months.

38% of AppDirect employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AppDirect 4.2 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.2 for culture and values and 2.9 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AppDirect to be benefits, career development, culture and the cons to be compensation, management, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with AppDirect Job Seekers