AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance is not necessarily the best (in 9 reviews)

• some growing pains but it's all part of the rollercoaster ride (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast growing company with ambitious goals and a strong engineering culture"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To understand the culture of AppDynamics, you need to start with its founders. Both Jyoti and Bhaskar were engineers before they started AppD. This means the company is very focused on technology and innovation which is great if you care deeply about DevOps and performance.

That being said, the culture is also growing and changing as more people join the company. It's a delicate balance between new and old but the growth challenge is what drew me to the company.

Everyone I've met has impressed me with a great work ethic and a willingness to push the envelope. This is not a company for people who want to sit back and turn on cruise control. I come to work every day excited to learn something new and help push the company a millimeter in a new direction.

Compensation is great here. The benefits are awesome. Drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Massage therapists two days a week. Good health care coverage. You've got everything you would expect of a tech company.

The bottomline is - join AppD if you want to grow your career and gain experience taking a company from 1000 employees to 10,000.

Cons

As I mentioned in the Pros section of my review, AppD is growing very fast. That means there will be some growing pains as people join and add to the culture of the company. All of this growth is exacerbated by the fact that we have very aggressive goals in the next 4-5 years.

Communication can be a challenge at times - making sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Hiring can be challenging because we're a very enterprise-focused company. That means our market awareness is not as strong as other companies in the valley. This will change as we continue to gain market share.

Advice to Management

Protect and maintain a culture of engineering, technology, and innovation. This is what will keep AppD competitive in the marketplace and attract top talent.

Be willingness to teach, mentor, and grow your employees so that they stay for the long haul.

We should make it clear that culture is very important at AppD and we should continually express and explicitly state our culture to employees year-round.

Have fun as much as possible. Keep doing awesome Halloween events. Keep doing ugly sweater parties. Keep volunteering around the world. Keep smiling.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you so much for the detailed review, we are so thrilled to have you on this rocketship with us! Glad to see that you share our vision and understand the pains that come with rapid growth. Our ... More

2. "Career Changer"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-True team of A-players, the best salesforce in the business
    -Collaboration-I've never worked in an office where people are so open to share best practices, and celebrate the successes of their peers
    -Leadership-committed to helping the team win opportunities and find new and creative ways to differentiate in the market
    -Career Changer-joining AppDynamics was the single best decision I've made, both from a personal and professional perspective. When we say The Next Great Software Company, we mean it!

Cons

-Cisco acquisition-the business impact will be a positive, but many are concerned of the impact of the acquisition to AppDynamics' culture

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- second to none people/employees
    - great culture
    - exciting product
    - exceptional leadership
    - even under the Cisco umbrella, AppD has not changed its course
    - new challenges every day

Cons

- always facing growing pains (can and usually a good thing)

There aren't many cons. This is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue building the "small" company culture and constantly work on promoting within. Keep your people happy.

5. "Excellent Company Ran by Excellent People"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Highest paying career to date with uncapped commissions and achievable accelerators
    - Heavy INTERNAL promotion opportunities
    - Proven results driven sales process
    - Highly competitive work environment with leadership fighting with you in the trenches
    - Monday breakfast and Wednesday lunch provided (along with a kitchen full of snacks and drinks)

Cons

- Work environment and making money is so enjoyable that you forget about going home for family time.
    - Cisco large scale internal processes but AppDynamics will remain exclusive with Cisco dollars to back more growth and R&D
    - Tough and lengthy interview process (ensure top talent gets hired)

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within and inspiring to win together. Offer remote days for proven quota achievers

May 8, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

We are happy to hear you believe in the management and culture here at AppDynamics. We pride ourselves in making it a great environment to work in. Thank you for your review!

6. "Amazing growth, pay & work environment"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Growing company means evolving teams with more opportunities for promotions
    -Uncapped & attainable accelerators - best earnings years of my career so far
    -Leadership is heavily invested in each person's success - they will absolutely go to bat for you to keep quotas manageable & that you're taken care of on comp
    -Significant opportunities for personal growth learning the company's sales cycle & unique processes
    -401k match with the Cisco acquisition
    -Constant collaboration between teams. Great work environment all around

Cons

-Not your typical 9-5 - not so much a con but you have to be open to flexible working hours, especially if your territory / region is out of your timezone.
    -Acquisition by Cisco means integration with their internal systems - AppD is still autonomous within Cisco so the disruption is minimal

7. "Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Incredible people to work with
    -Catered Breakfast and Lunch
    -Massages
    -Fully stocked snack room
    -Great pay and benefits (especially now with Cisco)
    -Exciting startup feel with a large enterprise support
    -Cutting-edge technology

Cons

-Glassdoor requires a 20 word minimum for Cons but I don't have any... almost there... 16 17 18 19 20!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

May 8, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you for your kind review! We are glad you're enjoying your time here at AppDynamics.

8. "Senior Financial Analyst"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company, lots of greenfield opportunities / exciting projs

Cons

Internal perception on finance team

Apr 3, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Happy to hear you are enjoying your time here at AppDynamics! The projects and opportunities here are endless. Thank you!

9. "Great company and they will recognize talent"

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

flexible hours, decent environment. awesome CEO and founder.

Cons

there was no 401K match, but things are about to change ;)

Mar 14, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Glad to hear you are enjoying working at AppDynamics overall! Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

10. "Amazing Company....A true Employee freindly company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible timing, The Work environment is good, People are really awesome ,very friendly .Lot of opportunities to learn and grow, Company takes good care of employee needs.
    Strong Cultural values.

Cons

Nothing really comes to mind, No real Cons Just a Suggestions
    Pay structure can be better and company can give transportation reimbursement benefit, It will be great for employees

Advice to Management

You can offer joining bonus to new employee.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you for reviewing AppDynamics, we like to think that we take pretty good care of our employees (: In addition, we do offer pre-tax commuter benefits, please reach out to our HR or Onboarding ... More

11. "Finance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Great work environment. Flex time

Cons

A lot of unknown about the acquisition