AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance (if you are looking for that) (in 10 reviews)

• Its a fast paced environment and I love it (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not necessarily the best (in 11 reviews)

• Typical growing pains of a start-up growing at this pace (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast growing company with ambitious goals and a strong engineering culture"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To understand the culture of AppDynamics, you need to start with its founders. Both Jyoti and Bhaskar were engineers before they started AppD. This means the company is very focused on technology and innovation which is great if you care deeply about DevOps and performance.

That being said, the culture is also growing and changing as more people join the company. It's a delicate balance between new and old but the growth challenge is what drew me to the company.

Everyone I've met has impressed me with a great work ethic and a willingness to push the envelope. This is not a company for people who want to sit back and turn on cruise control. I come to work every day excited to learn something new and help push the company a millimeter in a new direction.

Compensation is great here. The benefits are awesome. Drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Massage therapists two days a week. Good health care coverage. You've got everything you would expect of a tech company.

The bottomline is - join AppD if you want to grow your career and gain experience taking a company from 1000 employees to 10,000.

Cons

As I mentioned in the Pros section of my review, AppD is growing very fast. That means there will be some growing pains as people join and add to the culture of the company. All of this growth is exacerbated by the fact that we have very aggressive goals in the next 4-5 years.

Communication can be a challenge at times - making sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Hiring can be challenging because we're a very enterprise-focused company. That means our market awareness is not as strong as other companies in the valley. This will change as we continue to gain market share.

Advice to Management

Protect and maintain a culture of engineering, technology, and innovation. This is what will keep AppD competitive in the marketplace and attract top talent.

Be willingness to teach, mentor, and grow your employees so that they stay for the long haul.

We should make it clear that culture is very important at AppD and we should continually express and explicitly state our culture to employees year-round.

Have fun as much as possible. Keep doing awesome Halloween events. Keep doing ugly sweater parties. Keep volunteering around the world. Keep smiling.

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you so much for the detailed review, we are so thrilled to have you on this rocketship with us! Glad to see that you share our vision and understand the pains that come with rapid growth. Our... More

"Awesome Culture"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Get to work on an amazing team ! Great culture where there's plenty of opportunity to communicate and collaborate across verticals and teams. Plus the office space is amazing, having cold brew on tap and beer in the fridges is a big plus

Cons

None ! Sometimes the work extends beyond a standard 40 hour week, but that is to be expected with increased responsibility, and the work is fun to complete.

Advice to Management

Keep it up ! In the coming years, don't forget to lose sight of what made the company an amazing place to work as it keeps growing.

Aug 14, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to review AppDynamics! Great to hear you are enjoying your team, our leaders, and a lot of the perks AppDynamics has to offer! We do pride ourselves on our open-door... More

"New to AppD, incredible on boarding process surrounded by tons of talent"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, great on boarding, incredible leadership hot market and great product.

Cons

normal challenges when merging companies...but surprisingly smooth with Cisco as AppD is still very much AppD.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

Aug 14, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We are so thrilled to hear that you had a smooth and memorable journey from your interview to your first day here at AppDynamics. Our Talent Acquisition Team and Onboarding Team are very... More

"Culture Needs Work"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Good people, great benefits, convenient office location, and some of the senior leaders are great & care about making the company successful.

Cons

Since the recent acquisition left the office culture needing work. The face pace and demanding atmosphere is exhausting, and there is little reward for hard work. It's a very reactive environment and there is basically zero work life balance, hopefully they're working to solve for this.

5. "Ok Experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good product, Good payback for shares for many early joiners
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Bad politics but right now I guess things are changing
    Some people think as they own the company and are not very helpful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the current good work

6. "Safety/ Security Officet"

Former Employee - Security in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security in New York, NY

Pros

Security operation relies on my assessment of all safety and security conditions based on my years of experience and educational background. Decisions are predicated on my assessments and basic my supervision background of over twenty years in emergency services.

Cons

They only cons are pay raises, company security identification, promotions and tours should be eight hours a day for a forty hour work week. Holidays should be included too.

Advice to Management

Try to rectify the areas delineated above.

7. "I love my job"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

- intelligent and passionate people to work with
    - great benefits and perks
    - challenging work
    - growth opportunities

Cons

- cisco decisions are slow which impact business and hiring

Aug 14, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

We truly also enjoy the people we work with and our product is one of the best in the market right now! As far as planning and communication, our management tries their best to be as transparent as... More

8. "Good Company to work for..."

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a good place to work and learn! If you have an open mind and are ready to learn, this is the right place.

Cons

Fast pace and aggressive (not unethical) style of selling....not for everyone. Be ready to wear multiple hats.

Jun 12, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you for your review. We pride ourselves to be a great company to work for. The teams here do move very quickly to make sure we meet deadlines to reach our goals. Good luck!

"Career Changer"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-True team of A-players, the best salesforce in the business
    -Collaboration-I've never worked in an office where people are so open to share best practices, and celebrate the successes of their peers
    -Leadership-committed to helping the team win opportunities and find new and creative ways to differentiate in the market
    -Career Changer-joining AppDynamics was the single best decision I've made, both from a personal and professional perspective. When we say The Next Great Software Company, we mean it!

Cons

-Cisco acquisition-the business impact will be a positive, but many are concerned of the impact of the acquisition to AppDynamics' culture

Jun 2, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you for the kind review. We are very glad you feel AppDynamics is a career changer. We strive to have great talent to lead the team and projects here!

"Excellent Company Ran by Excellent People"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Highest paying career to date with uncapped commissions and achievable accelerators
    - Heavy INTERNAL promotion opportunities
    - Proven results driven sales process
    - Highly competitive work environment with leadership fighting with you in the trenches
    - Monday breakfast and Wednesday lunch provided (along with a kitchen full of snacks and drinks)

Cons

- Work environment and making money is so enjoyable that you forget about going home for family time.
    - Cisco large scale internal processes but AppDynamics will remain exclusive with Cisco dollars to back more growth and R&D
    - Tough and lengthy interview process (ensure top talent gets hired)

Advice to Management

Keep promoting within and inspiring to win together. Offer remote days for proven quota achievers

May 8, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

We are happy to hear you believe in the management and culture here at AppDynamics. We pride ourselves in making it a great environment to work in. Thank you for your review!