AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart people, great work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment that fosters innovation (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to work smartly to strike a decent work life balance in fast paced environment (in 17 reviews)

• always facing growing pains (can and usually a good thing) (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast growing company with ambitious goals and a strong engineering culture"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To understand the culture of AppDynamics, you need to start with its founders. Both Jyoti and Bhaskar were engineers before they started AppD. This means the company is very focused on technology and innovation which is great if you care deeply about DevOps and performance.

That being said, the culture is also growing and changing as more people join the company. It's a delicate balance between new and old but the growth challenge is what drew me to the company.

Everyone I've met has impressed me with a great work ethic and a willingness to push the envelope. This is not a company for people who want to sit back and turn on cruise control. I come to work every day excited to learn something new and help push the company a millimeter in a new direction.

Compensation is great here. The benefits are awesome. Drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Massage therapists two days a week. Good health care coverage. You've got everything you would expect of a tech company.

The bottomline is - join AppD if you want to grow your career and gain experience taking a company from 1000 employees to 10,000.

Cons

As I mentioned in the Pros section of my review, AppD is growing very fast. That means there will be some growing pains as people join and add to the culture of the company. All of this growth is exacerbated by the fact that we have very aggressive goals in the next 4-5 years.

Communication can be a challenge at times - making sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Hiring can be challenging because we're a very enterprise-focused company. That means our market awareness is not as strong as other companies in the valley. This will change as we continue to gain market share.

Advice to Management

Protect and maintain a culture of engineering, technology, and innovation. This is what will keep AppD competitive in the marketplace and attract top talent.

Be willingness to teach, mentor, and grow your employees so that they stay for the long haul.

We should make it clear that culture is very important at AppD and we should continually express and explicitly state our culture to employees year-round.

Have fun as much as possible. Keep doing awesome Halloween events. Keep doing ugly sweater parties. Keep volunteering around the world. Keep smiling.

AppDynamics Response

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you so much for the detailed review, we are so thrilled to have you on this rocketship with us! Glad to see that you share our vision and understand the pains that come with rapid growth. Our... More

"Great place to be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Although I have only been an employee for a couple of weeks, I have been very impressed. The interview process went very smooth, the on boarding was amazing, most of the paperwork and set up was handled via email prior to actually showing up and when I did everything was good to go.

People are great, product is awesome and the culture is solid...even with the integration with Cisco in full swing.

Cons

No real issues thus far, honestly.

Advice to Management

Stay true to what made AppD successful and figure out how best to leverage Cisco going forward.

3. "What An Amazing place to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics (More than 3 years)

Pros

the company will challenge you specially if you in engineering . The level of complex coding required here will just enhance one's skill for life. For me personally learning from leaders who are very hands and subject matter experts was a great learning experience .
    - Great mini kitchen
    - Great Office
    - If you are a Doer , Smart this place is for you . it will challenge you every day
    - Great leadership Specially in Engineering, Sales, Ops and CEO level
    - Completely Independent company even after acquired by Cisco
    - WFH Culture
    - Work life balance
    - Great People

Cons

- Management is easy on non performers .

Advice to Management

Please get rid of non performers. Please follow GE rule of 10% forced attrition
    6 months review instead of annual reviews

"BDR"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Great Management, Constantly being challenged, tons of support

Cons

Workspace flexibility - no work from home options

"Great place"

Pros

Smart people, great work life balance
    Very flexible in terms of what you can work on

Cons

No culture identity, possibly grew too fast

"Management should stick to their promise Appd Engagement Survey that data will not be shared,"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No great stuff to mention at this place, as this place is full Mgr, Mgr's buddy's place. Politics were there in every company but not like Appdy!!!

Cons

Looks like Mgmt shared the entire survey information, on what each and every person gave in his feedback on their best buddy’s without fixing actual Employee's problems,Mgmt and HR team screwed and screwing Employee’s who gave their feedback against to their thought’s.

Advice to Management

Not sure why AppD Mgmt want Employees to participate in Employee Survey as you don't want to take any action on Employee’s problem, apart from screwing Employee’s career, who gave their valid feedback, you don't even schedule meeting with the Employee’s or at least with certain group of people who participate in the Survey. (at least this is possible in AppD as the company is not that much big enough to talk to participants in the survey,..)

In AppD VP's are much powerful they don't even care for other's growth apart from their group of buddy’s growth.Which clearly shared in the recent Focal review’s and their outcomes, in AppD VP’s are busy in building grave’s for member’s who are fair in the Employee survey's...

Just a request please don't waste time and money in surveys as you guys can't "make AppD better!" , Just an advice to all the new Employee's pls prepare yourself to butter your VP or all his favourite buddy's, request not to participate in any of surveys as nothing is Anonymous everything is shared with your name and the content what you specified in the survey...

Recent Employee's voice in AppD say’s past days are better than today's , earlier AppD Management at least they hear employee's voice today's they became completely blind in doing politics and building grave’s to the employee’s who are not in favour to VPs or his favourite buddy’s !!!,

HR team in AppD they screw you, feel like Employee's missed Susane!!!

"Managers With No Experience"

Pros

It's a mirage. The only pro is that some of the people are genuinely nice and helpful and the office is great.

Cons

Only at AppDynamics will a manager with absolutely NO management experience and multiple HR complaints against him, get promoted to Director.
    The management system at AppDynamics is a joke and plays basically on favoritism. They promote people to managers that have no business managing people and have absolutely no experience.
    If you want to grow in your role, you are roadblocked because god forbid you have more experience or certifications than your manager. They are not interested in letting people take initiatives or come up with ideas and they are constantly shutting down any conversation as a "miscommunication in role".
    Managers are clueless and like to push their weight around based on their title and nothing else. Just because you were a good analyst and amazing at Salesforce doesn't mean you should have a team under you. The fact that someone with HR complaints against him and no management experience got promoted to Director says a lot about the company.

"High Tech Environment that Stifles Personal Growth"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Culture, Surrounded by Talent, Hyper-Growth, Fun Environment to be in

Cons

Payouts often incorrect with no resolution in sight, poisonous office politics, very hard to move around in the company, many in management don't care about personal growth.

"Stay Away from Engineering: Beware"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- In the City
    - Free snacks
    - Benefits are good
    - A lot of free time to do whatever you want because you are at Cisco AppD

Cons

- Implementing an Indian Oracle Environment
    - No empowerment
    - Only Yes Man Culture and those are the people that get promoted
    - Number of key resources leaving engineering and can’t hire new people

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees and listen to your survey results.

"Inside Sales"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Autonomy/flexibility
    -Compensation
    -Product (Market Leader)
    -Culture (Great Coworkers & Office Environment)

Cons

-Career development could be better
    -Poor performers are not held accountable

Advice to Management

-Continue to retain top performers
    -Invest in top talent and help prepare them for future roles