AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.6
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great focus on work-life-balance" (in 27 reviews)

• "There's nothing like having a great product in an exploding market" (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to manage work-life balance" (in 31 reviews)

• "Some growing pains here and there, but that is to be expected" (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Good people, balanced culture"

Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefits thanks to Cisco
    Perks and office culture of a startup
    Smart, hardworking coworkers who genuinely care about helping you out
    Accessible, down-to-earth executives

Cons

Communication issues of a smaller company transitioning into a large one
    Sometimes speed is prioritized over quality or planning
    Still progress to be made on diversity & inclusion in management and sales/ product orgs

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on the strategic initiatives and keep honing and editing the priorities to provide clarity.

AppDynamics Response

Dec 7, 2018 – Talent Team

We appreciate you taking the time to review your experience at AppDynamics. It’s great to hear you’re enjoying the Cisco benefits, startup perks, and the people at AppD, including the eStaff team... More

2. "Recruited in AppDynamics"

Current Employee - Release Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Release Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very professional, technologically advanced and accepting

Cons

I did not experience any cons. I wish there is an AppDynamics shuttle from South Bay at 6:390am PST

Advice to Management

Keep up the Good work! Please simplify on-boarding and sign-ons

"Fantastic Culture!"

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The biggest pros for me, is the culture and the people here. AppDynamics truly cares about the people who work here and does a great job at building a strong community for us to learn, grow and challenge ourselves. Everyone here is very supportive, sharing best practices to ensure you are successful. I am surrounded by people who constantly push me to be better and help me get there.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Continue open communication with employees especially as we are more integrated with Cisco.

"Fantastic company, great benefits"

Current Employee - Senior Build and Release Engineer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Build and Release Engineer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Entire compensation package is awesome.
     * Tons of very smart people who all want to succeed.
     * Great focus on work-life-balance.
     * People's input is valued and requested from senior management.

Cons

Nothing really. This has been a terrific experience and a great decision to come work for this company.

Advice to Management

Keeping asking employees for their advice, its working to create a positive culture.

"-"

I worked at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Great place to work
    Ample of learning opportunities
    It was a startup when I joined and the team was great

Cons

Cant think of anything negative

"Depending on what you're looking for, could be great..."

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Leader in the APM space *along with Dynatrace and others who are catching up
    - Leadership team (CEO, CRO, VP of Sales, etc) are A-Players, world-class leaders
    - In "most" cases you are treated with respect and once earned, trusted to do your job (i.E., run your individual franchise, drive revenue)
    - Training, resources (SE's, $, marketing, etc) all available, there's nothing you can think of asking for that they wouldn't at least consider providing if it means helping you drive revenue
    - Work hard, play hard, realizing that's cliche, it truly is the case, however. You are required to work your tail off and the upside could potentially be exponential. More $1m earners than I've ever seen at a single place in my career.
    - Generally speaking, most people and leaders want to help and access to C suite, product folks, people that can help de-risk and drive a campaign forward are there.

Cons

- APM is becoming a commodity, with a race to the bottom from a pricing standpoint. Differentiation is becoming difficult to position and I think AppD has struggled with the messaging and application of BiQ.
    - It's still a PTC, BMC BladeLogic boys club
    - Feast or famine is pretty common. You'll either crush your # or struggle to grind it out to get to 60-80% ote. This is a combination of things but they have hired significantly and you need customers with transactional businesses, pain, etc. Not all customers in your assigned territory will fit this description.
    - Like anywhere, favoritism and politics exist here no question.
    - Heavy KPI, metric-driven day-to-day, I found this to be helpful but for many, I could see it being not their cup of tea.

Advice to Management

I found my time at AppD generally rewarding, learned a lot and met many great people. I would say that the feast or famine, the lack of a true meritocracy (although they would like you to believe that is the case) is problematic. You've had many talented salespeople move on because they weren't put in a position or helped to be successful (super successful). Find creative ways to keep your sales people in the game, good luck.

"Enterprise Account Executive"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The support the AppDynamics team provides from an enablement standpoint is incredible. I feel the process matched with the enablement support are setting me up for success.

Cons

I don't have any cons at this point. So far I am extremely happy with my decision to accept a position at AppDynamics.

"Electric Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Appdynamics for a little over half a year and am most impressed by how everyone's input is valued. Generally, everyone works towards a common vision, but is given the freedom to execute on that vision with their own unique style. There truly is respect for the individual.

Cons

While pay is good-to-great, San Francisco cost of living can eat into it.

Advice to Management

Don't let the culture get watered down as we continue to grow.

"Poor Management and Lack of product innovation"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good snack bar
    WFH culture
    Basic bay area tech goodies

Cons

Complete lack of product innovation. All sales made is based on massive sales machinery build without it it be hard product to sell as in last 3 year others have caught up. May be cause management was busy playing office politics

Moral with high achievers is low. Most of them are looking for new jobs or left already. The ones around are content to do bare minimum .

A company which was such a great product company is now left to an avg product . There is certainly lack in product management and overall leadership is weak .

Advice to Management

Improve product to a level its desired by customers not pushed as part of massive sales machinery

"A sales driven company that lacks innovation"

I worked at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

This is a great place to work for anyone in sales or straight out of college; not so much for experienced professionals. You get catered lunches and reasonable benefits.

Cons

This a company that's being anchored by the sales team and CRO organization. Product Management, Marketing, Support, HR, and Operations are not valued. When the founder left, several engineers left as well which led to lack of innovation. The company produces new functionality that's driven by Gartner or a competition. The company is now comfortable having access to Cisco capital and feels that product management isn't a priority. What started off as a strong product is slowly declining. Many competitors have begun to catch up or surpass AppDynamics. The sales organization lacks diversity and received the most perks. The current CEO is not focused on new product development but more so how to sell as much software as possible. Sales compensation is paid out 6 months later and is often incorrect even with the new automated system. Sales organization receives the majority of perks and funding to party and hold meaningless offsites.

Advice to Management

The Cisco overlay is bound to happen within the next couple of years and the gravy train will come to a halt. Lack of investment in a great product will ultimately lead to key talent going elsewhere. Invest in culture and product before the solution becomes shelfware.

AppDynamics Response

Dec 7, 2018 – Talent Team

Thanks for leaving us a review. Your feedback on the catered lunches and good benefits are spot on! However, we are sorry to hear you had an overall bad experience with our company. We believe that... More