AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.5
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good work & work life balance" (in 17 reviews)

• "Great culture, great product, great team" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "you need to work smartly to strike a decent work life balance in fast paced environment" (in 17 reviews)

• "Some growing pains from time/time, but with a company experiencing this rate of growth, that comes with the territory" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Best People, Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Of course things vary from team to team, but in my experience, I have been given so much opportunity to try new things and succeed (and fail) in a safe environment. I feel recognized for the work I do and I feel appreciated. There is always work to be done, which means opportunity and growth. I am grateful for the personal and professional development trainings offered regularly. Also, AppDynamos are seriously the best people I have ever worked with. Working with a team that is motivated, smart, funny, care, and are HUMAN makes a big difference in staying excited to come into work.

Cons

Growth and change management is hard - everywhere. I am glad that our leadership cares enough to double click on what employees have issues with, and spend time, resources and money to fix those. At the end of the day, every company has its quirks and downsides, but after many friends have left AppD, I believe that the 'grass is always greener' theory applies here. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't, and our "devil" is definitely manageable!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employees.
    Continue to protect the AppD culture and integrate with Cisco only where it is beneficial for us.
    Continue to manage politics.
    Build a gym in SF!

2. "Excited to be an AppDynamo"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just joined about 3 months ago and am loving it so far. The teams are really supportive and collaborative. I feel like I get good recognition, direction, and feedback. The culture is awesome, one of the best I've ever had! You're treated with maturity, respect, and autonomy. The work is engaging, and you're able to work on things outside your scope. I've been able to pick up things I've never done with around 7 years exp. I love that we're at a phase where the teams are still small, but there's revenue / encouragement to branch into new initiatives. So far, I've been able to learn a lot and have a supportive system to do so.

Cons

Normal challenges of scaling company.

Advice to Management

As we scale, make sure we're able to have the same contributions. Right now it's still very interesting work, and it doesn't seem like there's too much red tape. I would hate to see that change as we become larger.

3. "Glad I came to AppD"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Challenging work
    -Excellent comp and benefits
    -Fun culture
    -Growth opportunity

Cons

With any company that is seeing crazy growth, there are going to be a few growing pains but I think there is a dedicated effort from the leadership team to correct those issues.

4. "Great People, Great Product"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

The people are fantastic - managers that care about your growth and team members that are supportive.

Cons

Still some kinks with trying to integrate or work through some of Cisco's systems, but they're listening to our feedback and making changes to accommodate our needs.

Advice to Management

Continue being open and transparent with the company!

5. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiting Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees have the chance to provide input and build on a solid foundation of culture, process and achievement. The leadership from the CEO down seems genuinely invested in creating a great employee experience.

Cons

The post liquidity event processes have been challenging but the worst is behind us.

6. "Start-up culture with big company benefits"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The employee centric focus of AppD is in a league of it's own. They invest aggressively not only financially, but also in the development of their employees. If you are looking for a company you can provide immediate impact, create your career path, make good money, and have fun doing it, this is your place!

Cons

None to think of at this time

Advice to Management

Keep being focused on the development of your employees, the award winning culture, and being a leader.

"Love being an AppDynamo!"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

#1 our culture and work life balance. Every single day I love coming to work because of the people I am surrounded by. We appreciate working hard, but we invest on playing hard too. We also value diversity and inclusiveness, and are transparent that we need to do better, and are developing programs and ERGs to ensure we continue to be better. I also appreciate getting breakfast every Monday morning, it's a great way to kick off our week!

Cons

Better communication in regards to HR and employee benefits. Many employees feel left in the dark in regards to bonus and review cycles. This should be a priority.

Advice to Management

Continue with what you're doing! Definitely see the vision coming to fruition which is exciting. We have some growing pains, but what company doesn't?

"Flexible, Kind, Challenging"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

-Great work life balance, opportunities for WFH / remote
    -Challenging, still fairly small teams allowing for opportunities to have impact internally and externally
    -Great culture - Friendly and collaborative teams
    -Encouraging Leadership - No micromanagement, I feel valued in my role

Cons

There are still some integrations with Cisco that need to be mapped out, but I'm not worried about this. It's part of ensuring we can operate independently with visibility. Cisco has a great culture, and I'm happy we can adopt some of their practices.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Truly love coming into work and the amazing teams I get to work alongside. Don't lower the bar.

"Grow, challenge, build"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Since working at AppD, I've had great opportunities to challenge myself in many areas. These challenges have contributed greatly to my career and growth as an individual. Insider tip, don't wait for opportunities. Rather, communicate your desired path with your manager, create a plan, share results and deliver.

Cons

We can do a better job around communication and open dialogue. Much has been done to remedy this and there has to be a daily effort to engrain it within the culture.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and act on the feedback. Must share/communicate action items and results.

10. "Great place for passionate people"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Industry leading technology, intelligent and passionate colleagues, great culture, challenging work, competitive pay and benefits.

Cons

Since the company is in hyper-growth and building out processes/best practices, things change quickly from one day to the next. Not the right place for someone who does not deal well with change or ambiguity.