AppDynamics Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
AppDynamics President and CEO David Wadhwani
David Wadhwani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart people, great work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• It is a fast paced environment that fosters innovation (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • you need to work smartly to strike a decent work life balance in fast paced environment (in 17 reviews)

• always facing growing pains (can and usually a good thing) (in 17 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Fast growing company with ambitious goals and a strong engineering culture"

Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

To understand the culture of AppDynamics, you need to start with its founders. Both Jyoti and Bhaskar were engineers before they started AppD. This means the company is very focused on technology and innovation which is great if you care deeply about DevOps and performance.

That being said, the culture is also growing and changing as more people join the company. It's a delicate balance between new and old but the growth challenge is what drew me to the company.

Everyone I've met has impressed me with a great work ethic and a willingness to push the envelope. This is not a company for people who want to sit back and turn on cruise control. I come to work every day excited to learn something new and help push the company a millimeter in a new direction.

Compensation is great here. The benefits are awesome. Drinks and snacks in the kitchen. Massage therapists two days a week. Good health care coverage. You've got everything you would expect of a tech company.

The bottomline is - join AppD if you want to grow your career and gain experience taking a company from 1000 employees to 10,000.

Cons

As I mentioned in the Pros section of my review, AppD is growing very fast. That means there will be some growing pains as people join and add to the culture of the company. All of this growth is exacerbated by the fact that we have very aggressive goals in the next 4-5 years.

Communication can be a challenge at times - making sure the left hand knows what the right hand is doing.

Hiring can be challenging because we're a very enterprise-focused company. That means our market awareness is not as strong as other companies in the valley. This will change as we continue to gain market share.

Advice to Management

Protect and maintain a culture of engineering, technology, and innovation. This is what will keep AppD competitive in the marketplace and attract top talent.

Be willingness to teach, mentor, and grow your employees so that they stay for the long haul.

We should make it clear that culture is very important at AppD and we should continually express and explicitly state our culture to employees year-round.

Have fun as much as possible. Keep doing awesome Halloween events. Keep doing ugly sweater parties. Keep volunteering around the world. Keep smiling.

AppDynamics Response

Feb 17, 2017 – AppDynamics Representative

Thank you so much for the detailed review, we are so thrilled to have you on this rocketship with us! Glad to see that you share our vision and understand the pains that come with rapid growth. Our... More

"Great company, great leadership, great vision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Early stage, hyper-growth company that will reward you for your hard work. We all believe this company is a springboard for our careers.

Cons

Still a maturing company that might "shoot from the hip."

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. We'll get there together.

3. "Amazing growth company with unparalleled culture!"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've only been with AppD for a short time, but have been at a few start-ups previously, and I can honestly say this company is superior to any company I've worked at before. Both the caliber of my co-workers, and the open, collaborative environment is truly amazing. The culture is cultivated from from the top down, and the tremendous growth potential makes AppD a great place if your looking for an engaging career.

Cons

I think my tenure prevents me from having much to offer for cons.

4. "Dynamic environment, dynamic people, dynamic product ... Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Technology Evangelist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Evangelist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast growing company with an innovative and disruptive product in the APM market. Fun corporate culture that rewards good work and innovative ideas. Cutting edge take on product, marketing, and sales offers terrific opportunity for professional growth. Tons of perks are always good and add to productivity.

Cons

A lot to do!!! Rapid growth means you don't have a ton of down time (to me this is a pro but to others this will be a con).

5. "Amazing and On Fire!"

Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of High Energy Growth with Incredibly Talented People!

Cons

None at this point... which leaves you wondering: Is it the fairy tale fantasy of a break-though start-up company that really is doing it right? Let's ride the wave!

Advice to Management

Keep out of the politics and your Heads Down as you have been!

"Great Company to be part of !!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time

Pros

Hot startup, growing so fast its hard to believe
    Great people, smart, hard working, great track record, and they are all friendly
    Technology leader, always great to be part of a product that really works and helps customers

Cons

It is a fast paced environment, not for those who are lazy or want to kick back

Advice to Management

Keep on hiring the best people in this industry, never lower the bar!

7. "Great company culture"

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Monthly happy hours, catered breakfast and lunch once a week, snacks and beer in the kitchen, game room, ping pong, great location (SOMA), fitness center in the building, office outings (segway tour, paint balling, wine tasting, etc.), superhero mascot, modern office space, dynamic company with lots of growth, not much to complain about!

Cons

No cons at this time.

"Become part of a real success story"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A true startup success story,
    Hyper-growth period providing many possibilities for employees
    Fun environment: Work hard, party hard
    Good team, great customers

Cons

Not a really a con but self-starter personalities required
    Some normal growing pains due to amazing growing speed
    Work load reflects startup mentality

9. "AppDynamics is a fast-growing, exciting, welcoming and fun company to work for."

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are very easy to work with. There is a lot of collaboration and support among the different departments. The work is exciting and I can see the results of my efforts very quickly and am appreciated for the work I do.

Cons

I find working in the open office environment can be distracting. It seems especially difficult for the sales people who are always on the phones.

Advice to Management

I would have the sapes people have offices or at least a quieter separate area where they can make their calls without all the other noise and distractions.

"One Of The Best Career Decisions I Have Made Yet"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer - Customer Success in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AppDynamics full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was looking for something new and exciting and I finally setteled with AppDynamics. They have filled those requirements and so much more. I was fairly new to the whole concept of APM before I was thrown into it and the excitement hasn't let up since day one. Even with a good run professionally with good teams, good projects, good pay, good people etc. AppDynamics has taken it all to another level. The company is loaded with smart, hard-working people and every piece of the company is dynamic and energetic. The cutlure is really fun and even in my not so long tenure have started to make not just good office relationships but even good friends there. (The external events such as paintball, dinners, happy hour, the zoo, etc don't hurt either.)

There is always something to learn, something to investigate, something to do. Its a great ride and I only see it staying that way.

Bottom line, this was a good career decision to come to AppDynamics and I am very happy to be there. I am learning a lot and also getting to be involved in many things in addition to my own job which keeps things interesting.

Cons

In full honestly, it was a bit overwhelming to start, but with the combination of being a new domain for myself and a slight change from my previous professional life this was probably due to my own lack of knowledge in the domain along with the growing pains of a start-up.

Sometimes the battles are long and even with that feeling of driving a problem to a successful conclusion, it can wear on you. This though would apply anywhere and isn't specific to AppDynamics.

Advice to Management

Do not let explosive growth prevent new ideas and recommendations from staff from ever seeing the light of day. Embrace the strengths of staff, even if those strengths are out of their area within the company.